• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

Keened

Forum Donor
Some people use a Y-splitter into the sub for that.

Do you mean splitting the TRS-RCA adapter on each output so there will be both a L+R input into each sub?

So Output 3 -> TRS-RCA adapter -> RCA y-splitter -> L and R input on sub (presumably summing internally)? I'm not sure how that would help since I would still have to reduce the gain on the output to match the subs to the main speakers. Unless I use the on-board gain controls for the subwoofers, but I was trying to avoid that since it would probably introduce more noise vs doing it all inside the Flex (also makes level matching and configuration reproduction more tricky). But I suppose if it comes down to it I could try to rough hand level, mark it on the plate, and then do some measurements and do the last bit electronically.

I'd still like an expander though so I could make at least a rough loudness curve :(

poxymoron

miniDSP Device Console now available in beta for the Flex

MCH

Major Contributor
And what do you guys think about connecting wisa speakers wirelessly to the flex 8 as announced in the newsletter?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And what do you guys think about connecting wisa speakers wirelessly to the flex 8 as announced in the newsletter?
Without multichannel input, it seems kind of limited. Would also like to see MiniDSP WiSa receivers to retrofit existing speakers.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
Without multichannel input, it seems kind of limited. Would also like to see MiniDSP WiSa receivers to retrofit existing speakers.
True, did not think about that, makes it sort of ridiculous. Unless they open the door for more input channels via usb (if that is even possible)

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
As I am the designated audience (B&O speakers) my first reaction was: wow! And my second: what for?

It's a great feature to attract customers but I'm not sold on the actual benefits. Dirac I understand; Wisa I just don't know. If I would have speakers all around my living room with cables everywhere, then yes. As it stands I'm just using stereo and very satisfied with that.

Edit: maybe I could use it with two subwoofers placed far from the unit itself. For that use case I would still need receivers though.

Last edited:

Keened

Forum Donor
As I am the designated audience (B&O speakers) my first reaction was: wow! And my second: what for?

It's a great feature to attract customers but I'm not sold on the actual benefits. Dirac I understand; Wisa I just don't know. If I would have speakers all around my living room with cables everywhere, then yes. As it stands I'm just using stereo and very satisfied with that.

Edit: maybe I could use it with two subwoofers placed far from the unit itself. For that use case I would still need receivers though.
The real benefit of wisa is seamless whole house audio (a la sonos) and no-break setups for renters and other people who can't run wires (or if you want to experiment).

withoutsuit

It's perfect for multisubwoofer configuration. I already use a 4 sub-wireless configuration - If I wouldn't have a working system already, then this would be really a big pro argument for the flex!

Reactions: MCH

mglobe

Forum Donor
I just found this in the Flex User downloads: Beta of Device Console. Looks interesting. Two things I see that would help convenience. 1: You can name profiles instead of just having numbers. 2: You can deactivate inputs that you don't use. This is great for me, as I only use USB and Analogue. With this, I can just toggle back and forth between the two instead of cycling through them all.

radix

Major Contributor
I just found this in the Flex User downloads: Beta of Device Console. Looks interesting. Two things I see that would help convenience. 1: You can name profiles instead of just having numbers. 2: You can deactivate inputs that you don't use. This is great for me, as I only use USB and Analogue. With this, I can just toggle back and forth between the two instead of cycling through them all.

The input activation might not be new. At least for the SHD, it's been around for a while.

I wish they let one rename the inputs. "RCA" means nothing to my partner. I wish I could call it "Phono". Same for SPDIF and XLR, etc. I have to print out a cheat sheet for her so she knows how to use the system. I also deactivated the profile buttons and dirac on/off on my Sofabaton. No reason to misconfigure those by accidentally pushing the button.

kolestonin

I installed my MiniDsp Flex yesterday but it seems I have some problems with my sub integration.

2 TRS to XLR cables are connecting output 1&2 of my Flex to my power amp.
A single TRS to 2RCA cable is connected from output 3 to my sub inputs.

My sub is not reacting to the changes I apply via SVS application though.
With my previous setup(Topping E30+2 active speakers) changes in the app had a significant impact on sound.
Setting the volume to 0db was causing an exteme boomy effect for example. Low pass filter changes as well.

With my current setup sub does not react to any change I do.
I tried to reset sub setting to factory default and investigate my options within MiniDsp plugin but I also had no luck.
I can see there is activity on my sub output in the plugin(attaching some screenshots so you can check if you see something wrong).

I finally tried to completely turn off the sub but again I couldn't hear any sound changes.
So my guess is that my sub is in a way out of chain(??)

Off course I am an uber noob, this my first passive setup and all my attempts to fix the problem were done late at night under tirenes and frustration.

I will certainly continue to investigate today but I would also appreciate some opinion on where the problem could stand and also on what I can try in order to overcome it.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Capture256.JPG
    Capture256.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Capture2569878.JPG
    Capture2569878.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 69

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I installed my MiniDsp Flex yesterday but it seems I have some problems with my sub integration.

