• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

amanieux

Try with HiBy Music, Sony should just work fine.
i did try , all bit direct audio app work but at low volume, with my 43 ohms iem i am on 90% on my phone internal dac and 75% on meizu hifi pro, no idea why meizu power is so low.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
does meizu hifi pro have a power saving mode ( activated by default) not powering the ti opa1622 amp to save battery life and only relying on the CS43131 dac output of 2x30mW ? i notice that to get similar normal sound level on my 43 ohms iem in am at 90% in my internal phone dac (sony xz premium) and 75% on the meizu pro. as i believe my phone dac is no more than 20mW of power so i really don't understand why i get so little power out of the meizu hifi pro. has someone any idea of what is happening ? thanks.
Just so I understand, your volume slider is at 75% and you get good volume on 43ohm iem? Sounds about right. All the power is in the last 25%. Don't worry about the maths if you can get it loud enough

amanieux

Just so I understand, your volume slider is at 75% and you get good volume on 43ohm iem? Sounds about right. All the power is in the last 25%. Don't worry about the maths if you can get it loud enough
sure in the end, the important thing is to get loud enough but if i can choose between being at 25% volume (playing music in neutron player) and being at 75% (neutron player uninstalled) for the same listening loudness which one is preferable ? thanks

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
sure in the end, the important thing is to get loud enough but if i can choose between being at 25% volume (playing music in neutron player) and being at 75% (neutron player uninstalled) for the same listening loudness which one is preferable ? thanks
It's the same regarding output power; one uses logometric and other linear control preferable is linear because you have better control.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Plain linear volume control is a best one for many reasons loudness aside.
If I want to use IEMs (Blon bl03) with the Meizu Pro on Windows, then I can choose between 1, 2, 3, and 4 out of 100. 5/100 is already too loud.
A linear slider is stupid.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If I want to use IEMs (Blon bl03) with the Meizu Pro on Windows, then I can choose between 1, 2, 3, and 4 out of 100. 5/100 is already too loud.
A linear slider is stupid.
You drive them with 1.5~2 mW? I think they need at least 5~6 tho i dont own them.
I drive Aurvanu Air (same impedance & LPS) with 15~20 (depending on dynamic range of recording) & they can take up to 30 mW.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Meizu Pro loaded with 32Ω has been measured at:
87mW: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/
100mW: https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/94991395
31mW: https://www.0db.co.kr/index.php?mid=REVIEW_0DB&category=184&document_srl=1005449

If the Windows slider is indeed linear, then that would mean than I'm driving the BL-03 with anywhere between 1.12 and 4mW, though I really can't confirm that as I lack the equipment and know-how.

Btw, the 100mW review confirms that both versions will limit their maximum VRMS based on the load.

amanieux

It's the same regarding output power; one uses logometric and other linear control preferable is linear because you have better control.
not sure about that when neutron is installed if i get above 60% it get overbearingly loud but when neutron is not installed i can raise from 75% to 100% it get really loud but bearable.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The Meizu Pro loaded with 32Ω has been measured at:
87mW: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/
100mW: https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/94991395
31mW: https://www.0db.co.kr/index.php?mid=REVIEW_0DB&category=184&document_srl=1005449

If the Windows slider is indeed linear, then that would mean than I'm driving the BL-03 with anywhere between 1.12 and 4mW, though I really can't confirm that as I lack the equipment and know-how.

Btw, the 100mW review confirms that both versions will limit their maximum VRMS based on the load.
OK my bad 3.5~4.4 mW (3~4%) it still looks a little low but as it suits you the best.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
not sure about that when neutron is installed if i get above 60% it get overbearingly loud but when neutron is not installed i can raise from 75% to 100% it get really loud but bearable.
I don't really know, don't have such problems. For those earphones ideal would be in full swing around 40 to 60% of Meizus output power. How does that go for you with Windows volume slider?

