• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meizu Hifi USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Saidera

There has to be more dongles like these Meizus and Apples available across the world and not just online.
20210714_120524.jpg

Sharur

Does anyone know if this measures better from a MacBook Pro?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does anyone know if this measures better from a MacBook Pro?
1. The PC->DUT->AP analyzer config used in this review wasn't set up properly, which resulted in increased high frequency noise, which will not be present when you use the Meizu Hifi with headphones.
You can read more about this here and here. It is an artifact of the measurement equipment, not the dongle's actual noise.

2. Here's a collection of Meizu Hifi/Hifi Pro measurements done properly: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...b-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/post-646592

Sharur

Using ER2SE I'm getting much more volume out of my MacBook headphone jack than the meizu dongle. Anyone know why? I highly doubt my MacBook headphone jack outputs over 2 Vrms.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Using ER2SE I'm getting much more volume out of my MacBook headphone jack than the meizu dongle. Anyone know why? I highly doubt my MacBook headphone jack outputs over 2 Vrms.

You need to trick the meizu into high impedance mode.

3.5mm to 3.5mm empty extension or adapter onto the meizu, plug into phone then plug iem into extension once recognised

Sharur

You need to trick the meizu into high impedance mode.

3.5mm to 3.5mm empty extension or adapter onto the meizu, plug into phone then plug iem into extension once recognised
-_-

what a joke. I need ANOTHER adapter to make this thing work as advertised...

Sharur

Anyone know of any similarly priced usb-c dongles that don't need to be "tricked" into high power mode?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"dynamic self-adaptive adjustment" hmmm
sadly nowhere in this review was the dynamic self-adaptive adjustment "feature" mentioned

You realise this review was not, in fact, an advertisement?

Sharur

Can we all stop confusing "working as advertised" with "working as

You realise this review was not, in fact, an advertisement?
I mean, "dynamic adaptive adjustment" isn't the most self-explanatory thing in the world, is it? Your point is clear and I obviously missed the fine print. Nothing I can do about it besides return the product.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean, "dynamic adaptive adjustment" isn't the most self-explanatory thing in the world, is it?

No, it is not.

But there is a growing tendency on here to confuse not working how the reader expected with not working as advertised or intended by the manufacturer.

meowchin

You can read more about this here and here.
This might be off topic, but do you know where one can buy that Ugreen dongle? There seem to be some available on aliexpress, but they look slightly different and are packaged in a plastic pouch instead of a cardboard box, so I'm not sure if they're the same model.

Back on topic tho, should I expect similar performance issues when using this dongle as DAC with a mains-powered devices, like a PC or Raspberry Pi streamer? My amplifier is powered by a double insulated Class II power supply, so I expect there shouldn't be any problems with ground loops.

staticV3

Master Contributor
This might be off topic, but do you know where one can buy that Ugreen dongle? There seem to be some available on aliexpress, but they look slightly different and are packaged in a plastic pouch instead of a cardboard box, so I'm not sure if they're the same model.
here is the exact model that WolfX-700 tested: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=634513448049
Back on topic tho, should I expect similar performance issues when using this dongle as DAC with a mains-powered devices, like a PC or Raspberry Pi streamer?
What issues are you referring to exactly? The rising high frequency noise or the low output voltage?

Top Bottom