• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Sonore microRendu Streamer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ah, I see you addressed this already & even made an inadvertently amusing comment on this thread, calling it a "hole thread" :)
No nothing inadvertent about that in fact. These things can be purely academic, arguing about the wettest water... It can act as a black hole if you like, that was my point albeit hidden!

You found it, though thought it a mistake... What would we do without you John? :D

John Kenny

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have seem much in the way of disingenuous posting from you'll this forum in the past but no objective data.. I take your recent contributions in good faith.

Maybe you would like to conduct your own measured objective investigation and bring the relevant data points here to promote the debate?
When I have relevant measurements to show, I will present them - I see no point in producing irrelevant measurements - I do see a point in making suggestions to tease out what might be at the bottom of the differences shown in the measurements, however.

In the meantime, I hope you allow me to comment on this thread as all others are allowed to do without being accused of being disingenuous - an accusation I see no evidence for.

Last edited:

John Kenny

It's merely a interesting point, if the noise is of a certain nature does this effect what's traditionally accepted as audible...

Bloody interesting imo.
Yes, I agree & it's a question that I have been trying to study in ASA (auditory scene analysis) as I believe that we process & extract patterns from the data stream presented by our auditory & visual senses. I know Tim would counter that the signals have to be above the threshold of audibility for this pattern extraction but first we have to ask, how are we judging "thresholds of audibility"? With tones & sounds which don't contain repeating patterns & secondly, is audibility only what is consciously recognised or is there a deeper, non-conscious awareness that makes it's way into conscious perception as "naturalness", "believability" - some would call these impressions or preferences but it is food for thought.

Phelonious Ponk

When I have relevant measurements to show, I will present them - I see no point in producing irrelevant measurements - especially when suggestions to tease out what might be at the bottom of the differences . In the meantime, I hope you allow me to comment on this thread as all others are allowed to do without them being accused of being disingenuous - an accusation I see no evidence for.

Another set of measurements - a different operator, different tools, a different system - would not only be relevant, it would be the next logical step. You would be using your gear and skills to advance the science and do a great service for the community, here and at CA.

Tim

John Kenny

No nothing inadvertent about that in fact. These things can be purely academic, arguing about the wettest water... It can act as a black hole if you like, that was my point albeit hidden!

You found it, though thought it a mistake... What would we do without you John? :D
Ah, thanks! Do I get a gold star & moved out of the "bold boys" section of the classroom? :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We need useful, relevant points to advance understanding.. All are welcome. We are a forum build on objective argument so if you are to engage data points with a contrary view point please bring data to support your... Theories.

Cynicism and posturing bring little.

John Kenny

Another set of measurements - a different operator, different tools, a different system - would not only be relevant, it would be the next logical step. You would be using your gear and skills to advance the science and do a great service for the community, here and at CA.

Tim
Tim, my measurements so far have shown me that the working principles behind the Regen & microRendu are not shown in simplistic measurements & I have no alternative measurements that would help or be of any great service to anybody. Yet, I know that the Regen itself improves the sound & greatly improves the sound when powered differently because I have experimented with it & I & others have heard the effects. Are they measurable? Not in any way that I have tried to measure them.

Last edited:

John Kenny

We need useful, relevant points to advance understanding.. All are welcome. We are a forum build on objective argument so if you are to engage data points with a contrary view point please bring data to support your... Theories.

Cynicism and posturing bring little.
Sorry? We can only ask questions or suggest alternative avenues of measurement if we have data to bring to the discussion?
Thom, it seems that you are just levelling this at me to make a point - the questioning of the 8dB difference in level between with/without mR did not need a datapoint, did it?
I have given my reasons for my thoughts on why this is a ground loop & the data points were provided by Amir in his graph - his comments on which I quoted.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ah, thanks! Do I get a gold star & moved out of the "bold boys" section of the classroom? :)
Unfortunately you both recognised me but also insulted and sold me short :D You remain my indulgence John, your wit though barely registering above common base standard is at times worthy of my attention.. Hey a dead clocks right twice a day!...

firedog

Sponsored?

