• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

YouCanCallMeGeorge

Forum Donor
Thanks for the explanation... and that is understandable.
In addition to the concern about clipping, there is simple curiosity as to what is actually being done by the Dirac Live filter. For example, in my room there is a steep "ravine" from 60 to 80 Hz, ~13 dB deep. It would be interesting to see the compensation applied in that area.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In addition to the concern about clipping, there is simple curiosity as to what is actually being done by the Dirac Live filter. For example, in my room there is a steep "ravine" from 60 to 80 Hz, ~13 dB deep. It would be interesting to see the compensation applied in that area.

It's a black box. That is why I'll start with REW filters generated with for the MiniDSP HD that are compatible with the SHD.

- Rich

Sonnie

I can tell you from my regular acoustic measurements that it doesn't fix everything, but it gets really close. I can still see some very narrow dips, but in the grand scheme of things... it's nothing I can pinpoint in my hearing. That's basically why I use smoothing so I can see what I'm actually hearing. Of course there is also clipping protection with the AHB2 amps.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been listening to the SHD flat to compare it to the Oppo UDP-205. They are level-matched and connected to AHB2 for quick switching.
Roon zones are grouped and both are stream using Linux ALSA (the Oppo via a RPI3).
The SHD sounds a bit better resolved. The Oppo could be something with the RPI.
The SHD sounds wonderful even without EQ. This is an excellent device.

- Rich

YouCanCallMeGeorge

Forum Donor
It's a black box. That is why I'll start with REW filters generated with for the MiniDSP HD that are compatible with the SHD.

- Rich
Black box it may be...but the meaning of "black box" is that you know what you put in and what you get out—you just don't know how the output is generated.

Sonnie

Red is +5 volts, black is ground, leave the data cables unconnected. So Red goes to the tip.

- Rich
Hey Rich... I think you have a defective SHD... lol. I'm not sure what's up with your unit, is it an older unit maybe... before the WiFi dongle was standard?

I stripped all the wires back on a USB cable, plugged it in my SHD... I get 5 volts with the unit powered on and off. For giggles I connected a mono and stereo mini plug to the USB (both tips hot)... my amps stay on all the time.

So it ain't working for me... unfortunately.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey Rich... I think you have a defective SHD... lol. I'm not sure what's up with your unit, is it an older unit maybe... before the WiFi dongle was standard?

I stripped all the wires back on a USB cable, plugged it in my SHD... I get 5 volts with the unit powered on and off. For giggles I connected a mono and stereo mini plug to the USB (both tips hot)... my amps stay on all the time.

So it ain't working for me... unfortunately.

That may be it. There is a WiFi dongle that plugs into the USB that I wont be using.
It might be a change with the latest version. Wifi is disabled and the only plug-in installed is Roon Bridge.
SHDNetwork.jpg
SHDSystemSettingsjpg.jpg

Perhaps there is some software setting that has the effect of keeping the USB-Host port hot.
My firmware is from Dec 16'th 2020.

- Rich

Last edited:

Sonnie

That may be it. There is a WiFi dongle that plugs into the USB that I wont be using.
It might be a change with the latest version. Wifi is disabled and the only plug-in installed is Roon Bridge.

Perhaps there is some software setting that has the effect of keeping the USB-Host port hot.
My firmware is from Dec 16'th 2020.

- Rich
Very odd... same settings here... WiFi is turned off, but I don't have any plugins running. Never used the WiFi.

My SHD software is 1.15 and Firmware is 1.21

1611106184205.png

1611106466864.png

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Black box it may be...but the meaning of "black box" is that you know what you put in and what you get out—you just don't know how the output is generated.

Dirac maximum gain is opaque.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very odd... same settings here... WiFi is turned off, but I don't have any plugins running. Never used the WiFi.

My SHD software is 1.15 and Firmware is 1.21

View attachment 107265

I have the same version.
In the web interface: System Version: 1.073 Released Web Dec 16 18:24:46 CET 2020.

I also disable most sources:

SHDSources.jpg

- Rich

Sonnie

I only have LAN checked. I checked USB to see if maybe that made a difference, but it does not.

I am on System version 1.062 from June. Let me update that and see if it makes a difference.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Functionalities Control? I don't even use Volumio, so I'm not sure this affects anything.

View attachment 107272

I don't see then functionalities control menu. Perhaps because I am not a Roon ready developer.
You could try turning them all off and see if that works.

I suspect software is involved rather than a hardware change.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Functionalities Control? I don't even use Volumio, so I'm not sure this affects anything.

View attachment 107272

I don't see the Functionalities Control menu perhaps because I am not a Roon Developer.
You could try turning them off.

1611108621981.png

I am using Roon Bridge and it is the only plug-in.
I had a Matrix Element i that also used Volumio and its USB-A port stayed hot to avoid rescanning attached media files.
That seemed like an odd choice but I wonder if that is creeping in here.

I think I have stumbled upon something but I don't know what it is.

- Rich

Sonnie

Yeah... no Roon Bridge here. I guess I could install it just to see if it affect the port.

Functionalities Control is under My Music... and that is where the Roon Ready option is.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah... no Roon Bridge here. I guess I could install it just to see if it affect the port.

Functionalities Control is under My Music... and that is where the Roon Ready option is.

I think the software is different. It may be that you are locked into the older firmware with Roon Ready.
1611109426190.png

- Rich

Sonnie

When I click on Plugins... it does not allow me to search.

1611109576109.png

Yep... my software looks different for sure. I have a settings gear icon in the upper right corner.

1611109641198.png

Sonnie

Volumio doesn't know I'm a Roon Developer, but if I update the software to 1.073, I may very well lose the Roon Ready option. If I uncheck that, I can no longer see the SHD under Roon Ready under Audio Devices in Roon.

TimW

Major Contributor
You got my hopes up @RichB. I also tried the usb host as a trigger but it is always on. I updated the SHD firmware to the latest and greatest to no avail. I haven't looked at volumio because I don't have my unit connected to the network. Maybe you have a newer hardware version?

Top Bottom