• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Home Theater speakers

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all,
I am having consultations with home theater installers to set up a in-wall dolby atmos system and my first installer works with Monitor Audio components. I tried doing some internet sleuthing to get Spin data on the components to help me decide but no luck. The closest I found was this set of Monitor audio floorstanding speaker data from sound stage network. https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=18

It looks like they have smooth response but some strange distortion around the crossover region which gives me some pause.

Have any of you come across spinorama data for these options or otherwise have some previous experience or advice on Monitor Audio?

He's proposing two options. The "Platinum Series" or the "Silver Series." And he recommends keeping all in the same series to keep the tweeters matched. And we'd do the same speaker for the L, C, R depending on my choice. The platinum series looks like it is a Ribbon tweeter and I haven't seen much spinorama data on these to see how smooth they are.

Amir's review of the Revel was underwhelming and the Monoprice Monolith was positive so not a lot of in-wall spin data to get a sense of the performance.

Any feedback or advice on these speakers and competing choices would be welcome. Thanks!

Front channel platinum and silver

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/controlled-performance/cp-iw460x/

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/controlled-performance/cp-iw260x/

Side and back channel options platinum and silver

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/super-slim/wss430/

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/super-slim/wss230/

Atmos options

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/platinum-ii/platinum-plic-ii/

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/core/c380-fx/

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/controlled-performance/cp-ct380idc/

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Kal Rubinson I found some of your reviews and measurements on stereophile for the silver series freestanding loudspeakers.

would you be willing to provide your opinion? Your conclusion was favorable and the measurements showed solid engineering.

My question then is, should I trust and expect that the engineering and performance of their freestanding loudspeakers translates to solid engineering and performance for their in-wall speakers?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My question then is, should I trust and expect that the engineering and performance of their freestanding loudspeakers translates to solid engineering and performance for their in-wall speakers?
I would guess so but I have absolutely no experience with in-wall speakers.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing to consider - in wall speakers generally can’t be aimed. Monitor Audio has a line with an aimable coaxial driver. I’d be tempted to get ears on them before choosing a front/surround/rear speaker.

I reviewed one of their standmounts. It was a well designed speaker with one limitation - upper midrange coloration typical of 2-ways with a 6.5”-7” midwoofer and a tweeter on a flat waveguide.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you!

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I reviewed one of their standmounts. It was a well designed speaker with one limitation - upper midrange coloration typical of 2-ways with a 6.5”-7” midwoofer and a tweeter on a flat waveguide.

Never knew about this review, really like that you showed differences between port un/plugged and grille on/off. I'm currently demo'ing Silver 100 6th Gen, I have no measurements to back it up but my experience largely mirrors yours with one exception.

Using a typical bass boost preset in PEACE seemed to cause chuffing on low end transients at higher volumes. At least, I believe that's what it would be called in subs, not sure if it's same term/effect in bookshelves. for example every single kick drum hit on Helmet's Strap It On album sounds like it's being played inside of a wooden box. The rest of the instruments, including the rest of the drums, sound fine. I suspect maybe the cabinet isn't braced enough? The heavier but smaller LS50 Meta doesn't have this issue.

The port bungs dampen the effect, but as one of the high-testosterone 21% who prefer excessive bass it's noticeable to the point that I would personally need a sub to use these as mains. Sort of disappointing for an 8" driver. I suspect most people, say 79% of them, wouldn't have an issue.

jeroboam

Never knew about this review, really like that you showed differences between port un/plugged and grille on/off. I'm currently demo'ing Silver 100 6th Gen, I have no measurements to back it up but my experience largely mirrors yours with one exception.

Using a typical bass boost preset in PEACE seemed to cause chuffing on low end transients at higher volumes. At least, I believe that's what it would be called in subs, not sure if it's same term/effect in bookshelves. for example every single kick drum hit on Helmet's Strap It On album sounds like it's being played inside of a wooden box. The rest of the instruments, including the rest of the drums, sound fine. I suspect maybe the cabinet isn't braced enough? The heavier but smaller LS50 Meta doesn't have this issue.

The port bungs dampen the effect, but as one of the high-testosterone 21% who prefer excessive bass it's noticeable to the point that I would personally need a sub to use these as mains. Sort of disappointing for an 8" driver. I suspect most people, say 79% of them, wouldn't have an issue.
So are we to conclude from your post that bass levels are linked to testosterone levels?. Do you know if there are any scientific studies/research which prove this to be the case or are you just taking the piss :facepalm:.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So are we to conclude from your post that bass levels are linked to testosterone levels?. Do you know if there are any scientific studies/research which prove this to be the case or are you just taking the piss :facepalm:.

Apologies, I got my % wrong. Its actually the 15%, not 21%, that prefer elevated bass. I'll make it a point to work on my rote memorization skills before I next post on a hobbyist forum.

I suspect you're more interested in being right than learning given the tone of your response, but if you actually care, Google this:

15% of listeners preferred more bass. In practice, up to 6dB elevation below 300Hz, and 1dB boost above 1kHz. This group consisted of younger males ...

Re: the specificity of my testosterone claim, recommend bearing in mind the aforementioned and looking into this .

Subway2400

Have any of you come across spinorama data for these options or otherwise have some previous experience or advice on Monitor Audio?

Hi,

I currently use a Bronze 5G pack with Bronze 5 floorstanders for my home theater, and I have to say that I'm not disappointed : they produce a fairly neutral sound, and can be dynamic enough to be immersive in action movies. Some speakers, especially the not so expensive ones, try to draw the attention with elevated trebles, or produce a "boxy" sound as a result of cost cuttings. But the MA Bronze do not have those issues. I find that they are well-engineered and use good quality parts :
- Some years ago, I had the opportunity to compare the Bronze to some competitors like the Dali Zensor (which sounded harsh and not natural) or the Focal Chorus (better than the DALI but muddy bass and slightly colored treble). I also had the opportunity to listen to the Silver and Platinum ranges. I have to say that, generally, recent speakers from the brand are really interesting to listen to, and do not try to add some unwanted coloration. I would really be interested in seeing some of the last generation Bronze or Silver being tested on ASR !

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I currently use a Bronze 5G pack with Bronze 5 floorstanders for my home theater, and I have to say that I'm not disappointed : they produce a fairly neutral sound, and can be dynamic enough to be immersive in action movies. Some speakers, especially the not so expensive ones, try to draw the attention with elevated trebles, or produce a "boxy" sound as a result of cost cuttings. But the MA Bronze do not have those issues. I find that they are well-engineered and use good quality parts :
- Some years ago, I had the opportunity to compare the Bronze to some competitors like the Dali Zensor (which sounded harsh and not natural) or the Focal Chorus (better than the DALI but muddy bass and slightly colored treble). I also had the opportunity to listen to the Silver and Platinum ranges. I have to say that, generally, recent speakers from the brand are really interesting to listen to, and do not try to add some unwanted coloration. I would really be interested in seeing some of the last generation Bronze or Silver being tested on ASR !
Thank you for the info. That's great!

Top Bottom