• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Combining Motu Ultralite Mk5-Spl 2Control-MiniDsp Hd

Nspace

Without going into the intricacies of the proposed and chosen connections, I assume you already know only a few days ago MOTU released a new firmware for Ultralite MK5 and an upgrade for CUE5 software, that amongst other things does this:

"Newly added control room features include A/B monitor select, monitor grouping ( ).
Users can connect two sets of studio monitors (A and B) to outputs 1-2 and 3-4 respectively, and then switch between them with one click in the CueMix 5 app to instantly compare their mix on each set of speakers.
For studios with multi-channel monitoring setups, the new Monitor Group feature allows users to include any combination of analog outputs to be controlled by the UltraLite-mk5’s main volume knob on the front panel, and its equivalent “soft” knob in the CueMix 5 app."

//Its been discussed here:

Davide

Hmmm. But this means that all D/A conversion of files when i am exporting-rendering will take place in the MiniDsp unless i choose the Mk5 every time.
I trust the D/A chip of the Mk5 more when it comes down of printing final audio files tbh or am i seeing it wrong?
My setup in the Daw is always centered around the Mk5

Second issue is i registered on the MiniDsp site and i cant download anything. I go to User Downloads and there are no real DL links?

Is it because they need to“Verify“ me ?
Don't know about MiniDSP/ Dirac software. Maybe contact the customer support. Make sure you bought a Dirac-licensed Flex, because it is also sold without.

As for the rest, the Flex processes digitally and outputs analogue.
The most reasonable way to send audio to it is USB. Using the Mk5's toslink makes no sense... bits are bits, there's no advantage. If you instead use the Mk5 to go out to analog and go into the Flex, it will convert back to digital to do DSP and then back to analog to go out to the amp. An unnecessary loss of quality.

centonom

Not sure I understand your setup and needs fully but I use spidf out from my UL Mk5 to the Flex so I don’t have to switch audio interfaces. I have one set of monitors connected directly to the ULmk5 and a separate system with dual subs connected to the Flex. I never have to change interfaces in any software, both systems are always ready to go. Have used both rca and optical spidf effectively.

OP
D

DrSpan

Don't know about MiniDSP/ Dirac software. Maybe contact the customer support. Make sure you bought a Dirac-licensed Flex, because it is also sold without.

As for the rest, the Flex processes digitally and outputs analogue.
The most reasonable way to send audio to it is USB. Using the Mk5's toslink makes no sense... bits are bits, there's no advantage. If you instead use the Mk5 to go out to analog and go into the Flex, it will convert back to digital to do DSP and then back to analog to go out to the amp. An unnecessary loss of quality.
This is what i am asking myself. Theoretically if i send audio through Toslink it should go through the Flex without an additional conversion by the Flex.

"Make sure you bought a Dirac-licensed Flex, because it is also sold without.“ It is. But they are on holiday on china so i need to wait till 19th

"Using the Mk5's toslink makes no sense.“ I am doing all my audio work inside Ableton. In Ableton you have to choose an Interface. This is the Mk5.
I cannot choose Mk5 for D/A and then choose Flex for audio output.
Again, i don`t want the rendering to audio or better said the D/A conversion and printing of my audio to be done by the Flex. So it makes sense if i can combine leaving the D/A conversion to Mk5 and the Monitoring to Flex .

When i am listening to Itunes then i dont mind choosing the Flex via Usb

OP
D

DrSpan

Not sure I understand your setup and needs fully but I use spidf out from my UL Mk5 to the Flex so I don’t have to switch audio interfaces. I have one set of monitors connected directly to the ULmk5 and a separate system with dual subs connected to the Flex. I never have to change interfaces in any software, both systems are always ready to go. Have used both rca and optical spidf effectively.
My setup is Laptop->Mk5 (Ableton , for audio processing, mastering printing and exporting audio so basically D/A) -> Flex (simply as a monitor controller and pre amp).

In ableton i cant divide "playback and processing“ as in Having one interface (mk5) for exporting audio and another (flex) for listening. You have to pick one.

OP
D

DrSpan

Without going into the intricacies of the proposed and chosen connections, I assume you already know only a few days ago MOTU released a new firmware for Ultralite MK5 and an upgrade for CUE5 software, that amongst other things does this:

"Newly added control room features include A/B monitor select, monitor grouping ( ).
Users can connect two sets of studio monitors (A and B) to outputs 1-2 and 3-4 respectively, and then switch between them with one click in the CueMix 5 app to instantly compare their mix on each set of speakers.
For studios with multi-channel monitoring setups, the new Monitor Group feature allows users to include any combination of analog outputs to be controlled by the UltraLite-mk5’s main volume knob on the front panel, and its equivalent “soft” knob in the CueMix 5 app."

//Its been discussed here:
Thank you . Yes i am aware of this. It does however not really solve my issue

centonom

My setup is Laptop->Mk5 (Ableton , for audio processing, mastering printing and exporting audio so basically D/A) -> Flex (simply as a monitor controller and pre amp).

In ableton i cant divide "playback and processing“ as in Having one interface (mk5) for exporting audio and another (flex) for listening. You have to pick one.
So your monitors are connected to the flex? Running spdif from ULMk5 out to the Flex will allow you to have the ULMk5 selected as your interface and feed a digital signal to your Flex and speakers. That’s how i run my setup with several different DAWs

OP
D

DrSpan

So your monitors are connected to the flex? Running spdif from ULMk5 out to the Flex will allow you to have the ULMk5 selected as your interface and feed a digital signal to your Flex and speakers. That’s how i run my setup with several different DAWs
Thanks.
Yes exactly. So now i went diving into an old drawer and actually found an old toslink and just connected it. Seems to be working sweet !

