• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Sonore microRendu Streamer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It's recommend( Ifi power supply) at best by ignorance but more likely profit margin and marketing reasons are behind it!

Audiophiles are suffering under the weight of cynical people who like politicians know if you repeat a lie often enough and with conviction it becomes accepted truth...

It's exploitation of the highest and most dishonourable nature, I applaud amir for the little bit he is doing in order to empower folks with some basic knowledge.

I can assure you though amir would of been happy to see the power supply lower the noise floor and just as happy to see the device work as advertised... It's just not what the test results say!

We back effective design! And with the same vigour seek to shed light on those that aren't.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Judging by Amir's results I presume that Swenson still hasn't splashed out on any measuring equipment.
Keith.

Last edited by a moderator:

firedog

Maybe you would care to correct firedogs bogus assumption regarding point (d) of his statement in that thread. Clearly it's misinterpreting the evidence.

If I misunderstood the graph I'll correct it myself.
I can think of lots of reasons (size, simplicity, the included software packages/playback endpoints, etc) that a person would prefer to use an mR with a good PS over their laptop and it's PS. In the end, it's a mini computer acting as an ethernet to USB renderer.
Still think a thorough test would also check the mR in other modes.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If I misunderstood the graph I'll correct it myself.
I can think of lots of reasons (size, simplicity, the included software packages/playback endpoints, etc) that a person would prefer to use an mR with a good PS over their laptop and it's PS. In the end, it's a mini computer acting as an ethernet to USB renderer.
Still think a thorough test would also check the mR in other modes.
Yea I don't disagree with you on that point, needs to be tested in the mode you describe.

Though sold as recommended with the Ifi ( aptly named as that means dodgy over here lol) it clearly adds noise so any positive effect it might ( probably won't) have in other 'modes' may well be undermined.

I welcome your input and it's tone also, thanks for posting!

firedog

No. The complaints need to be addressed to Sonore which recommends the iFi power supply:

"RECOMMENDED POWER SUPPLIES
iFi iPower power supply - 9VDC"

And the only one they sell:

View attachment 2134

Yet this combination serves to add up to 30 db of power supply noise to the DAC. This was the precise reason I bought this supply so that there would be no question of why I used the XYZ supply. I used what they say is recommended for it yet it does not back their statements of fidelity.

They should confirm my results and remove this recommendation. And show data for the rest. It shouldn't be our job to go and buy/test these supplies on their behalf.

Not accurate. The have a list of 10 power supplies they recommend. The iFi is the least expensive. At the moment, they sell the iFi and their own (very expensive) PS for the mR. For some reason it is sold on a different page on the web site.
I do agree they should see if they can confirm your results with the iFi PS, and if they do, they should stop recommending it. But I don't see how they are different than the hundreds of other vendors selling it and just reprinting what the iFi people claim for their PS. I think it would make more sense to post the results on the iFi thread over at CA and see what the reaction is. Maybe I will do this myself.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Still best case scenario with ultra power supply is its ineffective in its current tested parameters at least at lowering the noise floor.

It should carry a warning about being used with certain PS, I find the current way its marketed and being sold by some vendors is verging on exploitative and dishonest.

All my opinion...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Quite ifi is iffy and 'sponsorship ' equates to wave goodbye to any last shred of integrity.
Keith.

John Kenny

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, there is a clear difference between the power supplies, how audible that is is another matter.

It's my belief JK was being some what Disingenuous ...
No, I wasn't being disingenuous - I was just wondering if Amir's HP laptop was powered with his bench PS would measurements show the same drop in "noise floor"?
To my mind, Fitz stated that PS powering computers had importance in computer audio & I just wondered had he seen any measurements beside the mR showing improvements?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
No, I wasn't being disingenuous - I was just wondering if Amir's HP laptop was powered with his bench PS would measurements show the same drop in "noise floor"?
To my mind, Fitz stated that PS powering computers had importance in computer audio & I just wondered had he seen any measurements beside the mR showing improvements?
Have you?

Your involved in better audio in the digital realm I think? Do you have any measurements that will add to the debate?

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
That's not fair, given judicial use of PS it can function without harm ;)
That's true. And it apparently also delivers one helluva plecebo effect to some folks:

"The mR was custom designed and built to deliver USB audio in the most pristine way possible, and it accomplishes this goal magnificently. . .I'm getting the best sound I've ever heard in my house. . .The ultra low noise bespoke design of this unit, a micro computer designed for audio only, has lead to some amazing listening experiences for me over the last several weeks."
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/705-sonore-microrendu-review-part-2/

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I guess that depends on what you call "noise." Given that straight out of Amir's laptop, all the noise is at about -120dB, I think any measured improvement you'd get from an audiophile power supply would only create an improvement in the audiophile nervosa threshold, but so many audiophile products seem to be developed and brought to market unencumbered by measurements that it's a moot point.

Tim

Top Bottom