• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most linear near field studio monitors?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Which of the two has the better mid range?

What about stereo image? I don't leak speakers where you can't the sound like a sonic picture and sit too much inside it. I like to hear it Infront of me like a canvas
310s on both accounts.

shal

Has anyone compared the PSIs with the Amphions acoustically? Or with the K310?

Besides the measurements.

Google is your friend:
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=13809755&postcount=41

But K310 is 3 way, it is not the same distance of listen .
The corresponding PSI will be more A21 or even A23 that is a 3 ways.

But....
Perhaps before choose a solution, you have to defined the problem :
- with Bryston or active speaker ? (I have a Bryston 4B, so I know the beast)
- each distance, near is 1m or 2m, 3m ? At 1m avoid 3ways so avoid K310
- etc etc

Before speak to brand name or speaker model, define what is your need

dfuller

Major Contributor
Um... No? That doesn't make sense. Neumann specifies the recommended listening distance for the KH310 as between 1m-2.5m, and minimum 0.75m.

OP
S

spankjam

Google is your friend:
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=13809755&postcount=41

But K310 is 3 way, it is not the same distance of listen .
The corresponding PSI will be more A21 or even A23 that is a 3 ways.

But....
Perhaps before choose a solution, you have to defined the problem :
- with Bryston or active speaker ? (I have a Bryston 4B, so I know the beast)
- etc etc

Before speak to brand name or speaker model, define what is your need

Close Monitoring between 1 and 2 Meters for mixing / mastering purposes.

I own a Bryston 3B SST, which is roughly 140 Watts.

Atm I don't have to option to go to a store and need something again after the flood catastrophe here in Bad Neuenahr.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Since you seem to want to continue using the Bryston, perhaps consider the LS50 Meta? Passive, coaxial, great directivity, more neutral than most studio monitors. Needs a sub though.

MrSoul4470

Genelec and Neuman tests get boring in here. Good FR, good spinorama.

Its like you can buy them blind.

I have both Neumann KH 120 and Genelec 8331 which both have excellent FR and good spinorama, but still sound VERY different. DON'T buy blind based on meassurements! ;)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which of the two has the better mid range?

What about stereo image? I don't leak speakers where you can't the sound like a sonic picture and sit too much inside it. I like to hear it Infront of me like a canvas

I find that in the near field, speakers with narrow directivity and big waveguides work best. Prevent reflections off your monitor and other nearby surfaces. This tends to give a very stable center image.

I would seriously look at the JBL pro models.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I have both Neumann KH 120 and Genelec 8331 which both have excellent FR and good spinorama, but still sound VERY different. DON'T buy blind based on meassurements! ;)
Can you do a quick comparison?
Thanks

archerious

Neumann KH80 or KEF R3 with EQ are the most linear nearfield speakers you can buy.

Seconding the R3 recommendation. Best part is Amazon and Bestbuy have them with great return policies.

MrSoul4470

Can you do a quick comparison?
Thanks

I plan to do a long comparison (once I have time to), so just quick here (at the risk of getting a scolding for maybe posting in the wrong thread).

First impression with the Genelec 8331 after two years I've spent with Neumann KH 120: Tonality is close. First thought was "Huh? That's not so different!".

Conclusions after a couple of weeks:
- KH120 sound much more direct "into the face", very intense, close, but also kind of fatiguing. It's like standing in first row at a live concert. A great experience, but you're glad when it's over. 8331 more relaxed, laid back, maybe more HiFi.
- Sweetspot with KH120 is tiny in comparison. Sitting one feet out of the sweet spot makes them sound like crap. 8331 have a huge sweet spot. They kind of fill the room with sound. KH120 is for a very small listening spot only.
- KH120 show better midrange detail. I hear things with them that stay hidden with the 8331. KH120 just reveal EVERYTHING in the mix.
- Bass on KH120 is a lot of fun. I thought it was very clean, until I heard 8331. The bass on 8331 is very very dry, very precise, deeper.
- Music sounds farther away with 8331 (at the same listening distance of about 1 meter). KH120 sound like wearing headphones. The sound sticks more to the speakers with KH120.
- KH120 sound a bit darker, maybe muddier. 8331 sound brighter and more open and airy to me.

I think they are both excellent speakers and it's hard to say which is actually better. The KH120 has qualities that the 8331 don't have and vice versa. After a few weeks with 8331 I prefer them and keep them as my main speakers.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't have to option to go to a store
That's extremely bad in such price range and with your requirements.
All speakers mentioned here have linear FR, but different sound if you really need to use them in mastering.
PSA A21 or even A23 is very good solution, linear and not fatiguing, but too expensive for what they offer. If you don't need zero latency already phase corrected speakers (sometimes it's just not required), there are lot of other brands for the same or less money.
I'd ask members at Gearspace at least for comparison.

MrSoul4470

Thank you for your detailed comparison, interesting that the KH120 kept up so well as its costing approximately only one fourth of the Genelec.

Like I said, both of them have their weak and strong points. I still think the KH120 is fantastic and the main reason I have decided now to keep the 8331 is that they are much less fatiguing (I think the coaxial concept helps a lot here too). For production I would choose the KH120 over the 8331 without further thinking.

PS: My KH120 are on eBay now (https://www.ebay.de/itm/174904109071)

OP
S

spankjam

Has anyone tried the Barefoot footprint? Or are they just marketing, overpriced crap?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Has anyone tried the Barefoot footprint? Or are they just marketing, overpriced crap?
Owned a pair of the FP01s. They're good, but... Not nearly as good as the KH310s in my book. The bass extension is quite fun, though...

Top Bottom