• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Real measurements of iFi ipower 9V

Tangband

Major Contributor
Objective measurements of the iFi ipower products seems hard to find .

I found a really interesting review with many tested power supplies and real measurements , here :

It seems that the iFi ipower is really good - Comments on that ?

IMG_4440.jpeg
IMG_4442.jpeg

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Comments on that ?
Sorry, I read this then just scanned the rest...
I have been an audiophile for several years, in recent years found that the role of power in the device is very important, good power will take the equipment to another level, the background is darker, higher contrast; like petrol in cars, regular unleaded vs. super unleaded.
After an afternoon of AB testing, AB and kept drinking mountain tea, my mind has been changed. With the M2TECH EVO DAC, iFi iPower was better than the TeraDak LPS, darkerk background, the details are more clear, less background noise, why is this so? we all say that SMPS can’t be any good?
Supposedly AB "testing", yet not clear of the setup, whether blind... and where are these AB "test" results?

JSmith

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
Sorry, I read this then just scanned the rest...

Supposedly AB "testing", yet not clear of the setup, whether blind... and where are these AB "test" results?

JSmith
But he also measured the gear. It showed that the iFi ipower is a very good power supply with very low ripple and noise.
Please read the review.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Objective measurements of the iFi products seems hard to find .

I found a really interesting review with many tested power supplies and real measurements , here :

It seems that the iFi ipower is really good - Comments on that ?

View attachment 333905View attachment 333906
I have read it. Irrelevant measurements and a dangerous half knowledge. PS ripple noise in the audio band is not essential. Many devices have an excellent rejection of this noise. Therefore, essential is what comes out of the DAC (or amp) and if you can see any noise coming through from the PS. I didn’t see these kind of measurements, but please point me to them, if I overlooked them.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have read it. Irrelevant measurements and a dangerous half knowledge. PS ripple noise in the audio band is not essential. Many devices have an excellent rejection of this noise. Therefore, essential is what comes out of the DAC (or amp) and if you can see any noise coming through from the PS. I didn’t see these kind of measurements, but please point me to them, if I overlooked them.
You are right that he only measured the noise and ripple coming out from the power supplies, not what comes out from the dac or amp. Anyway, I thought is was fair to share those measurements thats obviously are objective and also because iFi ipower supplies as products (might) have been unkindly treated on this forum.
The iFi ipower 9V seems to be a very good product. Even if its probably not needed in many products that has good rejection of noise.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
You are right that he only measured the noise and ripple coming out from the power supplies, not what comes out from the dac or amp. Anyway, I thought is was fair to share those measurements thats obviously are objective and also because iFi ipower supplies as products (might) have been unkindly treated on this forum.
The iFi ipower 9V seems to be a very good product.
I find these kind of publications „dangerous“ as it gives the wrong impression to the less informed and letting them spend money on unnecessary items / equipment.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
I find these kind of publications „dangerous“ as it gives the wrong impression to the less informed and letting them spend money on unnecessary items / equipment.
Well, people buy the newest high -115 SINAD dac without anyone warning them for those ”dangerous” buys, when noone obviously dont need anything better than a -100 SINAD dac , i.e = dacs are a solved problem, just as power supplies are in many products ?
Are we hypocrites ?

Top Bottom