• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

madmalkav

I have considered that splitter you mention as I'm in EU and it is impossible to get a Schiit Magnius here right now, but for someone in the US the Magnius with its balances passthrough might be better option.

PS: why there are never good discount codes for the Monoprice EU site

jackdanyal

Just got the THX 887 today (ordered 2 days ago for 200 euros) and it seems that on SE end my current Liquid Spark beats is with a huge margin. I use Liquid Spark with Fostex T60rp and I get a comfortable sound level on 12 o'clock on low gain. On THX 887 I get the same amount of loudness only on high gain and 12 o'clock from SE output. Ordered a balanced cable for my headphones, will get them soon. But can anybody explain me the Gain switcher. Is gain 1 is low or normal? I mean we have 1, 2, 3 on gain control, does it mean that 1 is low, 2 is normal and 3 is high? Or 1 is already normal, 2 is high and 3, hmm, extra high? Couldn't find any manual or smth like that.

Jds81

Just got the THX 887 today (ordered 2 days ago for 200 euros) and it seems that on SE end my current Liquid Spark beats is with a huge margin. I use Liquid Spark with Fostex T60rp and I get a comfortable sound level on 12 o'clock on low gain. On THX 887 I get the same amount of loudness only on high gain and 12 o'clock from SE output. Ordered a balanced cable for my headphones, will get them soon. But can anybody explain me the Gain switcher. Is gain 1 is low or normal? I mean we have 1, 2, 3 on gain control, does it mean that 1 is low, 2 is normal and 3 is high? Or 1 is already normal, 2 is high and 3, hmm, extra high? Couldn't find any manual or smth like that.
I have similar headphones, modified t50rp, so I would think sensitivity is similar too. I don't have any experience with the liquid spark, just got the 887. I find even on gain setting 1, 12 o'clock would be too loud for me for extended listening. I am being very careful with my ears, but I think 12 o'clock and up would be considered properly loud on my setup. My headphones cannot do balanced without another mod, so not getting the extra oomph there. I do have balanced connections from my DAC to the 887.
All that said, t50rp is not a t60rp, but maybe helpful info. Wondering if it could be an issue with the unit, the DAC input level, or even the headphone cable/connector/jack.

jackdanyal

I have similar headphones, modified t50rp, so I would think sensitivity is similar too. I don't have any experience with the liquid spark, just got the 887. I find even on gain setting 1, 12 o'clock would be too loud for me for extended listening. I am being very careful with my ears, but I think 12 o'clock and up would be considered properly loud on my setup. My headphones cannot do balanced without another mod, so not getting the extra oomph there. I do have balanced connections from my DAC to the 887.
All that said, t50rp is not a t60rp, but maybe helpful info. Wondering if it could be an issue with the unit, the DAC input level, or even the headphone cable/connector/jack.
Good information. Unfortunately the first unit of 887 just stopped working after 2 days and Monoprice sent me the second one as exchange. Should come in 2-3 day and I will test it again. But I agree, it maybe because of the balanced dac. But who knows, currently I have only unbalanced dac, but thinking about topping d10b os something better maybe. I’m pretty sure it’s not the headphones cable fault. The cable is the original one and works w/o any issues with Liquid Spark

cosmox

Is it worth to buy balanced dac to pair with this amp? What are benefits other than more loudness?

jackdanyal

Is it worth to buy balanced dac to par with this amp? What are benefits other than more loudness?
the same question is interesting for me. thinking about Topping D10s or maybe I need something else to power up the full potential of 887. but as I read from some forums, balanced dac from balanced input shouldn't increase the loudness of thx 887. currently I'm using it with Fiio K3s(new one), but not sure will I hear any difference from Topping D10b or even from Topping E50/SMSL D-6, etc. Also considering smth like Fiio KA3, it can produce 2.5V thour balanced output. is it even legit to use dongle dac with this beast? :D:D

ampguy

the same question is interesting for me. thinking about Topping D10s or maybe I need something else to power up the full potential of 887. but as I read from some forums, balanced dac from balanced input shouldn't increase the loudness of thx 887. currently I'm using it with Fiio K3s(new one), but not sure will I hear any difference from Topping D10b or even from Topping E50/SMSL D-6, etc. Also considering smth like Fiio KA3, it can produce 2.5V thour balanced output. is it even legit to use dongle dac with this beast? :D:D
Not sure if balanced will change anything, other than cabling, if the unbalanced has enough output to drive the amp. The nice thing about the D10s/b are that they get their power from the USB cable, and need no other power source. If you get something like a SMSL D6, with a physical output knob, and it has balanced and unbalanced outputs so you can test both. but it uses a power cord. When I think of "dongle"dac, I think of something like the Audioquest USB to 3.5mm tiny DAC/hp amp devices. The D10s/b have nice orange digital displays, and I think come in black or white.

