• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most linear near field studio monitors?

spankjam

Howdy again on another note,

What are most linear near field speakers / monitors for studio purposes?

I see that people on this board seem to be very educated when it comes to speakers' performance rather than marketing.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By "linear" do you mean flat frequency response? If so, Neumann KH80 (dual sub required, which is not automatically a bad thing) or the Genelec One series (8341 etc)

Probably Neumann KH120 as well which has been measured elsewhere but not here. Easier to get away with 1 sub on these, but not by much and that assumes 1 listening position. KH310 and JBL 708p are also great

Last edited:
OP
S

spankjam

By "linear" do you mean flat frequency response? If so, Neumann KH80 (dual sub required, which is not automatically a bad thing) or the Genelec One series (8341 etc)

Probably Neumann KH120 as well which has been measured elsewhere but not here. Easier to get away with 1 sub on these, but not by much and that assumes 1 listening position. KH310 and JBL 708p are also great

Would you say that the KH310 might be too much for near field? I'm sitting pretty closely to my near fields (NS10 style).

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you say that the KH310 might be too much for near field? I'm sitting pretty closely to my near fields (NS10 style).

They're officially mid-field monitors, so yes I would probably say you're better off with the smaller end of the Neumann or Genelec. if your vertical positioning is tuned, as I hope it would be in a studio setting, Genelec 80x0 series is cheaper than the 1 series but likely just as useful

shal

In Europe , PSI have a good reputation (and even a very good reputation) but not cheap (Swiss quality).

The A17 as near field

https://www.psiaudio.swiss/a17-m-powerful-near-field-studio-monitor/

PSIA-A17_M-SPL_graphic.png

dfuller

Major Contributor
I sit roughly 4 feet (1.3ish meters) from my KH310s and have no problem with integration.

OP
S

spankjam

In Europe , PSI have a good reputation (and even a very good reputation) but not cheap (Swiss quality).

The A17 as near field

https://www.psiaudio.swiss/a17-m-powerful-near-field-studio-monitor/

PSIA-A17_M-SPL_graphic.png
The PSI seem to be better than the Neumann 310?

I don't like the genelecs, I have a hard time making out the room of the stereo imagine with them, it seems very unreachable or too much inside.

I wish they'd be passive monitors so I could power them with my Bryston.

So PSI is the thing huh?

Frgirard

Major Contributor

I don't like the genelecs, I have a hard time making out the room of the stereo imagine with them, it seems very unreachable or too much inside.

So PSI is the thing huh?
Amphion if you want to use your tank.

In the real life the monitor designation is a commercial definition.
The difference between monitor and hifi is in the commercial circuit and the decoration.

So Linear speakers see Revel...

Last edited:

Josq

So PSI is the thing huh?

I would say a single frequency response graph is insufficient information. You also would want to have something like a spinorama to get some clue what the off-axis response is.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Linearity will be affected by your room and any nearby reflective surfaces. Free-field, there are many speakers which surpass any reasonable standard of on or off-axis linearity.

Math Audio has a VST for equalizing monitors, and many of the better monitor makers sell similar calibration systems. If you want the ultimate in accuracy you will want to look into that.

I would take a look at the JBL 705 if you want a relatively small speaker, although it is pretty deep.

shal

The PSI seem to be a lot linear though, I wonder whether a bryston + Amphion combination would sound better than the built in amps in the PSIs.

Research great Linearity and use of external Amlifier is somewhat contradictory

Psi have a complex system to obtain this linearity and amplifiers is a part of this system .
https://www.psiaudio.swiss/technology/
extract:
The CPR system accurately aligns the phase response of the monitor to recreate the perfect transients and space image of real life sound...

ADAPTIVE OUTPUT IMPEDANCE – AOI
It is very easy to get a loudspeaker membrane to move, but this movement needs to be perfectly controlled. It needs to accelerate and stop as fast as possible without creating any unwanted vibrations.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR-approved list of brands for your question in alphabetic order:

D & D, Genelec, JBL, Kef, Kii, Neuman, Revel.

Any I forgot?
Within these brands you will find models for varying distances, maximum SPL levels, Room size and overall budget. From $350 a pair to well over $50,000 a pair...

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The PSI seem to be a lot linear though, I wonder whether a bryston + Amphion combination would sound better than the built in amps in the PSIs.
Psi is an active powered speaker. You want to use your Bryston.

So what do you want?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If anything, it is suited for the lowest distances out of all the KHs - midrange / tweeter spacing is low and roughly on par with the KH80, crossover is low at 2 kHz, and hiss level is even lower than average (~16 dB SPL @ 10 cm according to S&R, which means it should disappear from about 40 cm out, it's among the very lowest they've measured).

The only valid reason not to do it would be the sheer decadence of using speakers as capable as these in extreme nearfield (at 23 W each in idle, they're not exactly power misers either, and they do seem to get fairly warm - mind you, I imagine a typical Bryston is thirstier than that, seeing 80-100 W in idle is not unusual for high-powered AB amps). I imagine most of us would be stopping at KH120s, Genelec 8030Cs (maybe 8330As for GLM) or Kali IN-5s. You could get fancier with some Genelec Ones though (8331 or 8341 perhaps).

OP
S

spankjam

Has anyone compared the PSIs with the Amphions acoustically? Or with the K310?

Besides the measurements.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Has anyone compared the PSIs with the Amphions acoustically? Or with the K310?

Besides the measurements.
Amphions and KH310s, yes - the KH310s are noticeably better. Amphions are cloudy in the low mids, KH310s are not.

OP
S

spankjam

Amphions and KH310s, yes - the KH310s are noticeably better. Amphions are cloudy in the low mids, KH310s are not.
Which of the two has the better mid range?

What about stereo image? I don't leak speakers where you can't the sound like a sonic picture and sit too much inside it. I like to hear it Infront of me like a canvas

Top Bottom