• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA: Best Audio DAC in the World?

If pop noise happens at the same point of a music file every time, it most probably due to the music file.
we will try the music file you shared, thanks for your feedback.
The thing is the noise isn't supposed to be there, and it only happens when volume is at -3dbfs, and at 7xxPCM rates, so some kind of upsampler is needed to trigger it, I wonder if I trigger some kind of bug in the ESS sabre chip PCM path itself, or if it's DAC specific.
It's not really a problem though but it would be nice to know why it happens...

sora

It seems that the result of SINAD measurement is good when -1 dBFS is set. Is this more advantageous in sound quality when set to -1 dBFS in PRE mode than in DAC mode (fixed output)?
In that case, what happens with -2 dBFS and -3 dBFS?

I listen with a headphone amp connected.
I experienced that the sound quality was greatly deteriorated when PRE mode was used with another DAC using AKM before.
I want to use it in PRE mode at around -3 dBFS due to headphone efficiency issues ...

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
It's a shame about the noise in the multitone intermodulation distortion text. I might just buy the Element X instead, even though I don't need the network streaming or headphone amp.
@amirm
Can you comment on the differences in 32 tone intermodulation tests results between the Element X and the Sabre Pro?
I have not had time to look at it. I have given the test file to Matrix though as they are investigating.
@amirm did you ever receive a response from @MatrixAudio about this?

I am also curious why the Element X fared better in the jitter test.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Tony

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #394
If you don't need streamer or HA, does it justify 1000 dollars more?
Currently have an AURALiC Vega G2 and Leo GX combo that is going back for service and need an interim DAC to fill the void. Was thinking of giving the PRO MQA a chance to unseat it as my reference and selling the loser but I can't get a good deal on one because of the tariffs. I will probably just buy a Sabaj D5 to hold me over and call it a day.

As far as the $1k, it is worth it to me if I have the best DAC available even though it is inaudible. It means something to me that I have the best even if it is intangible; it is a sickness.

trl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
King of Mods
That beauty runs deep when it comes to performance as Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA unseats its own brother to take the crown of the best DAC I have ever measured.
I guess Topping D90 measured about the same, based on https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-of-topping-d90-4499dac.10281/. I'd say this is quite impressive for AKM 4499 DAC chips.

It's great to see that more companies are so involved into R&D and all are raising the bar to meet and exceed the 120dB SINAD threshold.

P.S.: Hope these folks are not using custom firmware to get a better SINAD for 1KHz only. Maybe a second test with a random frequency would be needed (e.g.: 440Hz or simply a random number like...4.35Khz).

Sorry for this noob question..

Just read on head-fi denafrips terminator thread; they don't recommend plugging in both xlr and rca plugs into the dac at the same time as it degrades sound quality.

So does this hold true for all dacs or only specific ones?

I had both plugged in to my x-sabre pro, then removed rca and listened with xlr, not sure if I can hear a difference (?)...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #400
Sorry for this noob question..

Just read on head-fi denafrips terminator thread; they don't recommend plugging in both xlr and rca plugs into the dac at the same time as it degrades sound quality.

So does this hold true for all dacs or only specific ones?

I had both plugged in to my x-sabre pro, then removed rca and listened with xlr, not sure if I can hear a difference (?)...
Not with these DACs. I frequently connect both at the same time and measure that way.