• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
@Ricwa @Stoutblock no noise added in the chain?
Compared to? Amir only measured the DAC in the SHD with digital input and with a SINAD of 112db it is certainly respectable. In my case I use the SHD for all my line level analog sources so the performance of the ADC is just as important as the DAC. I don’t even use the digital input on the SHD and prefer the performance my Gustard x26pro over the internal DAC of the SHD for converting digital to analog. I use the analog output of the Gustard to input to the analog input of the SHD like all my other sources. Yes I know this results in redundant digital processing. The SHD uses one of the best performing ADC chips on the market so I assume it is SOTA. Of course the DSP performance by itself is not transparent but it‘s function is to correct the output from the speakers in the room so that the end result is more transparent to the source. Dirac Live is the application that does this very well.

I would certainly assume the combination of having the ADC, DSP and DAC in the signal chain would be detrimental to SINAD performance?

Right or wrong, I always assume adding any component to an audio chain has the risk of increasing noise. Every component has to have an audio benefit to justify this risk. It is my opinion the final audio benefits of using the SHD and Direc Live to perform RTA and DSP with my system greatly outweighs any noise floor degradation (assuming there is any). I ended up removing a very high end line level preamplifier from my system and replaced it with the SHD and a high quality switchbox. I simply use the digital volume control in the SHD. I will mention the preamplifier cost many times what I paid for the SHD.

I am a strong supporter that RTA and DSP can improve any system‘s audio enjoyment performance within a given listening room but it cannot turn “water into wine”. However, it can make most any wine taste better…

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Compared to? Amir only measured the DAC in the SHD with digital input and with a SINAD of 112db it is certainly respectable. In my case I use the SHD for all my line level analog sources so the performance of the ADC is just as important as the DAC. I don’t even use the digital input on the SHD and prefer the performance my Gustard x26pro over the internal DAC of the SHD for converting digital to analog. I use the analog output of the Gustard to input to the analog input of the SHD like all my other sources.
Have you compared doing this to sending the digital output to your Gustard DAC instead? This would seem more logical, unless you need the 4 output channels rather than two.

(In my own system I use an SMSL VMV D1se DAC connected to the digital outputs of my SHD for the main speaker signals, with the SHD's DAC now just used for the subwoofer signal.)

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
Have you compared doing this to sending the digital output to your Gustard DAC instead? This would seem more logical, unless you need the 4 output channels rather than two.

(In my own system I use an SMSL VMV D1se DAC connected to the digital outputs of my SHD for the main speaker signals, with the SHD's DAC now just used for the subwoofer signal.)
These are the two options current vs your proposed alternate. Besides not being able to use outputs for channel 3 & 4 from the SHD, I also have a large quantity of DSD files on my server that cannot be recognized by the SHD digital input. If I connect the server directly to the DAC (which is capable of processing DSD files) I lose the DSP ability in the SHD.
system option.jpg

Ultrasonic

These are the two options current vs your proposed alternate. Besides not being able to use outputs for channel 3 & 4 from the SHD, I also have a large quantity of DSD files on my server that cannot be recognized by the SHD digital input. If I connect the server directly to the DAC (which is capable of processing DSD files) I lose the DSP ability in the SHD.

You didn't actually answer my question but I'll take that as a no :). The DSD context obviously gives you a reason to do things as you do. If you do only need 2 output channels (you haven't said) then I'd encourage you to at least give the alternative a try just in case you felt there was an improvement (affecting all playback) that was worth the trade-off of no longer being able to play DSD files. It would cost you nothing other than time to experiment.

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
You didn't actually answer my question but I'll take that as a no :). The DSD context obviously gives you a reason to do things as you do. If you do only need 2 output channels (you haven't said) then I'd encourage you to at least give the alternative a try just in case you felt there was an improvement (affecting all playback) that was worth the trade-off of no longer being able to play DSD files. It would cost you nothing other than time to experiment.
Actually I did try the alternate setup several times over the last few years. Even though I have to believe the internal DAC in the SHD is a bottleneck in comparison to the Gustard, I also can’t say I could actually hear a difference between the two setups. I know there is a response difference though because Dirac Live had to develop slightly different filter solutions in the DSP with the Gustard DAC after the SHD in the signal chain. Perhaps without DSP there would be a more significant difference?