With my previous setup(Topping E30+2 active speakers) changes in the app had a significant impact on sound.
Setting the volume to 0db was causing an exteme boomy effect for example. Low pass filter changes as well.

I tried to reset sub setting to factory default and investigate my options within MiniDsp plugin but I also had no luck.
I can see there is activity on my sub output in the plugin(attaching some screenshots so you can check if you see something wrong).

I finally tried to completely turn off the sub but again I couldn't hear any sound changes.

Off course I am an uber noob, this my first passive setup and all my attempts to fix the problem were done late at night under tirenes and frustration.

I will certainly continue to investigate today but I would also appreciate some opinion on where the problem could stand and also on what I can try in order to overcome it.

Thanks in advance
On your sub channel you have a HPF and a LPF both set at 100Hz. Wouldn’t this mean that you have effectively cancelled out any signal passing through?

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Thanks in advance
Can you show us the input & routing screen? You should have inputs 1&2 (L&R) both routed to output 3.

hoppy IPA

@kolestonin - did you sync the settings to the Flex?

On your sub channel you have a HPF and a LPF both set at 100Hz. Wouldn’t this mean that you have effectively cancelled out any signal passing through?

In pic 2 his filters are not active. You must click on the grey "bypassed" text which will turn purple & the x-over curve will show.
example:
Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 6.27.31 AM.png

Harryharryharry

I asked about retrofitting for the flex and it seems unlikely as there isn't enough real estate on the device.

poxymoron

Thanks in advance
If I was you I'd skip the old miniDSP plugin and download the Device Console. It's a much better interface.

kolestonin

I even tried different values(even after disabling bypass as suggested by @hoppy IPA) but nothing changed.
Can you show us the input & routing screen? You should have inputs 1&2 (L&R) both routed to output 3.
I am attaching the screenshot:)
@kolestonin - did you sync the settings to the Flex?

In pic 2 his filters are not active. You must click on the grey "bypassed" text which will turn purple & the x-over curve will show.
example:
View attachment 237873
The first absolute run after the installation I clicked on Restore config and then on Synchronize config as suggested by the manual.
Today I was asked again when running the plugin and just clicked on Synchronize config.
Both times synchronization went smooth with no errors or problems.

I tried clicking on the bypassed and indeed text turns to purple and the curve appears.
I also tried applying different values with no luck.
Sub is always out of chain and I now I have the 100% proof as I physically touched it's woofer under any scenario.
Note that the graph in the plugin is also always presenting activity.

If I was you I'd skip the old miniDSP plugin and download the Device Console. It's a much better interface.
Thanks for suggestion. I also found other users reporting is better. I will definitely give it a try.

Attachments

• bypass.JPG
    bypass.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 53
  • input and routing.JPG
    input and routing.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 43

Keened

Forum Donor
I even tried different values(even after disabling bypass as suggested by @hoppy IPA) but nothing changed.

I am attaching the screenshot:)

The first absolute run after the installation I clicked on Restore config and then on Synchronize config as suggested by the manual.
Today I was asked again when running the plugin and just clicked on Synchronize config.
Both times synchronization went smooth with no errors or problems.

I tried clicking on the bypassed and indeed text turns to purple and the curve appears.
I also tried applying different values with no luck.
Sub is always out of chain and I now I have the 100% proof as I physically touched it's woofer under any scenario.
Note that the graph in the plugin is also always presenting activity.

Thanks for suggestion. I also found other users reporting is better. I will definitely give it a try.
Does your subwoofer have an auto-on feature? I found that with my subwoofers I had to apply a compression filter on from -120 to -26 to force the signal out to reach the minimal voltage to wake it up regularly.

Also are you routing both channel 1 and 2 to output 3? On the routing page it should be:

Channel 1: Output 1 on, Output 2 off, Output 3 on, Output 4 off
Channel 2: Output 1 off, Output 2 on, Output 3 on, Output 4 off.

kolestonin

Sub has indeed a stand by feature but it is disabled. Sub is always on.
Do you mind posting you compression filter screen? I don't think it will change much given my sub is always on but I can give it a try.

Routing is also as you say.
You can check the screenshot I attached in my previous post.

ps: I am using a 5m Mogami 3106 TRS-> 2 RCA cable.

edit:
I found the culprit!
Thanks to this article in MiniDsp Flex database:

below suggestion fixed my issue:
OPTION2: Just don't get BOTH RCA to the subwoofer. Just connect one side (E.g. Left). That will be fine since L&R are already mixed inside the Flex DSP matrix mixer.

I was looking for a 2534 cable but the merchant told me that for intented purpose the most adequate cable is the 3106 one which is literally two 2549 in twin form and smaller factor.
I paid 60 euros for this cable which was custom made using Switchcraft AAU RCA.

Subwoofer is now up and running.

The question is:
shall I return the cable?
sub is working but am I taking the 100% out of it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom