• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

arrow0309

If it gets loud enough, you should be good. From what I can gather it seems like the balanced output van deliver quite a bit more power regardless of input voltage (though I only took a cursory glace at the data...), so if you can find a reasonably priced cable to go with the balanced output it might be worth considering. It's something I'm considering for a mobile DAC+AMP and my rather insensitive Aeon 2 Noires, but desktop and a 660S should be much less tricky.
Yes and no:

• Output Power THD+N<1%
    • 6.35mm headphone jack
      • 1.4W x 2 @32Ω
      • 192mW x 2 @300Ω
    • 4 4mm Balanced headphone jack
      • 3.5W x 2 @32Ω
      • 760mW x 2 @300Ω
  • Output Power @2Vrms
    • 6.35mm headphone jack
      • 485mW x 2 @32Ω
      • 52mW x 2 @300Ω
    • 4 4mm Balanced headphone jack
      • 1950mW x 2 @32Ω
      • 208mW x 2 @300Ω

If that's what you meant than it's a yes.
Anyway it's more than enough juice to those low impedance and good sensitivity headphones like these three I do possess. I don't even use the gain +6db (except for maybe the K712 Pro).
Don't know about the HD 660s but I think I'm still covered (like you said).

Dreyfus

Is there any significant drawback running the Monolith 887 with only around 1V of input to lower the level for very sensitive IEM?

MysterE

Is there any significant drawback running the Monolith 887 with only around 1V of input to lower the level for very sensitive IEM?
Not sure if this would work for you but if I listen to sensitive IEMs on my 887 and find the volume dial set too low, I just use EQ to reduce the preamplification by 7-10dB, or until the dial is around 12. The noise floor is so low that you won't get any added noise. No need for one of those silly iem-matchers you may have seen around.

WeebTrash

Was there a consensus on this versus Magnius via SE and Balanced ouputs? In between both with a need for both outputs...

oreganobag

Is this basically the best $200ish amp available? I've got an Asgard 3 that I'm not very satisfied with. I have to use high gain to get any volume out of it and that bring in a ton of background noise and hiss while nothing is playing. With the coupon code BF15 this thing is on sale for $212.

Veri

Master Contributor
Is this basically the best $200ish amp available? I've got an Asgard 3 that I'm not very satisfied with. I have to use high gain to get any volume out of it and that bring in a ton of background noise and hiss while nothing is playing. With the coupon code BF15 this thing is on sale for $212.
Well it's definitely very good. Nowadays something like L30 ii gets close for less money, but the THX has balanced in balanced out for when you'd ever need it. In any case, quite likely to be a big improvement from the Asgard, the way you explain it..

Celty

It's definitely going to solve the problem you are having, supplying all the clean power that I can imagine you need. At that price it is one heck of a value.

arrow0309

It really is. Have this in balanced connected to the E50 in usb from my desktop pc for months now and it's perfect in SE and in balanced (but I don't have low sensitivity headphones).
The only thing I dislike is that it won't let you run the 2 rca out in preamp mode, only passthrough.
I went for an Asgard 3 with the ess dac card new (wanted to try the sound and the simplicity of an all in one with an analogue volume knob for preamp as well), arrived a couple of days ago and it's already inside the box ready to be sent back to Schiit UK. I didn't like the sound very much, less detailed but most of all not fancied the temperatures, 42C on the grilled top may even be OK (in the wintertime not in the summertime) but the bottom was really hot, definitely not on my taste of cooling.
So yeah, went back to my good older (still almost new) blue and black cold stack.

Last edited:

arrow0309

Well it's definitely very good. Nowadays something like L30 ii gets close for less money, but the THX has balanced in balanced out for when you'd ever need it. In any case, quite likely to be a big improvement from the Asgard, the way you explain it..
I agree except it doesn't have the balanced out, at least mine doesn't have them.
I can see there is the right place ready for two more XLR but they just didn't install them:

Attachments

• 14387-monolith-thx-aaa887-inpage2.jpg
    14387-monolith-thx-aaa887-inpage2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 201
  • board.jpg
    board.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 202

Veri

Master Contributor
I agree except it doesn't have the balanced out, at least mine doesn't have them.
I can see there is the right place ready for two more XLR but they just didn't install them:
I meant just SE/BAL in, SE/BAL headphone out as in TRS and 4-pin XLRs, yes pre-outs are missing on this one.

