• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement&Review of Luxury&Precision W1/W2 Portable USB DAC-Amp

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Recently I have measured a lot of Portable USB DAC-Amps. To be honest... I am not satisfied.The first is that almost all Portable USB DAC with CS43131 have bugs (suspected digital filter overload appears under the Multitone measurement of 48KHZ 0dbFS).Then there is the phase shift problem of iBasso DC03 and DC04……
MiniDSP IL-DSP : Low output power Musiland Mu3X? Distortion degrades under high power output. BTR5? Ess Hump…… Lotoo PAW S1? The measurement result does not match the spec……

I posted so many complaints that when I bought some IEMs, some friends laughed at me: What equipment do you use to drive these IEMs? Do you have a device that drives them to your satisfaction?This even made me a little angry: I can use Topping L30 to drive it!

But while the IEMs I ordered were still in transit...something happened...

Mr. Wan from Luxury&Precision contacted me and said he wanted to send three prototypes of Portable USB DAC-Amp.He hoped that I could do some debugging before these devices were released.

I have always believed that being able to help manufacturers and enable users to obtain better products is the purpose of my measurement.

So, this is the three prototypes:
Photo.jpg

Under the brief introduction, there are two versions (black and silver) corresponding to dual DAC chip and single DAC chip. The price is also different. At the beginning of the measurement, I found the phase shift issue:
DualBALDashboard.jpg

Although SINAD surprised me (the dual-chip version exceeds the CS43198 Datasheet), the phase shift still exists! (You can see that the waveforms of the two channels are staggered). This is obviously a bug. I immediately told Mr. Wan.

I reported the error at 2:30 this afternoon and Luxury & Precision gave me the new firmware at 7 PM! Mr. Wan said that it must be repaired before release to avoid more complaints.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: It's Saturday...:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
FIXED:
Fixed.jpg

Okay, let me post some measurement results
[W2 BAL Out]
DualBALDashboard.jpg

[W2UNBAL Out]
DualUNBALDashboard.jpg

[W1(single CS43198) BALOut]
SBALDashboard.jpg

[W1(single CS43198) UnBALOut]
SUNBALDashboard.jpg

The next measurement is the black version:
Dynamic-Range.jpg

Linearity-(-20.jpg

THD+N-Ratio.jpg

[The dotted line is 90KBW]
SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

IMDSMPFFT.jpg

Crosstalk.jpg

Multitone.jpg

12K.jpg

[BAL 32Ω]
THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-@32Ω-BAL-Out.jpg

[UnBAL 32Ω]
THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-@32Ω-UNBAL-Out.jpg

THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-@68Ω-BAL-Out.jpg

THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-@300Ω-BAL-Out.jpg

Introduction: According to the price I know (1XX and 2XX usd), this product is really worth it...Luxury&Precision is really crazy...

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! I suppose these compete with the Hidizs S8 / Tempotec Sonata HD Pro?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is very good-but obviously this one is much better
Will see is it worth a price, mentioned Sonata is eachy to say at least with some USB ports but what concerns me more as TT actually has a good reputation with driver support is Cirrus. CS43131 while great is rather complex design. Dual DAC balanced out performance is great but for the price you can buy equally equipped DAP.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 A follow-up question for you, do you know if these dongles support a UAC1 mode for game consoles like the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4/5? My (as yet unmeasured) Lotoo PAW S1 does, but I love having the SPDIF output as an option here too.

KTN46

Can you elaborate about the issues with the DC03? I was considering it over the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.

WDitters

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Is it just me or does the Google Translate on L7audiolab provide some just completely wild results?
Oh yeah.. :) you can try DeepL for a slightly better translation, but it's never perfect, haha.

Savi

I am looking for a good portable USB dac AMP. This could be the one. I see that there is a lot of EQ preset. With a firmware update, is it technically possible that the manufacturer offers the possibility to define our own EQ in the future ?
Is there any device that offer this function ? (The idea is to listen with my phone (tidal) and be able to use the same EQ I use in my home setup). Thx.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I am looking for a good portable USB dac AMP. This could be the one. I see that there is a lot of EQ preset. With a firmware update, is it technically possible that the manufacturer offers the possibility to define our own EQ in the future ?
Is there any device that offer this function ? (The idea is to listen with my phone (tidal) and be able to use the same EQ I use in my home setup). Thx.
Well if you don't mind using HiBy Music try with HiBy R3 Pro DAP. You can't save EQ's but they are all adjustable and there's also MSEB (which you can save). It costs little less than this in Pro balanced form and uses same DAC's.

Savi

Are these sold anywhere, or are they vapourware?

I found the W1 on a website named hifigo (200$| 165€) but I dont know this site. Apparently the W2 is coming soon at 300$. The performances seem very good for a dongle and I am curious if I will hear any difference with my dx3pro (focal clear) if I bought it. I will wait some feedback before.

Top Bottom