• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 76.0%

• Total voters

wandulus

One question:
I'm planning to get a MiniDSP flex, TRS version, which I assume is better in SNR.
The issue is that (for the moment) I got a Loxjie A30 amp, which only got RCA inputs. It's OK to just get a TRS to RCA cable?
My idea is to get an Apollon or Audiophonics amp with XLR inputs later on.

Monty67

Stupid question, but we have to ask : are running the latest software.... ?
1708007113419.png

Monty67

Or try an email to:
[email protected]
ok ive opened a ticket with them. And i received a response that i will receive a personal response usually within 36-48 hours Mon-Fri.

Ive also touched base with SOLEN.CA and they said the first step is to start the ticket with MINIDSP and CC them on all communication

So i have to say im annoyed by this. Yes i understand that this is a FIRST WORLD PROBLEM, i dont care- i spent almost $1000 on this with taxes.

I will report back when i get some real information

radix

Major Contributor
ok ive opened a ticket with them. And i received a response that i will receive a personal response usually within 36-48 hours Mon-Fri.
I think today (feb 15) is the last day of Chinese new year; maybe it's Feb 16 already there. Things might be a bit backed up for them due to the long holiday.

My prior experience with them (a year or so ago) for a 2x4HD was a prompt response and they were very helpful working through my problem. The timezone differences were the main issue.

Monty67

So i got a response from minidsp last night.

You may hardware reset to test with it or we may suggest you to check its power adaptor , does it stable deliver 12.0V DC ? otherwise you can send back to us for checking.

A) If you're getting the error, you could try the reset as follow

- Remove DC power
- Press reset button at back of the unit
- Plug 12VDC supply while pressing the reset.
- Try to connect with the Device console now and Reset ALL your unit.
Hoping this info helps and feel free to contact us if you have further questions.

Monty67

So i got a response from minidsp last night.

You may hardware reset to test with it or we may suggest you to check its power adaptor , does it stable deliver 12.0V DC ? otherwise you can send back to us for checking.

A) If you're getting the error, you could try the reset as follow

- Remove DC power
- Press reset button at back of the unit
- Plug 12VDC supply while pressing the reset.
- Try to connect with the Device console now and Reset ALL your unit.
Hoping this info helps and feel free to contact us if you have further questions.
I tried their steps listed and no dice. still the same as before. have to turn it on and off plenty of times to get sound...im going for a walk

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I tried their steps listed and no dice. still the same as before. have to turn it on and off plenty of times to get sound...im going for a walk
In case you haven't tried (which you probably have), have it be the only usb device attached to your computer, and use the USB cable they provided with the miniDSP. Does it still present the same frustrating issue? I had some initial issues, and it was related to my USB chain.

Monty67

In case you haven't tried (which you probably have), have it be the only usb device attached to your computer, and use the USB cable they provided with the miniDSP. Does it still present the same frustrating issue? I had some initial issues, and it was related to my USB chain.
Yes. I only have it attached to my cpu to run measurments. Once my measurements are saved onto the MINIDSP, then i disconnect it from my cpu.

It happens regardless of it being connected via usb to my cpu or not. Same outcome

Th0805

My analog input is standard rca phono preamp and analog output is to a balanced purify amp. Which version of the Flex do I get?

radix

Major Contributor
Yes. I only have it attached to my cpu to run measurments. Once my measurements are saved onto the MINIDSP, then i disconnect it from my cpu.

It happens regardless of it being connected via usb to my cpu or not. Same outcome
Monty,

What's the complete setup? What's your input? And you have the flex balanced to the AHB2. Are you using the minidsp TRS to XLR converts or some others? Is it possible to get a screen shot of how you configured the minidsp crossovers and gains (not the DIRAC)?

Monty67

Monty,

What's the complete setup? What's your input? And you have the flex balanced to the AHB2. Are you using the minidsp TRS to XLR converts or some others? Is it possible to get a screen shot of how you configured the minidsp crossovers and gains (not the DIRAC)?

Hi complete setup is as follows

WIIM PRO VIA COAXIAL INTO MINIDSP
TV VIA OPTICAL INTO MINI DSP
MINIDSP FLEX BALANCED INTO AHB2

No i am not using the minidsp TRS to XLR converters. I am using other TRS to XLR converter.

As for a screenshot, its not possible to send how i configured the minidsp crossover and gains. One of the trouble shooting steps they provided was a total reset of the unit. So ive cleared all of that.

So current state is that there is zero adjustments to anything. My unit is essentially stock at the moment. And the problem remains.

The coles notes is that i have to turn the unit on and off many times to get sound. Sometimes that doesnt work, so i keep it off for 5 to 10 minutes and when i turn it on, i will get sound.

radix

Major Contributor
Hi complete setup is as follows

WIIM PRO VIA COAXIAL INTO MINIDSP
TV VIA OPTICAL INTO MINI DSP
MINIDSP FLEX BALANCED INTO AHB2

No i am not using the minidsp TRS to XLR converters. I am using other TRS to XLR converter.

As for a screenshot, its not possible to send how i configured the minidsp crossover and gains. One of the trouble shooting steps they provided was a total reset of the unit. So ive cleared all of that.

So current state is that there is zero adjustments to anything. My unit is essentially stock at the moment. And the problem remains.

The coles notes is that i have to turn the unit on and off many times to get sound. Sometimes that doesnt work, so i keep it off for 5 to 10 minutes and when i turn it on, i will get sound.
Ok, thanks for the info. I don't see what could be wrong. Assuming the TRS/XLR cables are not flaky, it seems like you got a bad unit.

I'd call SOLEN.CA, tell them the story, and ask that they exchange the unit rather than you have to send it to China and wait a month (or however long). They appear to have a 1-yr exchange/replace/repair policy for defective items.

Sorry you had a bad experience with the product.

Monty67

Ok, thanks for the info. I don't see what could be wrong. Assuming the TRS/XLR cables are not flaky, it seems like you got a bad unit.

I'd call SOLEN.CA, tell them the story, and ask that they exchange the unit rather than you have to send it to China and wait a month (or however long). They appear to have a 1-yr exchange/replace/repair policy for defective items.

Sorry you had a bad experience with the product.
So as per SOLEN.CA, i CC'D them on all emails with MINIDSP support. So they are aware of whats happening.......but now that i remember they were supposed to call me back on Friday but that came and went.

Yes i arrived at the same thought. Please exchange my unit with another one. I will call them on Monday.

Thanks for your help

Overseas

Major Contributor
Question from dumb category, really looking for this on medium term.

What specific Minidsp device do I need for a minimally running Dirac (Live, probably) in the simplest scenario:
for Room Correction
only stereo
no sub
no other functions needed
preferably digital in and out
RCA outs if the case, no balanced

Thanks

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Question from dumb category, really looking for this on medium term.

What specific Minidsp device do I need for a minimally running Dirac (Live, probably) in the simplest scenario:
for Room Correction
only stereo
no sub
no other functions needed
preferably digital in and out
RCA outs if the case, no balanced

Thanks
Cheapest is DDRC24 (2x4 HD with Dirac licence).
I moved from it to Flex as the 2x4HD I had with my gain structure at that time combined with sensitive speakers lead to some hiss in my teeters (only <1 meter for them and thus not a real issue).
But that was a corner case as most people didn't have this issue.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Cheapest is DDRC24 (2x4 HD with Dirac licence).
I moved from it to Flex as the 2x4HD I had with my gain structure at that time combined with sensitive speakers lead to some hiss in my teeters (only <1 meter for them and thus not a real issue).
But that was a corner case as most people didn't have this issue.
This one only has analog outs?

Top Bottom