• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

NemoReborn

Then you are asserting the measurement variances between the two products in Amir's testing results are due to random manufacturing discrepancies, or testing inconsistencies?

Dude. Lets says it that way. Its Almost identical and if there is any difference , its Probably nothing u can hear ....

now if u wanna nitpicks about these INCREDIBLY small differences , thats your call ...
For me , they both have THX standard, same output power , same EXACT layout , same output voltages... Same sound cause i have both and they sound identical...different case and brand ...

Im Sry but i dont give a danm about the pcb picture .

Celty

Dude. Lets says it that way. Its Almost identical and if there is any difference , its Probably nothing u can hear ....

now if u wanna nitpicks about these INCREDIBLY small differences , thats your call ...
For me , they both have THX standard, same output power , same EXACT layout , same output voltages... Same sound cause i have both and they sound identical...different case and brand ...

Im Sry but i dont give a danm about the pcb picture .
Easy fella, no need to feel defensive. :cool:

Celty

I have two music listening areas. One for my main stereo system, and another for my PC.
Ahhh, well that is cool. What is your favorite DAC for these amps?

ZeDestructor

I think most people just don't wanna take apart their newly bought amp especially when it works as advertised.

You say that, but the very first thing I did to my SDAC-B when I got it was to take it apart to have a good look at the innards. Before I even plugged it in to check for functionality even!

If it weren't for the knobs (apparently) needing removal on the 887 for a teardown, a friend of mine would have already given me good PCB shots of his 887. As it stands, I got some poor pictures taken with just the rear panel taken off, and from there it looks near-identical to the 789.

T.J. Turner

Ahhh, well that is cool. What is your favorite DAC for these amps?

One is fed by a Schiit Gungnir multibit which is connected to my main Parasound stereo amp. And the other is connected to a SU-8 from my PC.
I feel that the SU-8 is sufficient for just headphone listening.

Celty

One is fed by a Schiit Gungnir multibit which is connected to my main Parasound stereo amp. And the other is connected to a SU-8 from my PC.
I feel that the SU-8 is sufficient for just headphone listening.
Two great setups, you are fortunate :)

Celty

NemoReborn

Im really not a fan of the sound of the 887 using xlr... or i cant hear a difference should I say ... i basicly bought the sabaj d5 for the xlr capability. Ima returns it to amazon and use my d50s dac. Losing a few Sinad but d50s remain with stellar performances and i doubt ill hear a difference, and will gain 400$ back for more headphone!!!

NemoReborn

Just to make sure before doing the trade , even if fed with Rca , the thx is going to give me 6 watts at 32 ohm using the xlr 4 pin out right !?????

ZeDestructor

Just to make sure before doing the trade , even if fed with Rca , the thx is going to give me 6 watts at 32 ohm using the xlr 4 pin out right !?????

Yup. The only difference would be a los of 6dBSPL from halving the input voltage from 4Vrms to 2Vrms when moving to the D50s.

Veri

Master Contributor
Im really not a fan of the sound of the 887 using xlr... or i cant hear a difference should I say ... i basicly bought the sabaj d5 for the xlr capability. Ima returns it to amazon and use my d50s dac. Losing a few Sinad but d50s remain with stellar performances and i doubt ill hear a difference, and will gain 400$ back for more headphone!!!
good call really, and one more point for the "balanced in balanced out is unnecessary" camp...

Celty

"32 ohms: 6000mW <1% THD"
That is what their website states, input source and XLR output should not be related as far as wattage.

BTW I did strongly consider the D50s, but decided on an XLR DAC just to have all options open and eliminate the possibility of ground loop. But I really liked the D50s features and performance from reviews.

Last edited:

ArtemisXCIX

You say that, but the very first thing I did to my SDAC-B when I got it was to take it apart to have a good look at the innards. Before I even plugged it in to check for functionality even!

If it weren't for the knobs (apparently) needing removal on the 887 for a teardown, a friend of mine would have already given me good PCB shots of his 887. As it stands, I got some poor pictures taken with just the rear panel taken off, and from there it looks near-identical to the 789.

Well you should share those pictures than so at least people looking for it have something to look at if they need to compare PCB. Better than nothing

Top Bottom