We will never allow such a potentially ethically compromised situation to occur on the ASR.

Sorry if I misunderstood your meaning of 'sponsored' but I don't think I did ..

Thanks again for your input I really appreciate it!:)

CA has a "sponsored" section - vendors pay to have their own forum and can make product announcements and do a bit of flogging of their stuff. It's very clearly labelled as such. Mostly it gets used for support to users. There's also quite a bit of criticism and negative stuff posted there - people complaining about bad service.
Outside of that section the site doesn't allow anyone in the business to push their own product or denigrate others product. They are allowed to answer a direct question about their product if asked by a user.
So I don't find it compromises the site.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Sorry? We can only ask questions or suggest alternative avenues of measurement if we have data to bring to the discussion?
Thom, it seems that you are just levelling this at me to make a point - the questioning of the 8dB difference in level between with/without mR did not need a datapoint, did it?
I have given my reasons for my thoughts on why this is a ground loop & the data points were provided by Amir in his graph - his comments on which I quoted.
No John, that's not the case.

Indeed scrutiny is important! I did say that!! But if 'argument' And defiant objection is to be lodged counter data would be nice...

Its a ambition... A hope.. And certainly not directed at you.

firedog

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
image.png
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?43277-iFi-iPower-for-Raspberry-PI&p=737514#post737514

Some different measurements of power supplies, including the iFi. Note: by a vendor who makes his own and also sells iFi.
Is this what you are talking about? Even with a much less resolving test setup, this confirms Amir's measurement of the ifi PSU.

Last edited:

cjf

One thing I find interesting and bewildering at the same time is that why are these Audio related companies not buying, begging , borrowing or stealing the necessary equipment needed to test their wares, from end to end, before releasing their product and sales pitch to the masses? I mean for fucks sake man, this should be common sense! Unless of course the goal all along is to just make a quick buck and disappear into the darkness before anyone finds out o_O

On the other hand, if these companies have any plans to stick around a while in the land of audiophile madness they need to be doing their due diligence with FULLY testing their product and catering their sales pitch to the results of those tests. If the tests show no worthwhile results then they need to pick up their ball and head home and find a new line of work. Their are plenty of Joe Shmoe's on the Internet these days with free time, some extra money and the knowledge needed of how to use a measuring probe and interpret the results which can easily stir up a smear campaign and make a company and a product look real bad by calling its advertising bluff.

I often see the excuse thrown around that these companies don't do testing because of the cost involved with said equipment. I've also seen the excuse used that they lack the knowledge of how to test the equipment properly. Well, I'm calling Bullshit on both excuses. For the cost of just a few of the units they are selling they could hire a professional to do it for them. As far as not having the skills to use the testing equipment, well four letters come to mind here....RTFM!

Phelonious Ponk

Tim, my measurements so far have shown me that the working principles behind the Regen & microRendu are not shown in simplistic measurements & I have no alternative measurements that would help or be of any great service to anybody. Yet, I know that the Regen itself improves the sound & greatly improves the sound when powered differently because I have experimented with it & I & others have heard the effects. Are they measurable? Not in any way that I have tried to measure them.

Interesting. What kinds of measurements have you tried? And did you first try the more obvious, simplistic measurements? What were your results?

Tim

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
One thing I find interesting and bewildering at the same time is that why are these Audio related companies not buying, begging , borrowing or stealing the necessary equipment needed to test their wares, from end to end, before releasing their product and sales pitch to the masses? I mean for fucks sake man, this should be common sense! Unless of course the goal all along is to just make a quick buck and disappear into the darkness before anyone finds out o_O

On the other hand, if these companies have any plans to stick around a while in the land of audiophile madness they need to be doing their due diligence with FULLY testing their product and catering their sales pitch to the results of those tests. If the tests show no worthwhile results then they need to pick up their ball and head home and find a new line of work. Their are plenty of Joe Shmoe's on the Internet these days with free time, some extra money and the knowledge needed of how to use a measuring probe and interpret the results which can easily stir up a smear campaign and make a company and a product look real bad by calling its advertising bluff.

