• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Platinum 3G

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
You are not hurting my feelings. You are the one here that refuses to accept that the Canton could be better and take the audition.

Unlike you, I am brand agnostic and have no problem to praise a Kef if it is a good speaker. While I think the LS50/Meta is a decent sounding speaker (the Meta is better) the R is not. You can complement an LS50/Meta with a sub and and a crossover and that will make a nice setup (sound wise). But you can't correct the tonal inaccuracy of the R.

I came back to this thread because I was quoted with a question about a Concept 500 not because I want to repeat the same I said before. I don't care what you as an R line fan has to do to defend his decision. I have tried many speakers incuding the R line and, unlike you, I know what I am talking about.
I see you edited out the insults. Good move and because you beat me to the punch you get a pass for rewording your original post. Thank you for exercising the self correction. :cool:

Bozon

I see you edited out the insults. Good move and because you beat me to the punch you get a pass for rewording your original post. Thank you for exercising the self correction. :cool:
I was reusing one word that was before said to me on this very thread. I have no problem on correcting what I made wrong.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Please be civil.
Building upon what @Jim Taylor said above. Name calling and personal insults will not fly here. Be civil, respectful and give people the benefit of the doubt. Exactly how you want to be treated. Enjoy your afternoon gentlemen. ;)

D

Deleted member 21219

.... common sense tells you that if you replace cheap components with better ones you should get an improvement (unless the bottleneck is elsewere of course)

"Common sense" can be a commonly-held misconception. At one time, it was "common sense" that the sun revolved around the earth.

1) Elements of a circuit, like parts in a machine, have a job to do. If they do that job, then they are fine.

2) Assertions that pricier components improve performance are only valid if tests show that performance is bettered.

3) It is possible for pricier components to actually degrade the performance of a device. If this happens, then the device may sound different ..... not "better", just "different".

4) Scam artists and snake oil salesmen can (and do) take advantage of this difference to pledge on their hearts and souls that the difference is "better". That doesn't mean that it is. You may prefer it, or you may not prefer it. Preference does not mean "better", in the sense of a performance level more closely aligned with accuracy, it just means that you like it.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Let's see what Andrew Robinson (339K subscribers) has to say about Monitor Audio Platinum 200. Shall we? :)

1694978023878.png

This is from our member
index.php

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Point noted. However, he publishes the measurements before and after he has modified the components.

I understand that is possible not to trust him (and he had made this easy), but common sense tells you that if you replace cheap components with better ones you should get an improvement (unless the bottleneck is elsewere of course)
Bozon,
It seems you like to browse YouTube (as do I :);)).
If not already, please take a look at this video and then draw your conclusions as to who has better testing equipment and knowledge. Danny vs. Harman/Revel.

I agree with you that measurements are a very good guide to choosing the speakers but the final step should be listening preferably in one's own listening space. We all are looking for specific stuff in speaker performance and hear things differently hence our "favorites". It's okay to be a Canton fan and it's okay to be a KEF fan. This is a hobby, after all, and we should respect each other's opinions. I'm not going to push down your throat on how the KEF speaker is better due to measurements. If you are happy with Canton/Monitor Audio, that's great.

MarcT

Forum Donor
What are you guy's thoughts on the small-ish mid range drivers that Monitor is using in the current Gold series? Most companies seem to use larger diameter mid drivers.

Bozon

Bozon,
It seems you like to browse YouTube (as do I :);)).
If not already, please take a look at this video and then draw your conclusions as to who has better testing equipment and knowledge. Danny vs. Harman/Revel.

I agree with you that measurements are a very good guide to choosing the speakers but the final step should be listening preferably in one's own listening space. We all are looking for specific stuff in speaker performance and hear things differently hence our "favorites". It's okay to be a Canton fan and it's okay to be a KEF fan. This is a hobby, after all, and we should respect each other's opinions. I'm not going to push down your throat on how the KEF speaker is better due to measurements. If you are happy with Canton/Monitor Audio, that's great.

having a better measurements lab make a XO built with low cost parts equal or better than one with high quality ones? does it even disprove independent measurements? I really think the answer to both questions is no.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
He is not my friend and I don't endorse his reviews. I just mentioned him because he shown the fact that Revels had mediocre XO components and that can't be disputed. Of course you prefer to attack the source and me instead of accepting the facts.