Even though my speakers (Audio Artistry Beethoven Elite) are each 4 way passive speakers that require an active crossover, I do not use channels 3 & 4 on the SHD for sub management. Instead I use the extensive analog 2x4 active crossover that Siegfried Linkwitz designed (he also designed the speakers). Each crossover was specifically matched to the speakers and sold as a set. I have tried using digital methods to match this analog crossover but with no success, at least nothing that matches the performance of Linkwitz’s original work. It is a very impressive crossover. It should also be noted that Linkwitz did not refer to his two seperate bass response modules as subs but instead considered them as a part of a full range speaker. He also provides very specific locations for these modules to be placed adjacent to the 3 way main panel speakers.

I am tempted to try a DEQX pre-8 to replace the SHD and analog crossover if I can figure out a way to get my hands on one in the states? It does process DSD but in the end not sure it would actually perform better than the SHD? It certainly costs more. I would not want to pay the price and then be disappointed?

These speakers are exceptional in using open baffle and di-pole architecture along with their proprietary crossover to provide a lifelike and full response to most any listening room. The SHD with Direc Live takes them to an even higher level. I’ve been impressed with the sound of many great systems I’ve heard over the years but with my current system I don’t really think about the sound much. I just enjoy having the musicians walk into my room as they play :)

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

@Orca5 did you possibly mean to ask a question?

JoostE

Looking to get an upgrade from my old minidsp 4x10. I already have a streamer (Allo digione). Is there any reason to get the SHD over the flex?

Mainly looking to get Dirac and better dac performance.

I read that the SHD uses a higher sample rate in Dirac, but I also found contrary information about that. Not quite sure if that is even valuable either.

Curious what the consensus is nowadays between these two devices.

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Looking to get an upgrade from my old minidsp 4x10. I already have a streamer (Allo digione). Is there any reason to get the SHD over the flex?

Mainly looking to get Dirac and better dac performance.

I read that the SHD uses a higher sample rate in Dirac, but I also found contrary information about that. Not quite sure if that is even valuable either.

Curious what the consensus is nowadays between these two devices.
The Flex processes Dirac Live at 48 kHz-32 bits vs. 96 kHz-32 bits in the SHD - Here is our comparison guide , look at this and the feature set may drive your decision.

Last edited:

JoostE

The Flex processes Dirac Live at 48 kHz-32 bits vs. 96 kHz-32 bits in the SHD - Here is our comparison guide , look at this and the feature set may drive your decision.
Thanks for your reply, that is a very convenient table!

Do I need a umik-2 to make use of the higher sampling rate in Dirac Live? I already own an Umik-1.

JoostE

Cool thnx for the replies. Any news on the AKM Vs ESS version of the device? I read a couple of pages back some are using an ESS dac, but haven't found anywhere if it is close to spec, or whether it has the dreaded ESS bump

Four Kneez

I have some questions about how I have my SHD setup in my entertainment room.

Right now, I have a PS5 and Nintendo Switch connected to an LG G1 via HDMI, and the audio from the consoles and the TV itself is routed to the SHD via the TV's optical output. I then connect my two monoblock amplifiers to the SHD via two of the XLR outputs. (I'm hoping to add two subwoofers to the setup later, probably by connecting them via the other two XLR outputs on the SHD. But that might be a problem for another day.)

I haven't had any audio connection issues yet, so all in all, this setup has been working fine for me. The G1 audio settings have "Sound Out" set to "Optical Out Device" (as opposed to "HDMI(ARC) Device") and "Digital Sound Output" set to "PCM" (as opposed to "Pass Through"). If I recall correctly, using the optical output means I can't use Dolby Atmos or DTS HD Master Audio, but that doesn't seem like an actual problem, since I only have a 2-channel setup.

Is this the optimal way to use the TV audio output? Would there be any benefit to using the HDMI eARC output instead, say by adding an HDMI audio extractor?

I'm also thinking of adding a Panasonic DP-UB820 to my setup to play HDR10+ and Dolby Vision video content. The simplest thing to do seems to be to connect the DP-UB820 to the G1 via HDMI video out and to the SHD via optical audio out, although this would require using a digital audio switch or converter.