I often see the excuse thrown around that these companies don't do testing because of the cost involved with said equipment. I've also seen the excuse used that they lack the knowledge of how to test the equipment properly. Well, I'm calling Bullshit on both excuses. For the cost of just a few of the units they are selling they could hire a professional to do it for them. As far as not having the skills to use the testing equipment, well four letters come to mind here....RTFM!
It's almost like they drink their own kool aid , see a way of making money and get lost in the adulation of delusional audiophiles that are also over invested in the egotistical imagination of the self..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you suggesting that fluctuations in noise below -120dB have an audible significance? I'm not being argumentative, just wondering what your point is?
It is not -120 db with the iFi Power supply. It rises to almost -90 dbFS:

index.php

Still, I doubt that it is audible but just want to make sure we work from the same data. :)

firedog

I think this thread is a bit overly negative.

We've got one measurement from Amir. We also see that his first measurements were based on a faulty setup. He went ahead and published them and speculated on their meaning - even though he seemed to sense that they didn't make sense.
I don't think his intentions were malevolent, but his rush to judgement does throw doubt in about his measurements and his objectivity. Just as much as you guys seem to assume MUST apply over at CA because they have a "sponsored" section.
I'd like to see one or two measurements from elsewhere confirming Amir's results before I accept them as "true"; including running the mR in other modes.

I've also used a SOtM SMS-100 which is functionally similar to the mRendu, but doesn't make all sorts of claims to be low noise, etc.

My personal experience in USB based computer audio is that I get the best sound in a "2 PC" setup: Server>ethernet to 2nd PC or renderer>USB to DAC. I can't measure the difference, I just know what I hear. It's possible I'm not hearing a true improvement this way, only some sort of different noise signature that I find pleasing. In the end I don't really care. If I like how it sounds, I'm happy.

A while back I tried using HQP to upsample, modulate, and filter my playback and found that in both PCM and DSD playback I prefered the sound with some of these proprietary filters. I then found that using the 2 PC setup with a second device as a remote HQP renderer (called an NAA - for "network audio...") sounded slightly better to me.

I've done the "2 PC" setup with the playback/renderer device as a standard PC, a laptop, the SMS-100, and yes, the microRendu. The SMS-100 sounded slightly better to me than when using a full fledged PC or laptop. It sounded distinctly better when I used a high end PS with it instead of a standard wall wart. The PS cost more than double the price of the SMS-100. Also the SMS-100 is small, fanless and basically plug 'n'play. It just works.

I bought the microRendu b/c it gave me a few upgrades over the SMS-100: ability to interface with Roon, ability to playback hi-res above 24/192 if I want, as well as 2X and higher DSD - if I want to experiment with upsampling to these high rates with HQP. It also just works a bit better: boots up faster, etc.

I've compared playback with the mRendu to playback over USB directly from my server to my DAC's USB. They definitely sound different. I like how the mRendu sounds better; someone else might prefer the sound without the the mRendu in the chain. I don't know why they sound different, and no snide remarks are called for here. Would I prefer that I had measurements? Sure. But I'm enjoying the sound and features the mRendu offers. I will probably get a upgraded PS for it and see how that affects the outcome.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Thanks for the clarification, Amir. Lovely graph, I'd add. The black background really makes the red and yellow pop.

Tim

firedog

View attachment 2135
Is this what you are talking about? Even with a much less resolving test setup, this confirms Amir's measurement of the ifi PSU.
Yes, that's it. He also measured several other PSes. I just posted the link as an FYI. I'm not trying editorialize.

Top Bottom