Please stop insulting me with your adorned words and be less biased. That might help you to be a little more credible.

Finally, your teenager experience with guitars is your argument to defend that the R did not sound detuned? I seriously doubt that you remember how was the sound and, even if you do, the guitars you mentioned are all entry level ones that you probably paired with equally low budget amps. Hardly a valid argument to compare that with real professional-grade instruments for the recordings we are using to hear the speakers. You also make clear that you have a very limited experience with hifi speakers so you will stick a the best you have now that are those Kefs. That is fine of course but at the same time doesn't give you any authority to dismiss other people experiences (especially when that experience is much larger that yours).

Over and out.
The esp m-ii Urban Camo was top of the line guitar made in Japan from 2013~, powered by Engl made in Germany, i see you only don't know about speakers but about musical instruments too. I played for a lot of years and finally i sold all of my instrument when i was abou 24~ but i stoped playing in the band at 19. ESP is the High-end line, you are the only guy that think an ESP guitar is an '' entry level '', but only you can made a worse comment than you.
Now esp has EII and ESP made in USA, but back in the day the ESP made in usa were these Made in Japan. I don't know how are these new E-II models because i only used the ESP made by these expert luters in Japan, then they moved to USA.

Anyway, you didn't show any measurements or data from your '' mediocre Revels XO components '' just magical words from Dennys that you are repeting. If there was a problem, it will show in the final measurements. And sorprise, the measurements don't say any problem about Revels.

Even the owner of the forum and Stereophile guy have a Revel, but yeah these must be low budget to you because everything is.
Your experience worth less than one cent, you are demonstrated that already. Experience has a relation with knowledge, and your knowledge is very low at pretty much everything, even instruments.
Everyone knows that the ESP is High-end line, even noobs players. These are among the best guitars.
That being said, the RG652 is also not '' entry level '' that's the gio line. It's more like a mid-high tier with nice relation between price and performance. But yeah, everything is entry level if you haven't owned or own.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What are you guy's thoughts on the small-ish mid range drivers that Monitor is using in the current Gold series? Most companies seem to use larger diameter mid drivers.
It is not a bad idea for wider radiation when combined with no or a shallow waveguide and usually gives a better directivity match which such tweeters compared to the since the 90s frequently used large mid drivers.

Zoomer

Huh, I thought this thread was supposed to be about Monitor Audio's Platinum speaker line.

:facepalm::facepalm::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yeah, instead it's page after page of childish bickering with barely a mention of said speakers. ASR at its worst.

dogmamann

Yeah, instead it's page after page of childish bickering with barely a mention of said speakers. ASR at its worst.
But when someone claims another speaker is better than the mentioned speaker here, we need to know why it’s exactly better

Penelinfi

It is not a bad idea for wider radiation when combined with no or a shallow waveguide and usually gives a better directivity match which such tweeters compared to the since the 90s frequently used large mid drivers.
Wider radiation , also they discuss raising the breakup frequency of the driver far above the crossover region for cleaner sound. Apparently it still uses something like a 35mm voice coil. Basically a large Focal inverted dome tweeter.

I don't know if the larger "RDT" midrange in the Platinum would have as high a break up mode , or maybe it's more damped due to composite material?

Albert Dagger

Forum Donor
With regards to Monitor Audio in general, I can't find many measured speakers on the web. Amir measured a bookshelf Silver speaker. Stereophile measured the Gold 5G 300. I'd like to be able to read more data about the Gold and the Platinum, and how they compare to similarly priced speakers. In general, I can't seem to find many speaker measurements for this brand compared to others.

Jukebox

With regards to Monitor Audio in general, I can't find many measured speakers on the web. Amir measured a bookshelf Silver speaker. Stereophile measured the Gold 5G 300. I'd like to be able to read more data about the Gold and the Platinum, and how they compare to similarly priced speakers. In general, I can't seem to find many speaker measurements for this brand compared to others.
Unfortunately you cant find many measurements for Gold and Platinum .... don't think this will change anytime soon

Jukebox

These have already been posted here; but is not the same quality/resolution as measurements from Amir, Erin, Soundstage, Audioholics ... etc
But of course they are better than nothing, that's for sure!

Last edited:
Top Bottom