• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

pii75

Yes I know, I have the non pro version and I can confirm it is not a big issue, but if now I could have a perfect source for the same price, I would buy a new one...

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Gents, I have bought this finally. HiRes of any sampling rate on BubbleUPnP stutters where as 16/44.1 plays fine. Hi-Fi Cast plays HiRes with no issues but it doesn't support streaming services. Qobuz app doesn't have stutter issues with HiRes either but limits the sampling rate to 48 kHz as it doesn't support bit perfect playback.

What apps are you using? Thanks!

scherbakov_al

I bought Meizu Hi-Fi Pro today. I also encountered unpleasant noise from the cellular network. This is especially audible when I set the playback volume to a minimum. I have a Xiaomi Mi 8 light phone. Headphones Sennheiser ie40 (20 Ohms) and Beyerdynamic DT990Pro (250 Ohms). Noise is heard only when using a 4G network and only in Sennheysers. If you force 3G, there is no noise. If I use a Beyerdynamic speaker and 4G, there is no noise. Noise only when using Synchasers and 4G network.

I am impressed by the sound. Everything is very cool! But this is noise from the network .. I do not know what to do.
I'm sad(

Last edited:

Interference

Hi all, anybody who has this device could kindly check if the output ground is in continuity with the USB ground?

th0m

I recieved my Pro yesterday and so far I'm very pleased. My old Cyrus Soundkey was very noisey, picking up all sorts of interference, but this has so far been dead quiet and drives my iem's perfectly.

gorthol

Problem here. I received mine's yesterday. It works perfectly on Android, Windows and Linux, but on my work's macbook pro with Catalina doesn't. If I open sound settings it shows in input (as a mic) but doesn't in output. In "audio midi setup" there are two related devices, "Meizu HiFi DAC Headphone Amplifier PRO 1" with 0 inputs and 0 outputs and "Meizu HiFi DAC Headphone Amplifier PRO 2" with 1 input and 0 outputs. I've tried restarting with it connected but it's the same.

Does anybody knows how to solve this?

rG-tom

Hi all,

I'm considering getting this for a specific reason: my PC's onboard microphone input is terrible. I have a V-Moda Boom Pro, which is a microphone that also feeds the headphones (it has a 4 pole jack at one end, and then a stereo jack at the other). This is into a set of DT770 Pro 80ohms with a removable cable mod. The microphone quality is exceptional even just straight into my MacBook Pro 2013, so it's not a technically demanding microphone.

Using a splitter, if I have the microphone going into an external soundcard, and the headphone side of the splitter into another source (ie my FiiO E17), I end up with ground loop issues. So, I need something that can drive DT770s ok (doesn't need to be absolutely amazing), but also has a really clean microphone input. I've gravitated to USB-C dongles as they remove the need for the splitter completely, and most other DACs don't have anything to pass an input back. I can't find any real material on USB soundcards with integrated headphone amps either. Most of them seem cheap and cheerful, or then jump up into £££

1) Using with windows 10, can anyone comment on how clean the microphone input is on the Meizu Pro?
2) Will this be fine and pleasant enough with DT770 Pros?
3) Are there any particular issues with this when used with a PC? I've read a few issues with cellular noise, but given I'm planning to use this with a PC, should I be fine?
4) Are there any other obvious choices, around the £30-40 price point? Also, any good UK sources to buy it? Struggling to find it for sale!

Thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
1) Using with windows 10, can anyone comment on how clean the microphone input is on the Meizu Pro?
Unless someone corrects me, I don't think you can plug a headphone+mic and expect the mic to work on the meizu, no.
For that you'd need a SB G6 or Schiit Hel which has a dedicated mic input.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless someone corrects me, I don't think you can plug a headphone+mic and expect the mic to work on the meizu, no.

Might get a black mark for linking to Headfi, and its obviously just a user review not manufacturer spec, but seems to suggest will take mic and phones?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/meizu-hifi-pro.24225/

But I have never ever tried to use a mic with anything.