amanieux

I don't really know, don't have such problems. For those earphones ideal would be in full swing around 40 to 60% of Meizus output power. How does that go for you with Windows volume slider?
on windows it was about 50% so the only moment i got high gain mode was in neutron free eval that lasted 5 days (without cable hack) were my volume never exceeded 25% to get to a normal listening level. so something can be done at the software level to have full power or correct accces to volume android api, i wrote meizu to ask if they could share a audio utility sofware or android system settings but they never answered, no tech support meizu is not a company i would recommend.

gregorpl

Can anyone tell me how the Meizu Hifi Pro DAC works with the Redmi Note 8 Pro phone? I have Redmi Note 8 Pro and I am not satisfied with the sound quality of this phone from the headphone output.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Can anyone tell me how the Meizu Hifi Pro DAC works with the Redmi Note 8 Pro phone? I have Redmi Note 8 Pro and I am not satisfied with the sound quality of this phone from the headphone output.
Think it's better for you to ask that question on MIUI forums. My old Mi Max works with my portable DAC without any problems.

Stipes90

The Meizu Pro is more powerful at 32ohm than your AP60II. The Hidizs does 70mW while it manages 87mW.
While the Meizu sounds very natural (and in that regard better than the Hidizs S8), its soundstage is a bit narrow.
The best thumb drive DAC at the moment is the 9038S, which not only fixes the soundstage but also adds a lot of detail/resolution on top. The 9038S can only be used with balanced headphones/IEMs and the newest version (G3) is currently being tested and should be released in a few weeks. There is also a 3.5mm version in the works (9038D) for use with normal headphones, but it will take a few months to be finalized.
The S will cost $80-85, the D will probably cost $95-100.

Is the Meizu pro good for pc gaming with my hd58x? Or would a desktop dac/amp be better?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the Meizu pro good for pc gaming with my hd58x? Or would a desktop dac/amp be better?
OK, so you've mixed up several questions there.

I'll let you answer the first yourself. Is the HD58x good for gaming. You have them, you tell us.

Let's assume the 58x is sufficiently similar to the HD 650, so per the review.. "

Switching to Sennheiser HD-650 provided ample dynamic range, detail and fidelity with no hint of distortion. Hard to imagine this level of performance was coming out of this little dongle."

As far as "better" than a dac /amp combo or separates, depends entirely on the kit you might be referring to. Ignore the dac part, as long as competent, not an issue. So what amp might you be looking at?

Stipes90

OK, so you've mixed up several questions there.

I'll let you answer the first yourself. Is the HD58x good for gaming. You have them, you tell us.

Let's assume the 58x is sufficiently similar to the HD 650, so per the review.. "

Switching to Sennheiser HD-650 provided ample dynamic range, detail and fidelity with no hint of distortion. Hard to imagine this level of performance was coming out of this little dongle."

As far as "better" than a dac /amp combo or separates, depends entirely on the kit you might be referring to. Ignore the dac part, as long as competent, not an issue. So what amp might you be looking at?

I was eyeballing the Fiio E10K and K3 in particular. Will either of these 2 offer any improvement in sound quality as opposed to the meizu pro?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was eyeballing the Fiio E10K and K3 in particular. Will either of these 2 offer any improvement in sound quality as opposed to the meizu pro?
Unless anyone else has those amps to vouch for with those cans, I would personally get the Meizu pro (can be had for £40 or so from Ali) and see. Just out of interest, what are you currently using to game on the 58X? Thats the real question- will anything reasonably priced be better than current kit? Ive learnt not to expect miracles in improvement if nothing fundamentally wrong in first place.

Stipes90

Unless anyone else has those amps to vouch for with those cans, I would personally get the Meizu pro (can be had for £40 or so from Ali) and see. Just out of interest, what are you currently using to game on the 58X? Thats the real question- will anything reasonably priced be better than current kit? Ive learnt not to expect miracles in improvement if nothing fundamentally wrong in first place.

I'm just using the onboard audio on my motherboard which has a Realtek ALC887 codec. On max windows volume, the phones are kinda loud, not that loud though. Hoping the meizu pro is a decent upgrade.

Top Bottom