• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Jay gets some beautiful (if to your taste) new speakers in:

Several of Sonus Faber's upper-end speakers have had user-adjustable rear-firing arrays, typically consisting of a tweeter and cone mid or midwoofer, and this model is one of them. This approach allows some adjustment of the in-room reflection field independent of the direct sound. Imo it would be interesting to know what sort of frequency response they chose for the rear-firing array.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a funny design. It allows you to turn the speaker into a DiPole. You could basically do the same by hooking up a small bookshelf speaker behind larger fronts and control how much sound you send toward the rear wall. Not a feature most would desire. I guess that's why it has an off switch. Speaker special effects tend to get old quickly.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It's a funny design. It allows you to turn the speaker into a DiPole. You could basically do the same by hooking up a small bookshelf speaker behind larger fronts and control how much sound you send toward the rear wall. Not a feature most would desire. I guess that's why it has an off switch. Speaker special effects tend to get old quickly.

Without knowing the details I'm not sure we can reliably dismiss the rear-firing array's contribution as a "special effect". For instance, suppose the power response of the rear-firing array is tailored to "zig" where the off-axis response of the front-firing array "zags". In this scenario, the rear-firing array would be correcting the net off-axis response.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Without knowing the details I'm not sure we can reliably dismiss the rear-firing array's contribution as a "special effect". For instance, suppose the power response of the rear-firing array is tailored to "zig" where the off-axis response of the front-firing array "zags". In this scenario, the rear-firing array would be correcting the net off-axis response.

Dipole speakers are intentionally wired out-of-phase between front and rear drivers in order to achieve the desired diffuse, ambient surround sound effect, while avoiding bass cancellation issues. The trade-off is they may not be well-suited for critical multichannel music listening. The SE17 SoundScape Control offers an adjustable rear 29mm Neodymium dome tweeter and a 120mm paper cone midrange. These rear drivers can be oriented to one side or the other. In this way, it's possible to direct their emission inwards or outwards with respect to side walls of the room. With the inward-facing rear speakers, expect increased definition of the soundstage. With rear speakers facing outwards, you may experience a more expansive soundstage but with a slight loss of focus. This solution requires a space of at least 2 meters between each speaker and the side wall.

se17.png

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

All those drivers and it culminates in a mere 7" 2-way with the tweeter on a flat waveguide?

That's a little sad. Such archaic thinking. If they wanted to make a competent speaker they could've made the midrange a 4" and given it a shot at even-ish wide directivity.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I've never been a fan of Jay or any of his commentary. I made up my mind over 50 years ago on driver type, nothing made today
would EVER change my mind. If what I heard and loved for all that time sounded good then and my ears were a lot better 20-40
years ago why question the speaker type now. Am I magically going to start hearing better because of way, Way, WAY, overpriced
speakers.

LOL I don't think so. I could buy a whole new luxury chicken coup for that and probably a barn to go with it. I had an uncle that paid
1000.00 usd for 3 mules, 200 acres and a barn. The house burnt down. Just sayin'

Jay is a character that's for darn sure. I bet he just throws his underwear away and never washes it. What do you think? Tom Cruz thinkin'
I still wash my wares. I used aluminum foil twice too, if I use it at all. :)

Regards

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
All those drivers and it culminates in a mere 7" 2-way with the tweeter on a flat waveguide?

Hence my speculation of the rear-firing drivers possibly being "voiced" to zig where the front array's off-axis energy zags.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

A pregnant or kangaroo loudspeaker, would be even more fun if the rear bookshelf was removable :p

1714044719520.png

Optically I like all other SF models more, this one lacks looks too bulky/crude and missing the Italian elegance of their other models https://www.sonusfaber.com/en/speakers

Top Bottom