But in the back of my mind I thought I recalled reading the non pro taking a mic and the pro not doing so.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gents, I have bought this finally. HiRes of any sampling rate on BubbleUPnP stutters where as 16/44.1 plays fine. Hi-Fi Cast plays HiRes with no issues but it doesn't support streaming services. Qobuz app doesn't have stutter issues with HiRes either but limits the sampling rate to 48 kHz as it doesn't support bit perfect playback.

What apps are you using? Thanks!

For Android? USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP)- free trial and around $5 paid. Brilliant app. Bit perfect, supports MQA, Tidal and lossless. Overcomes Android volume limits and resampling.

rG-tom

Everything i can find says it does support combined headphone/microphone headsets (ie 4-pole 3.5mm)? The product page has clunky wording around it not having its own microphone but supporting "supports most of wire -controlled earbud for calling", and the photo just above shows a 4-pole 3.5mm jack.

https://www.meizu.com/en/accessory/hifipro.html

Also the post above mine says that it's showing up as an input device on windows 10 too.

Be great if anyone here that has one can check? Even the standard buds that come with a phone will show if it does indeed pass the microphone through on a 4-pole headset?

Thanks!

rG-tom

Might get a black mark for linking to Headfi, and its obviously just a user review not manufacturer spec, but seems to suggest will take mic and phones?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/meizu-hifi-pro.24225/

But I have never ever tried to use a mic with anything.

But in the back of my mind I thought I recalled reading the non pro taking a mic and the pro not doing so.

Thanks Jimbo. Don't suppose you have a random headset lying around from perhaps a phone purchase that you could try this with?

The Sonata HD supports microphone in and the Sonata HD Pro doesn't, wonder if that's where you're getting it from?

EDIT:

https://hifigo.com/blogs/review/meizu-hifi-pro-dac-amplifier-teardown-hifigo

"When the sleeve is removed from the 3.5mm connector, three metal shrapnel pieces are inside, allowing the four-piece headset to use a microphone and wire control. "

Seems like it physically does, but again no actual comments on if it works.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Jimbo. Don't suppose you have a random headset lying around from perhaps a phone purchase that you could try this with?

The Sonata HD supports microphone in and the Sonata HD Pro doesn't, wonder if that's where you're getting it from?

EDIT:

https://hifigo.com/blogs/review/meizu-hifi-pro-dac-amplifier-teardown-hifigo

"When the sleeve is removed from the 3.5mm connector, three metal shrapnel pieces are inside, allowing the four-piece headset to use a microphone and wire control. "

Seems like it physically does, but again no actual comments on if it works.

Now, I do. But old wired apple ones with the in line mic. FWIW , the mic doesnt work through the meizu on a phone call. I assume thats the meizu not an incompatibility with Apple stuff. the buds have a 4 pole 3.5mm.

I guess they mean it will play music/ sound out of the meizu even if you plug a 4 pole in. But then doesnt everything?!

rG-tom

Now, I do. But old wired apple ones with the in line mic. FWIW , the mic doesnt work through the meizu on a phone call. I assume thats the meizu not an incompatibility with Apple stuff. the buds have a 4 pole 3.5mm.

I guess they mean it will play music/ sound out of the meizu even if you plug a 4 pole in. But then doesnt everything?!

Thanks for checking. how about when connected to a PC, does it show as an audio input device and work on that? That would rule out the apple incompatibility concern.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for checking. how about when connected to a PC, does it show as an audio input device and work on that? That would rule out the apple incompatibility concern.
I'll try in a bit

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yeah, shows as input device when plugged into windows 10. The little test bar shows signal coming in too.

rG-tom

Yeah, shows as input device when plugged into windows 10. The little test bar shows signal coming in too.
Great news!

Now, how do I get one in the UK without waiting 2 months for it to come from China for double the price it should be....

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Great news!

Now, how do I get one in the UK without waiting 2 months for it to come from China for double the price it should be....
Ali express, from the meizu store there. Free postage. I'm UK too. Cost either 35 or 45 all done (on offer for one). Took week or 2 delivery

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

rG-tom

Thanks! It's saying 20-40 days for shipping, I feel thoroughly spoilt by Amazon, used to getting stuff in hours or days not months!

Don't suppose you've tried a SoundblasterX G1 or G6 have you? Be interesting to see how comparable they are!

Thanks,

Top Bottom