• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Milind Kunchur Blind Cable Test

CinDyment

Balanced means equal impedance on each leg. One leg could be completely passive.

People often confuse balanced connection with differential connection. Many, but not all balanced connections in audio are also differential.

Chalk that up to another failure by Dr. Quack. I don't see any recognition of or test of the balanced or differential nature of the connection .... well he really didn't test any of the electronics end to end, so not surprising.

egellings

Major Contributor
Out of phase either by 180 degrees or any other angle (including in-phase or 0 degrees) is still a phase measurement.

CinDyment

Do not expect science from the AES. It is an industry interest group that serves mainly to provide a veneer of seemingly scientific legitimacy to their marketing claims. Maybe it wasn't always like that, but it's what it has become.

There just isn't that much stuff that needs to be published, so they allow a lot of leeway so "academics" can meet their publishing requirements to maintain tenure and their jobs.

mansr

Major Contributor
There just isn't that much stuff that needs to be published, so they allow a lot of leeway so "academics" can meet their publishing requirements to maintain tenure and their jobs.
There's lots of interesting stuff published in the IEEE journals.

archerious

:facepalm:

I'd rather not give that video a click, much less a watch through. Care to summarize?

I mean, obviously there are often aspects to "HiFi" cables that could be measurably different from cheap cables. The question is, do those differences correlate to anything that is actually audible?

archerious

I'd rather not give that video a click, much less a watch through. Care to summarize?

I mean, obviously there are often aspects to "HiFi" cables that could be measurably different from cheap cables. The question is, do those differences correlate to anything that is actually audible?
The summary is the scientist found differences in time delays between the single-ended cables. Jay pivots around but from what I see from the YouTube comments and scientist Milind N. Kunchur's study:

Paper only shows time delay differences at 1Mhz+, also reflections and noise at 1MHz+ If there is time delay at 200kHz it will show up as phase and gain deviation.
There isn't any time delay or phase diffrence at 20-20kHz.

The cables tested were three, a $500 cable, a $50 cable, and a $5 cable.

RenSong

I'd rather not watch any more YouTube shillery, thank you. Seen enough with his GRK cable videos.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The summary is the scientist found differences in time delays between the single-ended cables. Jay pivots around but from what I see from the YouTube comments and scientist Milind N. Kunchur's study:
Kunchur. About all I need to know. So far he has published papers about timing and gets lots of fundamentals wrong. Plus the video has all the usual wrong ideas. People who measure care only about measurements, people who think they hear cables are called crazy, and science just isn't measuring the right thing.

uh-huh.

mlee

Paper only shows time delay differences at 1Mhz+, also reflections and noise at 1MHz+ If there is time delay at 200kHz it will show up as phase and gain deviation.
There isn't any time delay or phase diffrence at 20-20kHz.
Also if the time delay and phase are equal in both cables for a stereo run (which they should be) then we won't hear it anyways.

archerious

Also if the time delay and phase are equal in both cables for a stereo run (which they should be) then we won't hear it anyways.
Exactly, I just couldn't help but express my sadness that someone that was once an objectivist has became this lost.

Jay was one of the few that exposed me to better class D options back in 2019/2020, how time changes a person.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am pretty durn sure that with a good high-resolution DMM using Kelvin (4-point) probes and a decent low-frequency VNA I can find measurable differences among cables. Audible differences, not so much.

Next?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Ahh, our old friend milind kunchur, I read a paper of his a few years ago on another forum and I think only Bob Stewart jumped to his defense.

Effect of cables, if anything is negligible, that's all I took from reading it.

paper here

edit : I see others have posted regarding his previous paper, is there a thread on here?

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I am pretty durn sure that with a good high-resolution DMM using Kelvin (4-point) probes and a decent low-frequency VNA I can find measurable differences among cables. Audible differences, not so much.

Next?
Listen to the inner voice Don, its calling you , the cold escape , the chilled relief, the liquid peacemaker ..

Ah , its Thursday, 60 hours into the working week , definitely beer .. possibly a kebab and some serious me time before the inevitable comprises the weekend brings ..

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Wow, cables measure different, get the Nobel ready for him... Show us the ABX test or shut up.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me guess. Only the expensive cables were worth owning.

Top Bottom