• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 76.0%

• Total voters

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
There's plenty of threads like that on the Internet. They just aren't aware they're doing it. I believe it's called "twitter".

i always managed to avoid twitter... hope i can do it with the second top to bottom button on the right of the RME remote from now on, too.....

flushed-face_1f633.gif

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The problem is it is very difficult to find (perhaps impossible) the cable needed ready made.

TRS is normally used for stereo applications, so any TRS to RCA has two RCA's on the end with one of the signal wires to each. I've yet to find anyone who manufactures a cable for balanced to unbalanced conversion.

For an input to the flex you can use a TS (two terminal) to RCA converter, but they are not suitable for the output since they short the cold signal to ground.

You'll probably either have to DIY or pay someone to make custom for you. I purchased a stereo RCA Cable, cut off one end, and soldered 2 TRS connectors to that end in order to minimise work.
Am I missing something? I'm using these Mogami RCA --> TRS cables from my Phono Preamp to Flex and it sounds great..

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor

mike70

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
That cables are TS and not TRS.
TRS plug have 2 "black" conductors.

So ... You prove it to me that RCA / TS works for the analog input :)
Yes, I didn't know that I was doing something wrong, but it appears to work fine, and like I said, sounds great.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure is possible to use rca / ts for the input? I already have one for my audio interface :)

Good hint to DIY only "one side" in a stereo rca cable.
I'm using it now myself. Works fine.

If you think about it TRS has T=Hot, R=Cold S = Ground.
If you plug a TS into that, then Tip = hot will still connect to Tip. Ring and Sleeve will be connected to ground. So on the input the pin of the RCA (Signal) will connect to the Hot (positive) terminal of the input. Both the R and S of the input will be connected to S (Ground) which is what you want for an input unbalanced to balanced.

Joffy1780

What are Dirac’s instructions?
Use the 0° calibration file and have the mic at ear height pointing between your L & R speakers.
Is this is a trick question? Seems like a trick question.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Use the 0° calibration file and have the mic at ear height pointing between your L & R speakers.
Is this is a trick question? Seems like a trick question.
Also seemed like a trap, to me.

Ajax

Forum Donor
2 or 4 additional analogue outputs (for 3- or 4-way active stereo) and this unit would be the perfect piece of equipment for my usage.
This is such a long thread, and I have not read it all, but in case it has not been mentioned the Flex 8 is now available. It will answer yours (and my) prayers.

We can only hope (assume) it has similar performance but I can't see why it wouldn't.

I intend to purchase the Flex 8 together with a 4 channel Buckeye Hypex amp and 2 active subs to drive an active Linkwitz LXmini speaker system = 6 channels.

Been my dream for a long time.

Joffy1780

The flex eight has been out for a while now, I'm sure there must be some measurements available, but as you say, I see no reason to assume it won't measure exactly as the 4 channel version.
The Flex HT is on the horizon, which offers HDMI in and support for multichannel PCM.

juliangst

Does anyone know if the HT Flex (or any Multichannel DAC) on MacOS will work with Netflix and Disney+?

Multichannel DACs do work with Apple TV and Apple Music but I didn’t get any surround sound from online streaming services.

Joffy1780

Have you checked the thread on the Flex HT?
Does anyone know if the HT Flex (or any Multichannel DAC) on MacOS will work with Netflix and Disney+?

Multichannel DACs do work with Apple TV and Apple Music but I didn’t get any surround sound from online streaming services.

juliangst

Have you checked the thread on the Flex HT?
Most of the talk is about the TV‘s and Apple TV’s output and Netflix apparently still requires an AVR to decode surround sound. MacOS will probably be similar.

So I‘m afraid that surround sound decoding won’t work with the Flex or any Multichannel DAC for that matter :(

Joffy1780

Most of the talk is about the TV‘s and Apple TV’s output and Netflix apparently still requires an AVR to decode surround sound. MacOS will probably be similar.

So I‘m afraid that surround sound decoding won’t work with the Flex or any Multichannel DAC for that matter :(
The Apple TV will output 7.1 PCM from Disney +, Netflix, Apple Music, VLC etc without need for an AVR. I posted screenshots of it doing so.

juliangst

The Apple TV will output 7.1 PCM from Disney +, Netflix, Apple Music, VLC etc without need for an AVR. I posted screenshots of it doing so.
Do you know if this is also possible through MacOS?
For the system I‘m planning to put together I need MacOS for Dirac Live Bass Control.
I think there are plugins that force Netflix to output surround but I’ll have to test this

Joffy1780

Do you know if this is also possible through MacOS?
For the system I‘m planning to put together I need MacOS for Dirac Live Bass Control.
I think there are plugins that force Netflix to output surround but I’ll have to test this
Sorry, I have no experience with Macs I'm afraid.

ehabheikal

What is the upside of a device like this managing my bass cross over rather than using the crossover of the subwoofer itself?

Joffy1780

What is the upside of a device like this managing my bass cross over rather than using the crossover of the subwoofer itself?
Further to what @Robocop has mentioned, the flex also allows you to EQ your sub(s) and L and R speakers. This should allow you to not only integrate your mains and sub better, but integrate them within your room better also.
You can also then tailor the sound to your liking with your own 'house curve'
This is so much more difficult, and in some cases impossible, with just the filters etc on your sub's amp plate.

ehabheikal

Further to what @Robocop has mentioned, the flex also allows you to EQ your sub(s) and L and R speakers. This should allow you to not only integrate your mains and sub better, but integrate them within your room better also.
You can also then tailor the sound to your liking with your own 'house curve'
This is so much more difficult, and in some cases impossible, with just the filters etc on your sub's amp plate.

I have room and speaker correction in Roon software that corrects for entire spectrum, if i have that will the flex add anything to me?

Top Bottom