• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if
Sure I have lots of DSD files and they're all working fine. For example.

View attachment 107554

I have Qobuz too so I also tried the album you suggested, no issues.

View attachment 107555

If you want to setup for a quick switch test (LAN/USB) inputs only.
Try No Deal by Melanie de Biasio. The first track "I Feel You" is atmospheric and I was able to pass a blind between inputs.
This is 44.1kHz so does not have the pop issue.

SHDNoDeal(Melanie De Biasio).jpg

There is no DSP of any kind applied in Roon nor in the SHD.

- Rich

Staki

Forum Donor
My RPi is now disconnected so I'll have to redeploy it. I can do this test over the weekend. Do you see the same issue with your local files as with Qobuz?

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ARGH!!!!

I received my SHD yesterday and started playing. Guess what, the USB Host output is turned off in StandBy and works perfectly well triggering the Benchmark AHB2 amps (or any other amp that responds to 5 volts). I also verified this with a USB power meter.

@Sonnie, too bad you bought a bunch of unnecessary work arounds.

I will try using a splitter which should permit the SHD plugin and trigger to work at the same time.

- Rich
Strange, i tested with a voltmeter and it seemed to be turned on. Will try again

Kachda

Forum Donor
I know RichB has his set to off.

I posted in the miniDSP forum trying to find out about version 1.073. No help yet. RichB's serial number on his unit is not that much newer than mine... so the USB port difference is either due to the system software version difference, or they made a hardware change between 45 units and a few weeks time frame. I also just opened a ticket with miniDSP about it... and I emailed Tony (owner of miniDSP) last night, although he's so busy it can take several days for him to respond. I don't have popping issues, but I also don't use Volumio or Roon Bridge. I enable Roon Ready and choose the SHD in the Roon Audio Devices.
My SHD is also on 1.062. Clicking on check for updates does not show any updates. Is the SHD update functionality broken ?

1611252781659.png

samysound

SHD dropouts using Roon Bridge with sources greater than 44.1 kHz

The SHD has occasional pops when streaming via LAN (gig) via the Roon Bridge.
This first became apparent because the SHD does not accept DSD DOP.
DSD is converted to LPCM at 385.2 kHz and then down-sampled to 176.4 kHz.
This is causing issues on my SHD with 1.15 firmware 1.21 and Volumio 1.073.

I setup a test with Roon with these sources:
The DietPi (RPI3) is connected to the SHD USB in.
The LAN (gig) is connected and the SHD Roon Bridge (ALSA) is installed.

Roon Group zones for both are linked for simultaneous output.
The SHD plugin is set to default settings with no PEQ or other adjustments and all but the LAN and USB are disabled.
This allows the remote to be used to instantaneously switch between LAN (Roon Bridge) and USB (RPI3 Roon Bridge).

The DietPi/USB has no issues and the SHD Roon Bridge has pops.
The two sources do not sound the same, the SHD Roon Bridge sounds a bit congested and pops.

- Rich
Hi,
Are you using the roon bridge plugin download in volumio? if so, delete it and use the native roon compatibility.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My RPi is now disconnected so I'll have to redeploy it. I can do this test over the weekend. Do you see the same issue with your local files as with Qobuz?

Yes, pops and sound quality differences occur with local files as well as with Qobuz, both streamed via Roon Bridge.
I first discovered it playing local DSD files and hearing pops. This is likely due to the high-bit rate conversion.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
Are you using the roon bridge plugin download in volumio? if so, delete it and use the native roon compatibility.

I am using the Roon bridge plugin because the Roon Ready is not certified and I am not a "Developer".

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My SHD is also on 1.062. Clicking on check for updates does not show any updates. Is the SHD update functionality broken ?

View attachment 107578

If the Volumio System Version is responsible for the change in behavior, then you will have power in standby.
This is possible because the Martix Element i was also using Volumio (I think) and kept the USB port hot to avoid rescanning attached storage for media files.

- Rich

Kachda

Forum Donor
If the Volumio System Version is responsible for the change in behavior, then you will have power in standby.
This is possible because the Martix Element i was also using Volumio (I think) and kept the USB port hot to avoid rescanning attached storage for media files.

- Rich
That gives me an idea. I’ll try to see if there’s an option to stop volumio scanning for storage

samysound

I am using the Roon bridge plugin because the Roon Ready is not certified and I am not a "Developer".

- Rich
Hi, oh bummer. My SHD shows up in roon just fine without need to runt he plugin. Might be worth and email to roon to see if they will enable that for you since minidsp has certification in the works.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That gives me an idea. I’ll try to see if there’s an option to stop volumio scanning for storage
I turned off all Volumio functions except the Roon Bridge plugin but I think the trigger was working before that.
I only turned them off to see if it helped the pop issue and it did not.

When I loaded RoPiee on the RPI3 it crashed my network after a few hours running wireless. I am a bit leery of that software so I use DietPi and there are no problems with the Roon Bridge, wired or wireless.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, oh bummer. My SHD shows up in roon just fine without need to runt he plugin. Might be worth and email to roon to see if they will enable that for you since minidsp has certification in the works.

I submitted a "Developer" request to Roon using the contact page.

- Rich

Sonnie

I also have the ticket open and a forum thread started with miniDSP to try to find out how to update to version 1.073 to see if this indeed affects the USB power on voltage.

Kachda

Forum Donor
I also have the ticket open and a forum thread started with miniDSP to try to find out how to update to version 1.073 to see if this indeed affects the USB power on voltage.
Please do let us know if it works

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this cable will work... or does it have to be a mono tip? EDIT: I see in the AHB2 Manual it show TRS... so this should work.

View attachment 107177

Or I suppose I could use an adapter with the provided 3.5mm cables from Benchmark.

View attachment 107179

Should other find the USB host powers off in standby, The cable from Benchmark may work but this one does not work:

Amazon.com: Ancable 3-Feet USB 2.0 Type A to 3.5mm AUX Male Charging Cable Cord for MP3 MP4 Players, Headphones, Speakers, Watches, Boombox, Research Chips and Any Other Device with 3.5mm Port: Industrial & Scientific

- Rich

Ultrasonic

View attachment 107578

For info. I used the functionality in the past to upgrade to 1.062. My bet is that 1.073 just hasn't been released as a general update.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SHD LAN Roon Bridge compared to a USB Connected RPI3 (Roon Bridge)

I have been listening to Adele 19 "First Love" and the difference is dramatic.
The RPI3 sounds right with with more bass and the SHD sometimes pushes the midrange.

It occurred to me that SHD LAN sounds like the FL/FR are out of phase, often cancelling some bass. Just a thought.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I reached out the Roon for Developer support. My prayers have been answered and the answer is no :p

- Rich

Ultrasonic

It occurred to me that SHD LAN sounds like the FL/FR are out of phase, often cancelling some bass. Just a thought.

You could deliberately invert one input in the plugin to fix this if it were true.

Ultrasonic

(Dumb question removed.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom