• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Combining Motu Ultralite Mk5-Spl 2Control-MiniDsp Hd

Davide

"Mixer' faders change the level obviously (it's a mixer!).“
Yes obviously

„Yes"

So also obviously Toslink is not fixed level or else the Flex would non „know“ when to get quiter. So there must be a Volume information transmitted
via Toslink or am i getting this wrong? I am starting to get very confused here ‍

So i need a way to control the Main ou 1+2 in the CueMix via a Midi controller. Only dont know if the software supports this. Going to go out for a walk now….
I think you're missing some basic understanding of how digital audio works.
But don't worry, I'm the one who's taking these things for granted...

Audio, whether digital or analog, is never at a fixed level... music is a continuous change in level, right?
So the audio waveform can go from a minimum to a maximum.
In digital terms this is 0 to 1, and the intermediate levels (0 point something) depend on the bit depth of the signal (16 bits are 2^16 steps, etc).
The toslink works digitally, therefore the signal is modulated in amplitude (or level) as just mentioned.
Changing the digital level of the music with the fader of the Mk5 mixer means acting on the volume of the audio which then passes through the toslink.
But it is not intended as a volume control of this output. The toslink output passes the audio digitally and that's it, there is no specific volume control.

I don't know if I can explain myself...

OP
D

DrSpan

I think you're missing some basic understanding of how digital audio works.
But don't worry, I'm the one who's taking these things for granted...

Audio, whether digital or analog, is never at a fixed level... music is a continuous change in level, right?
So the audio waveform can go from a minimum to a maximum.
In digital terms this is 0 to 1, and the intermediate levels (0 point something) depend on the bit depth of the signal (16 bits are 2^16 steps, etc).
The toslink works digitally, therefore the signal is modulated in amplitude (or level) as just mentioned.
Changing the digital level of the music with the fader of the Mk5 mixer means acting on the volume of the audio which then passes through the toslink.
But it is not intended as a volume control of this output. The toslink output passes the audio digitally and that's it, there is no specific volume control.

I don't know if I can explain myself...
"I think you're missing some basic understanding of how digital audio works.“
That is correct. I never studied it further cause i literally never cared till now. Mea culpa

So you mean lowering the volume on the Motu „exports“ less volume which equals „exported via less BITs of resolution“ so in short: Conclusion is its basically degrading sound.
Am i right or did i miss it again?

OP
D

DrSpan

That is correct. I never studied it further cause i literally never cared till now. Mea culpa

So you mean lowering the volume on the Motu „exports“ less volume which equals „exported using less BITs of resolution than the maximum possible- so in reduced Bit depth“ so in short: Conclusion is its basically degrading sound.

Davide

So you mean lowering the volume on the Motu „exports“ less volume which equals „exported via less BITs of resolution“ so in short: Conclusion is its basically degrading sound.
Not exactly. Reducing the volume digitally can reduce the signal to noise ratio (SNR) in DA conversion. But keep in mind that music has variable level, each sound goes up and down, therefore its digital coding already implies a variable SNR.
For this reason it is useless to worry about the digital level, unless it is constantly attenuated above -40dBFS, at which point distortion and noise may become relatively high and so audible (I blurted out a number on the spot, don't take it at face value...).

Don't worry about the matter... find a way to adjust the volume on your PC or Mac with a midi knob and you're good to go.

OP
D

DrSpan

Not exactly. Reducing the volume digitally can reduce the signal to noise ratio (SNR) in DA conversion. But keep in mind that music has variable level, each sound goes up and down, therefore its digital coding already implies a variable SNR.
For this reason it is useless to worry about the digital level, unless it is constantly attenuated above -40dBFS, at which point distortion and noise may become relatively high and so audible (I blurted out a number on the spot, don't take it at face value...).

Don't worry about the matter... find a way to adjust the volume on your PC or Mac with a midi knob and you're good to go.
"Don't worry about the matter... find a way to adjust the volume on your PC or Mac with a midi knob and you're good to go.“

Thats all i needed to know. Some caring supportive words…
Awesome. Now i have a clear aim for now

Thanks a lot

Davide

Top Bottom