OP
D

DrSpan

I'll explain my setup that I do first.

I have a Mac with a DAW (Kushview Element).
In the DAW I loaded the Dirac Live room correction plugin, which also acts as a crossover for the subs.
I connected a physical Midi Knob to the Mac which controls the level of the Dirac Live plugin, and therefore acts as a volume control. The mk5 has the master volume set to -12dBFS, corresponding to about 100dB SPL in my system, and I don't touch it. I use the Midi Knob to control the volume. In this way I don't wear the mk5's knob and I don't risk losing my hearing if the Midi Knob fails because the mk5 is set not to exceed 100dB SPL.
The DAW receives audio from the mk5's toslink input, to which I have connected a streamer (Wiim mini), but with loopback software I can also send audio from other Mac applications.
With the CueMix software, or directly in the DAW, I can choose which outputs of the mk5 to send the audio to, so I can connect different systems to it, including headphones (and each output has an independently controlled level, so switching is practical).

Exactly all the functions you need I think, without expensive hardware, that also penalizes signal integrity.

The DAW configuration is saved in a preset file, so I can create different configurations depending on the environment I am in and load them with one click.

If the DAW doesn't seem practical to you, there are other software that allow you to do crossovers and load correction filters. Here on the forum we have a summary thread.

Unfortunately Cuemix doesn't allow you to create serious crossovers... I also don't use it for DSP at all.

PS. Of course, one day a bad firmware update of the mk5 can alter the master volume setting and my ears will be blessed. But we're talking about Motu... not the latest audio hardware manufacturer out there. So I sleep peacefully.
To avoid risk, I also added two pads between the mk5 and my amplifiers to reduce the digital attenuation necessary for normal listening, and also improve SNR/DNR.
Hey there.

So i wondered something and thought you might have tried it and know more about it.

Is there a way to control the Mk5`s main Volume via external means? Like with your Midi Knob for example?

Davide

Hey there.

So i wondered something and thought you might have tried it and know more about it.

Is there a way to control the Mk5`s main Volume via external means? Like with your Midi Knob for example?
There's no way to do that.

Davide

Oh OK. Too bad. I thought you might’ve found some solution to drive the CueMix software or something
You can control the Mk5 remotely with CueMix, but I don't think you can (easily) insert a physical knob.
The only way to use a physical knob is with a volume control in the DAW, which by the way also works for the Mk5's digital output. The Mk5's front knob only works on the analog outputs.

OP
D

DrSpan

You can control the Mk5 remotely with CueMix, but I don't think you can (easily) insert a physical knob.
The only way to use a physical knob is with a volume control in the DAW, which by the way also works for the Mk5's digital output. The Mk5's front knob only works on the analog outputs.
I see.
If i only used the Daw i would probably try it out but i use my computer for everything so its not the solution.
That said, now that the Spl 2 Control is gone i cant help but find the Volume control on the Flex and on the Mk5 so inferior to the Spl.
Not only cause of the tactile feel but also because i could control Volume from absolute stillness to ear bleed with half a turn on the Knob.

On the digital volumes i find it really frustrating when i want to move the master volume up and down in a fast swoop. Its like turning a screw in and out

Cant have it all

Davide

I see.
If i only used the Daw i would probably try it out but i use my computer for everything so its not the solution.
That said, now that the Spl 2 Control is gone i cant help but find the Volume control on the Flex and on the Mk5 so inferior to the Spl.
Not only cause of the tactile feel but also because i could control Volume from absolute stillness to ear bleed with half a turn on the Knob.

On the digital volumes i find it really frustrating when i want to move the master volume up and down in a fast swoop. Its like turning a screw in and out

Cant have it all
The midi knob is customizable, so no risk.

OP
D

DrSpan

The midi knob is customizable, so no risk.
Ok i might buy one out of curiosity.
Though i am a bit confused cause i realized that the Volume on the Flex works fine when connected via Toslink to the Motu but if i turn the Volume dial on the Motu
on the Motu the Volume does not change . Is Toslink fixed Volume?

OP
D

DrSpan

I feel like I just started going to school again.I haven’t used tossing since the 90s literally and I never had this kind of demands back then ha ha ha .
OK, thank you nonetheless

OP
D

DrSpan

Update: I just started trying things around. It does not seem to be fixed level.
I went into CueMix and if i go into the Mixer view and if i pull any of these two sliders the volume on the Flex drops or raises correspondingly.

If i however use the Physical Volume on the Motu or the Volume in the Output section it does not affect Volume.
Need to go to sleep and hopefully tomorrow understand what is happening

Attachments

• No.png
    No.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Yes.png
    Yes.png
    724.6 KB · Views: 11

Davide

Update: I just started trying things around. It does not seem to be fixed level.
I went into CueMix and if i go into the Mixer view and if i pull any of these two sliders the volume on the Flex drops or raises correspondingly.

If i however use the Physical Volume on the Motu or the Volume in the Output section it does not affect Volume.
Need to go to sleep and hopefully tomorrow understand what is happening
Sure. Mixer' faders change the level obviously (it's a mixer!).
But master volume control on the front is only for analog outputs.

OP
D

DrSpan

Sure. Mixer' faders change the level obviously (it's a mixer!).
But master volume control on the front is only for analog outputs.
"Mixer' faders change the level obviously (it's a mixer!).“
Yes obviously
Is Toslink fixed Volume?
„Yes"

So also obviously Toslink is not fixed level or else the Flex would non „know“ when to get quiter. So there must be a Volume information transmitted
via Toslink or am i getting this wrong? I am starting to get very confused here ‍

So i need a way to control the Main ou 1+2 in the CueMix via a Midi controller. Only dont know if the software supports this. Going to go out for a walk now….

Top Bottom