Jrez1090

"Worlds best cables" has a shop on amzn with a menu dropdown for xlr and trs, they have that cable in there too. A bit pricey but not outrageous, good warranties.

I have an He6seV2 Adorama ed. here with my 887 and my smsl su9n is incoming. I'm just looking for great sound and have no technical background. In the testing and review of this dac model it is stated that best performance is at max 4.9volt and if your amp can take it then run the su9n at max. So, can my amp take it?
And I guess I should, since people tap speaker amps for the he6, also ask is it enough for these headphones?

Also, some reviews described the 887 as not having a nice feel. I felt just the opposite unboxing it, heavy-ish enough for me and the power button is on a timer so its flimsy touch is understandable.
Hey little late her but I legit am going to have this same set up. Just waiting on the su 9n. How does the full set up sound with the HE6SE?

dolph99

Hi all. Just wondering if it matters whether I use the RCA or XLR inputs?
As far as I know only difference will be rca input will not be balanced, xlr will be balanced. So with xlr input you are preserving balance through the chain.

This opens up a can of worms that you can read forever and not really find a good answer, in my opinion. Some say balanced only matters for really long cable lengths, in which case the interconnect won't matter if it's a short cable. Others will claim "oh my god, balanced is SOOO much better, it opened up the heavens and clean, powerful sound came pouring out like nothing before" etc.

ardilla

As far as I know only difference will be rca input will not be balanced, xlr will be balanced. So with xlr input you are preserving balance through the chain.

This opens up a can of worms that you can read forever and not really find a good answer, in my opinion. Some say balanced only matters for really long cable lengths, in which case the interconnect won't matter if it's a short cable. Others will claim "oh my god, balanced is SOOO much better, it opened up the heavens and clean, powerful sound came pouring out like nothing before" etc.
True balanced = more expensive for no good reason. The hole "balanced" thing unnecessary. They should call it dual mono wrt headphones.

BTW my Monolith died completely. Just as i had ordered a second one

Last edited:

cheapmessiah

887 and 789 arent balanced all they way through, before amplification the signal is converted to unbalanced, and after amplification I believe it gets converted again to balanced before the balanced headphone output.

Thats the reason why input signal of 2v is recomended for XLR, and some people have confirmed that 4v with -10db input signal also works.

ardilla

887 and 789 arent balanced all they way through, before amplification the signal is converted to unbalanced, and after amplification I believe it gets converted again to balanced before the balanced headphone output.

Thats the reason why input signal of 2v is recomended for XLR, and some people have confirmed that 4v with -10db input signal also works.
Interesting. So no reason to use the XLR input, then

dolph99

Do we know this for sure? Source?

Regardless, if you use xlr interconnects from source, the chain will be balanced from the dac through to the xlr output on the amp. Using rca from dac to amp breaks the balance from the dac, so the amp cannot balance it again. Of course, using single ended output from the amp also unbalances.

So the reason to use xlr input is if you want balanced and also plan to use xlr output. Any rca in the chain and any single ended output unbalances.

I happen to think unbalanced is fine, but technically speaking there is a difference.

Veri

Master Contributor
Using rca from dac to amp breaks the balance from the dac, so the amp cannot balance it again. Of course, using single ended output from the amp also unbalances.
So the reason to use xlr input is if you want balanced and also plan to use xlr output. Any rca in the chain and any single ended output unbalances.
What do you think an unbalanced>balanced conversion does?

cheapmessiah

Interesting. So no reason to use the XLR input, then

Balanced interconect exists to reject noise that the system picks up and adds to the signal along the way. If you need that functionality this amp has you covered.

Do we know this for sure? Source?

Check JohnYang responses to this same thread.

Regardless, if you use xlr interconnects from source, the chain will be balanced from the dac through to the xlr output on the amp. Using rca from dac to amp breaks the balance from the dac, so the amp cannot balance it again. Of course, using single ended output from the amp also unbalances.

I dont think thats how this particular amp works, the input signal is converted/maintained to SE no matter what, and then the signal is converted (again) to a balanced one for the XLR output, I havent checked if the SE input drives the XLR output the same, but I would be surprised if it didnt given that balanced output is generated from a SE signal. Some other balanced amps do make you go XLR in to have XLR out, but thats a design decision, not an obligation to implement balanced output.

Top Bottom