• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

more power = more bass ? apple dongle (31mw) vs moondrop dawn 4.4 (230mW) on letshuoer s12 planar iem

amanieux

to tackle the idea that if you feed more power you'd get more bass and better dynamics i graphed two dongle dac of very different power outputs.

audio recording of pink noise in the s12 planar iem fed by these 2 dongles :
* apple dongle (EU version) 31mW on it's se 3.5mm plug
* moondrop dawn 4.4 230mW on it's balanced 4.4mm plug

the graph looks the same though i'd swear i could hear more bass on the dawn 4.4, so it must be placebo as the graph don't show extra energy in the bass

another audio myth that don't show on measurements ;)

Attachments

• dawn 4.4 1.jpg
    dawn 4.4 1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 182
  • apple dongle 1.jpg
    apple dongle 1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 181

doalt

The left graph does look 1db higher at 280hz, and has more energy below 400hz. I wouldn't be surprised if the difference was audible in a A/B comparison.

Although pink noise may not be accurate enough to reveal 1db or less diff.

OP
A

amanieux

The left graph does look 1db higher at 280hz, and has more energy below 400hz. I wouldn't be surprised if the difference was audible in a A/B comparison.

Although pink noise may not be accurate enough to reveal 1db or less diff.
true , it is 1db higher around 300hz

Top Bottom