• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 76.0%

• Total voters

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Ddrc24 is the same hardware device as 2x4hd with a Dirac license.
You can even buy a 2x4hd and later buy a Dirac license that once loaded on the device makes it a ddrc24.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any benefit to buying Dirac Live for PC vs buying the license through the MiniDSP site to run on the Flex? Would the (5800x3d CPU) PC afford higher quality processing vs running Dirac on the Flex?
My PC is really the source I use for my 2.1 setup. Currently the sub and mains are fed the same signal, LPF on the sub.
What is the point of the flex if you are running DSP on your PC?

Eldus

It would be to crossover the sub with the speakers and have independent delay control of the sub. (dayton sb1200)

Last edited:

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would be to crossover the sub with the speakers and have independent delay control of the sub. (dayton sb1200)

but you can do it in the PC via software with a multichannel DAC / audio interface ... i mean, PC + multichannel DAC is "equivalent" to Flex.
Always talking about 2.1 / 2.2 systems ... with HT you only have PC / multichannel Receiver - pre / power (no Minidsp)

Eldus

but you can do it in the PC via software with a multichannel DAC / audio interface ... i mean, PC + multichannel DAC is "equivalent" to Flex.
Always talking about 2.1 / 2.2 systems ... with HT you only have PC / multichannel Receiver - pre / power (no Minidsp)
Do you have an example of an interface with a unified volume knob across both sub outputs and mains?

mike70

Do you have an example of an interface with a unified volume knob across both sub outputs and mains?

if you mean a "hardware" volume ... yes ... even exists remote volume gadgets for PC (wireless).

61a9wzv6VnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

RosalieTheDog

While the functionality of this device is great, am I alone in finding the price somewhat problematic?

The TRS version is €750 (approx. 800 USD)
The unbalanced and digital is €650 (approx. 700 USD)
This is without a Umik (ca. €100), and of course without Dirac (200 USD)

Of course, compared with other Pre/pro units with room correction software, all of this is not much.
On the other hand, considering it only more or less brings to the living room / listening set-up functionality which any PC with the freeware REW can provide, the price seems a bit inflated. The "$475 for unbalanced and $550 for balanced" in the first post seems a much more reasonable pricing.

The TRS version would be great for my use case, but I find it difficult to justify the price. I also don't understand the price difference between the balanced and unbalanced versions; nor why the all-digital version without DAC costs the same as the unbalanced version.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

mike70

On the other hand, considering it only more or less brings to the living room / listening set-up functionality which any PC with the freeware REW can provide, the price seems a bit inflated.

which PC + REW does ADC / DAC, 2 to 4 channels, remote control and apply the DSP to analog / digital inputs?

or ... you mean .. Pc with decent cpu / memory + audio interface (with 4 channels output) + play software with DSP (not REW) + audio settings + remote control hardware / software, more settings, etc etc?

i don't agree with you, and let me say that i changed the PC for a Flex :) ... is much more convenient and not more expensive in any way

RosalieTheDog

which PC + REW does ADC / DAC, 2 to 4 channels, remote control and apply the DSP to analog / digital inputs?

or ... you mean .. Pc with decent cpu / memory + audio interface (with 4 channels output) + play software with DSP (not REW) + audio settings + remote control hardware / software, more settings, etc etc?

i don't agree with you, and let me say that i changed the PC for a Flex :) ... is much more convenient and not more expensive in any way

OK, I agree the Minidsp has extra functionality, but not for my use case using only digital sources and a stereo or 2.1 set-up. That leaves a remote, indeed.

Let me rephrase this. If I'd move my PC to the living room set-up, the only (not unimportant) functionality I'd lack in my use scenario compared with the digital minidsp is a remote. In my experience, I find that difficult to wrap my head around, in the same way I'd find it difficult to pay €700 for an audio or video streamer; they'd need to be €50 (CCA) - €100 (Wiim) for me to consider that.

mike70

how do you input / mix or select your digital inputs?
how do you send your 3 channels (2.1) to a stereo amp and sub?

i don't think you only use a "pc + rew" ... i think your pc + "other stuff" doesn't have a big difference with Flex in price.

... and i repeat ... also with the same convenience (easy to use / other features / remote ...)

Last edited:

Nonick

Whats the DAC chip used in MiniDSP Flex?
AKM, ESS.. ?

Are there any measurements for MiniDSP with Analog/Unbalanced RCA inputs and outputs?
Hopefully its not a significant performance decrease from balanced version.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a preamp with remote and several digital and analog inputs and it's a DAC.

RosalieTheDog

how do you input / mix or select your digital inputs?
how do you send your 3 channels (2.1) to a stereo amp and sub?

i don't think you only use a "pc + rew" ... i think your pc + "other stuff" doesn't have a big difference with Flex in price.

... and i repeat ... also with the same convenience (easy to use / other features / remote ...)
You are right. The crossover is a bit more difficult, although I guess not impossible with some tinkering. No digital inputs would be needed in that scenario, of course, since the source would be media or streaming apps on the PC itself.

mike70

You are right. The crossover is a bit more difficult, although I guess not impossible with some tinkering. No digital inputs would be needed in that scenario, of course, since the source would be media or streaming apps on the PC itself.
ok, if you only want one USB input, that's easy, but is only the first part of the answer.

You will need extra hardware (multichannel DAC) to take the processed signals to amplifiers.
check it out the cost of a multichannel DAC and tell me

so ... is more clear? many digital inputs with analog ADC, input selection (preamp), bluetooth LDAC (works very well, really impress me), DSP processing, multichannel DAC, remote control ... everything in one box ... at that price tag ... it isn't expensive in any way, IMHO.
All that hassle in a PC server was a pain in the *** for me, and at least at the same price.

will.b

Forum Donor
Whats the DAC chip used in MiniDSP Flex?
AKM, ESS.. ?

Are there any measurements for MiniDSP with Analog/Unbalanced RCA inputs and outputs?
Hopefully its not a significant performance decrease from balanced version.
Have a look here for device spec details: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/flex (specifications tab)
Amirm has measurements for analog in and out on page 1.
I wouldn't expect the unbalanced version to be significantly different.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DSP processor is stated, but DAC chip isnt.
Hopefully, no high pitch noise from unit while operating idle.
Thx

Michael

mike70

DSP processor is stated, but DAC chip isnt.
Hopefully, no high pitch noise from unit while operating idle.
Thx

People here in ASR is ruthless :) ... if that was a normal situation ... you'd know.
That's one thing i appreciate in this forum, you usually have the facts.

Reactions: MCH
Top Bottom