Jds81

Good information. Unfortunately the first unit of 887 just stopped working after 2 days and Monoprice sent me the second one as exchange. Should come in 2-3 day and I will test it again. But I agree, it maybe because of the balanced dac. But who knows, currently I have only unbalanced dac, but thinking about topping d10b os something better maybe. I’m pretty sure it’s not the headphones cable fault. The cable is the original one and works w/o any issues with Liquid Spark
Knowing that the 887 died so quickly, going to guess it was never healthy. I would not change anything and see how the replacement performs. I ran mine unbalanced for a week, noticed no real difference when going to balanced. Just wanted the extra assurance I'd avoid any potential noise.

cosmox

Knowing that the 887 died so quickly, going to guess it was never healthy. I would not change anything and see how the replacement performs. I ran mine unbalanced for a week, noticed no real difference when going to balanced. Just wanted the extra assurance I'd avoid any potential noise.
If there is no difference in sound quality then i'll probably go with topping e30.

jackdanyal

Just got the new unit and it performs pretty well, but still the loudness is on the same level with LS.
LS default gain 12 o'clock = 887 2nd gain 12-1 o'clock position(balanced) what is really strange. But it seems the sound is a little bit fuller through the Fostex T60rp. T60rps kinda power whore :D
Now I'm kinda confused, should I return the 887 or sell the LS. from another side what I don't like in 887, you can't use it's full potential with balanced dac, because with 4vrms input the sound clipps on 3rd gain.

IMG_0523.jpg

Last edited:

jackdanyal

So, some recap about THX 887. I ordered 2 of them, the first one a week ago and it died 2 days after just when I was listening a music. It just turned off and that it. I contacted the support (monoprice.eu, btw) and they sent me the second unit on another day and requested to send fault unit back charge free. So, about the amp and some comparasions with my current Monolith Liquid Spark:
1. Clarity: I didn't heard any differences between 887 and LS. they are sounds equally clean and transparent
2. SQ: 887 more dry/clinical sound/sterile, LS a little bit warmer, just what I like. Maybe it's just a placebo. may be.
3. Loudness: from SE LS spark much more powerful, I mean noticable powerfull. LS on default gain 12 o'clock position produces the same amount of as 887 on 3rd gain 12 o'clock. Through balanced output 887 produce the same amount of loudnes on the 2nd gain 1 o'clock. As I understood, for the best performance you need a balanced DAC with 4V output, but in that case the 3rd gain may produce clipping(???). I understand that the sound will be so loud, that you will not need 3rd gain, but it just shows us, that smth wrong with the amp's internal architecture if it can't fully handle balanced input. that's a main reason why I decided to return 887 (even considering, that I bough it for 204 euros, 50% off).
4. When it turned off there is some static/electricity when you touch the body of the amp (bad grounding?). this is the second reason which just proofs my concerns about build quality. the product with 407 euros price tag shouldn't have this type of faults, especially if an amp with 110 euros price tag (LS) don't have such things
5. Volume knob on LS is way, waaaay better than on 887.

After all I think I will stick with my trusty LS a little bit more and maybe will buy another dac instead of Fiio K3, or will not buy. I don't think I will hear any differences with another setup and it just looks like snake oil(rabbit hole, etc.) for me :)

ampguy

I wonder how the liquid spark would compare with the C200 integrated hp amp/dac ?

jackdanyal

I wonder how the liquid spark would compare with the C200 integrated hp amp/dac ?
I think soundwise they will be equal. Powerwise LS has much more power. if believe to audiophonics LS produces 2.4W on 33Ohm and 1.3W on 50Ohm.

arrow0309

Hiya, new guy here! Although I've been following this forum for more than a year :)
I'd like to make a change on my desktop pc dac amp, right now I have the topping A50S and E30 ii.
I already bought (yet to arrive) a custom 25W psu for the A50S and a brand new (blue) E50.
But I've been given this THX 887 a lot of thought.
Money is not a problem (and it's still discounted somewhere).
My headphones are (for now) the DT 900 pro x, K712 Pro and the Sundara with balanced 4.4mm custom cable.
I already found an eBay custom audio cables guy who can make me a pair of trs to xlr van dammme cables.
I'm planning to buy the HD 660s as well.
What do you think, make the move or keep the A50S?

coptician

Yeah, I'm thinking to keep it as well.
I was just curious about the famous THX sound.
Does it have a wider soundstage?
It's an amplifier. It amplifies a signal. It delivers (as little as possible) noise and distortion, and (as much as possible) power. It has features like connectors and volume control or a gain selector.

It doesn't have a 'sound'. It has a frequency response which is, as any half-decent amplifier, flat. It doesn't have a soundstage. The closest you can get is something like slope rate (how quickly it can deliver more power), but it won't change your perception in any meaningful way.

Not an attack on you, just trying to help desmystify this stuff :).

(correct me if I missed anything)

arrow0309

It's an amplifier. It amplifies a signal. It delivers (as little as possible) noise and distortion, and (as much as possible) power. It has features like connectors and volume control or a gain selector.

It doesn't have a 'sound'. It has a frequency response which is, as any half-decent amplifier, flat. It doesn't have a soundstage. The closest you can get is something like slope rate (how quickly it can deliver more power), but it won't change your perception in any meaningful way.

Not an attack on you, just trying to help desmystify this stuff :).

(correct me if I missed anything)
Fair enough :p
And from a headphone power wiew I suppose I won't fear anything with my little A50S given the headphones I already possess, not even with the HD 660s.
(I know the A50's max power at 4volts it's a gimmick yet it doesn't lack power even with the comon 2 volts)

coptician

Fair enough :p
And from a headphone power wiew I suppose I won't fear anything with my little A50S given the headphones I already possess, not even with the HD 660s.
(I know the A50's max power at 4volts it's a gimmick yet it doesn't lack power even with the comon 2 volts)
If it gets loud enough, you should be good. From what I can gather it seems like the balanced output van deliver quite a bit more power regardless of input voltage (though I only took a cursory glace at the data...), so if you can find a reasonably priced cable to go with the balanced output it might be worth considering. It's something I'm considering for a mobile DAC+AMP and my rather insensitive Aeon 2 Noires, but desktop and a 660S should be much less tricky.

Top Bottom