• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio

warthor

Reading on other audio websites and other recommendations I often see Monitor Audio mentioned (e.g., on the recommended list on the home theater reddit). On the other hand I have never seen it mentioned here. What is the perspective on monitor audio here?

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had done some testing of monitor audio silver 200 against kef r700 a couple of years ago. I found monitor vocals more forward and bass shy, but the sound was pleasant enough (though i preferred the kef). I don’t have any personal measurements.
@Kal Rubinson reviewed the silver 300 favorably in stereophile and @John Atkinson measured them. There is some upper bass boost in the below so ignoring that you can see response drops a bit below 500hz which is probably what I felt (I demoed the 200 which has less bass)

1611631477998.jpeg

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
Several of their speakers have been measured by Stereophile and by Soundstage at the NRC. Some measured pretty good, some not so good with significant flaws, so overall they're a mixed bag.

Beave

Major Contributor
I had done some testing of monitor audio silver 200 against kef r700 a couple of years ago. I found monitor vocals more forward and bass shy, but the sound was pleasant enough (though i preferred the kef). I don’t have any personal measurements.
@Kal Rubinson reviewed the silver 300 favorably in stereophile and @John Atkinson measured them. There is some upper bass boost in the below so ignoring that you can see response drops a bit below 500hz which is probably what I felt (I demoed the 200 which has less bass)

View attachment 108448

The bass boost seen in the plot, as always with Stereophile measurements, is a result of the method and is not a real reflection of the speaker response.

Kachda

Forum Donor
The bass boost seen in the plot, as always with Stereophile measurements, is a result of the method and is not a real reflection of the speaker response.
Agreed, which is why I specifically mentioned it so that someone not aware of that does not conclude the monitor silver 300 has accentuated upper bass

Beave

Major Contributor

The Monitor Audio Silver 200 was measured by Soundstage at the NRC, as shown here:

NRC Anechoic measurements of Monitor Audio Silver 200

Kachda

Forum Donor
The Monitor Audio Silver 200 was measured by Soundstage at the NRC, as shown here:

NRC Anechoic measurements of Monitor Audio Silver 200
The listening window is very flat, and there is a small bump near 1k, which is probably why I found it a bit more forward compared to r700. Honestly I kind of liked the speaker, but ended up not buying it because the bass seemed rather weak for a floorstander.

1611632262403.gif

OP
W

warthor

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I had seen some of the spinorama data, but am not yet sophisticated enough to make good sense of the graphs. One of the graphs that were concerning was the monitor gold 100s (I could even tell the spinorama data indicated major issues). Because the higher end stuff had issues I wasn’t sure about the company in general. Based on the data you showed for the monitor silvers they do have some good speakers.

Beave

Major Contributor
They've made some very nice speakers, and some flawed speakers too. It has been pretty hit and miss with them over the years.

You're right that the Gold 100s are flawed. Other Golds are better. The newest Silvers appear to be pretty good.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking at Monitor Audio In-wall speakers over on this thread. Would welcome any insights and experiences people have. The installer has offered a demo but there is no spinorama data to be had on the internet for the in-wall speakers.

MrOtto

The listening window is very flat, and there is a small bump near 1k, which is probably why I found it a bit more forward compared to r700. Honestly I kind of liked the speaker, but ended up not buying it because the bass seemed rather weak for a floorstander.

Maybe because they are 2.5" way, and not 3 way like Silver 300 and 500 7G?
Soundstage measurements of 500 7g:

Considering Silver 300 or 500 7G vs. Polk R700
Listening window

20Hz - 20kHz (measured @ 2m, plotted @ 1m)

Response curve is an average of five measurements: on-axis, 15 degrees left and right off-axis, 15 degrees up and down off-axis

fr_listeningwindow.png

Beave

Major Contributor
I think Stereophile also reviewed (with measurements) the Monitor Audio Silver 500 in their upcoming issue (available now to subscribers and available online to all in a week or two).

XDM

I only have experience with the Monitor Audio Bronze 50 (Monitor Audio Bronze 6th generation) and I wouldn't recommend it.

What Hifi's review https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/monitor-audio-bronze-100 is correct about the Bronze series: there's something wrong with the tuning of the Monitor Audio Bronze 6th gen.

The midrange is recessed and the treble is shrill/aggressive/harsh. I'm not the only one with that experience.

Check out NP's comments under his video on the Bronze 100 it's bigger brother:

(he calls them bright, sharp, shouty) .

I'll quote some of his comments which he left below the video review (
) to clarify, which aligns perfectly with my own experience:

-When I said these were bright and sharp I really meant it guys, they're shouty for sure.

If you don't believe me buy them for yourself and experience the disappointment first hand. I believe in break in but no amount of break-in can fix these. I had them connected to $7500 worth of what is otherwise smooth/neutral sounding gear and another few hundred dollars in room treatment. I gave these 30 hours, that should have gotten them most of the way there.

The Bronze 100 does a few things really well like imaging and soundstage but the presentation within is terribly unbalanced.
I'm still trying to understand who loves these, I honestly think it might be good for guys who have been to too many concerts and maybe lost a bit of hearing.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I only have experience with the Monitor Audio Bronze 50 (Monitor Audio Bronze 6th generation) and I wouldn't recommend it.

What Hifi's review https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/monitor-audio-bronze-100 is correct about the Bronze series: there's something wrong with the tuning of the Monitor Audio Bronze 6th gen.

The midrange is recessed and the treble is shrill/aggressive/harsh. I'm not the only one with that experience.

Check out NP's comments under his video on the Bronze 100 it's bigger brother:

(he calls them bright, sharp, shouty) .

I'll quote some of his comments which he left below the video review (
) to clarify, which aligns perfectly with my own experience:
No one here believes in „break in“ or „what hifi“ so quoting them isn’t really adding any credibility.

However if you were to search and post facts here (a FR response would most likely suffice) I am pretty sure we would have seen that the Monitor Bronze indeed sound „bright“ without having to rely on hearsay, opinions of otherwise questionable reviewers.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also wished Erin or Amir would get more Monitor Audio speakers to review. I am a happy owner of Platinum 1 front trio (PL100 + PLC150) in my HT.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Never been impressed with the couple of bronze:s I've owned, but some silver line speakers sound pretty great although the ones I've heard has a slight extra energy energy in the treble.

Reactions: XDM

HooStat

I also wished Erin or Amir would get more Monitor Audio speakers to review. I am a happy owner of Platinum 1 front trio (PL100 + PLC150) in my HT.
I offered my Monitor Audio C250 7G but Erin was too busy at the time. Based on his recent output on the site, I can certainly see why! I am happy to send it to either Erin or Amir if we can get it scheduled. The matching towers might be a bit too big for my comfort.

I do like them. They have nice bass down to below 27 Hz in my room. I do find them a touch bright (see 2k to 5k Hz) but that might be my room more than the speakers. I can say that dialog is very easy to hear. Here are my in-room measurements via Anthem ARC.
1655153829673.png

1655153788004.png

1655153855073.png

Top Bottom