Would this be the best approach for connecting everything in the new setup? Would I instead want to connect the DP-UB820 to the SHD by using the HDMI audio out and a converter or extractor?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Can’t you do it the same way as your PS5 and Nintendo Switch?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple of questions for fellow SHD owners:
  1. I've gotten in the habit of leaving my SHD on 24/7 (I explain why in the next point). But I have noticed that the top of the case is always warm. Not hot, but definitely warm - and it doesn't seem to vary based on whether the unit is sleeping/in standby vs in active use. The warmth clearly is emanating from the front-right corner of the unit, where the PSU is. Is this warmth normal in others' experience?
  2. Normally I would just turn it off using the remote's power button when I'm not using it. But when I do that, the unit emits a noise - I'm 99% it's coil whine, and it comes from the exact same spot - clearly emanating from the PSU. There is no coil whine at all once the unit has been powered back on/woken up - it goes mechanically silent as soon as I press the power button on the remote to wake it back up. The coil whine only occurs when the rear power switch is On and the the unit has been put in standby mode with the remote. Has anyone else experienced this?
Here is a link to the sound: at about 2 seconds into the recording, I press the power button on the remote to put the SHD into standby mode. I've amplified the recording 24dB (and edited out the click of me pressing the remote button) to make the whine easily audible. In real life it's much lower in volume, but just loud enough that when the AC is not running I can hear it across the room if my ears are anywhere near horizontally level with the SHD's position in my cabinet (e.g. if I'm seated).

The unit seems to function perfectly well, but I thought I'd check in about the heat issue because if it's not normal then it could shorten the unit's life and at any rate I'd want to investigate a return/swap with MiniDSP.

I am aware that the simplest way to deal with both the heat and the coil whine is to turn the unit completely off - but do to that I have to reach around the back and flip the mechanical on/off switch every time I start or stop listening, and I'd rather not do that - it's inconvenient and IMHO I should not have to do that.

Thanks for any experiences and insights folks can share!

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
A couple of questions for fellow SHD owners:
  1. I've gotten in the habit of leaving my SHD on 24/7 (I explain why in the next point). But I have noticed that the top of the case is always warm. Not hot, but definitely warm - and it doesn't seem to vary based on whether the unit is sleeping/in standby vs in active use. The warmth clearly is emanating from the front-right corner of the unit, where the PSU is. Is this warmth normal in others' experience?
  2. Normally I would just turn it off using the remote's power button when I'm not using it. But when I do that, the unit emits a noise - I'm 99% it's coil whine, and it comes from the exact same spot - clearly emanating from the PSU. There is no coil whine at all once the unit has been powered back on/woken up - it goes mechanically silent as soon as I press the power button on the remote to wake it back up. The coil whine only occurs when the rear power switch is On and the the unit has been put in standby mode with the remote. Has anyone else experienced this?
Here is a link to the sound: at about 2 seconds into the recording, I press the power button on the remote to put the SHD into standby mode. I've amplified the recording 24dB (and edited out the click of me pressing the remote button) to make the whine easily audible. In real life it's much lower in volume, but just loud enough that when the AC is not running I can hear it across the room if my ears are anywhere near horizontally level with the SHD's position in my cabinet (e.g. if I'm seated).

The unit seems to function perfectly well, but I thought I'd check in about the heat issue because if it's not normal then it could shorten the unit's life and at any rate I'd want to investigate a return/swap with MiniDSP.

I am aware that the simplest way to deal with both the heat and the coil whine is to turn the unit completely off - but do to that I have to reach around the back and flip the mechanical on/off switch every time I start or stop listening, and I'd rather not do that - it's inconvenient and IMHO I should not have to do that.

Thanks for any experiences and insights folks can share!
I’ve never noticed any sound physically coming from my SHD. On all of my components that have thin sheet metal construction I always add Dynamat to the inside surfaces as they tend to resonate when I have the volume up a bit on my system. I have done this to my SHD so maybe that dampens any sound it may be created on its own? I have had noisy transformers on components in the past and I know it can be an irritating sound.

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is left on 24/7 and very slightly warm to the touch. Never any noise though.

Thanks! Mine is not hot to the touch, but I would describe it as more than "slightly" warm. Having now turned it off long enough for the top to cool down, I can also confrm that once it's turned back on, the part of the top case directly above the PSU quickly gets slightly warm, and then over the next 20-30 minutes or so the warmth spreads over the entire top of the case. The area over the PSU is always warmer than everywhere else, but I'm not thrilled that the entire top of the case gets warm. It just doesn't seem like this type of device should do that when it's on but idle and not actually processing a signal (aka playing music etc).

Ironically, I got the SHD to use with an amp and a pair of passive speakers, but have since switched to actives with digital input - had I been able to predict the future, I would have instead gotten the SHD Studio, which has only digital outputs... and has an external power supply, which therefore would have prevented this entire issue.

Top Bottom