• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA: Best Audio DAC in the World?

digicidal

Major Contributor

Novak

Is the M-Link a 12V trigger?

sorry maybe I missed the answer, but I am wondering about the same question. Does anyone know?
could not find any help in user manual (nor on google)

Triumph_900

Congratz!
How do you use it? Dac or dac/preamp? With what streamer? And amp?
Mine should arrive in 2 weeks

thanks.
I use it as a Dac only for both my streamer (Bluesound Node 2i) and my CD player (Yamaha CD-S3000).

Todesengel

It's a shame about the noise in the multitone intermodulation distortion text. I might just buy the Element X instead, even though I don't need the network streaming or headphone amp.

@amirm
Can you comment on the differences in 32 tone intermodulation tests results between the Element X and the Sabre Pro?

I have not had time to look at it. I have given the test file to Matrix though as they are investigating.

@amirm did you ever receive a response from @MatrixAudio about this?

I am also curious why the Element X fared better in the jitter test.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Tony

Last edited:

Todesengel

If you don't need streamer or HA, does it justify 1000 dollars more?

Currently have an AURALiC Vega G2 and Leo GX combo that is going back for service and need an interim DAC to fill the void. Was thinking of giving the PRO MQA a chance to unseat it as my reference and selling the loser but I can't get a good deal on one because of the tariffs. I will probably just buy a Sabaj D5 to hold me over and call it a day.

As far as the $1k, it is worth it to me if I have the best DAC available even though it is inaudible. It means something to me that I have the best even if it is intangible; it is a sickness.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
That beauty runs deep when it comes to performance as Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA unseats its own brother to take the crown of the best DAC I have ever measured.

I guess Topping D90 measured about the same, based on https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-of-topping-d90-4499dac.10281/. I'd say this is quite impressive for AKM 4499 DAC chips.

It's great to see that more companies are so involved into R&D and all are raising the bar to meet and exceed the 120dB SINAD threshold.

P.S.: Hope these folks are not using custom firmware to get a better SINAD for 1KHz only. Maybe a second test with a random frequency would be needed (e.g.: 440Hz or simply a random number like...4.35Khz).

Roasty

Sorry for this noob question..

Just read on head-fi denafrips terminator thread; they don't recommend plugging in both xlr and rca plugs into the dac at the same time as it degrades sound quality.

So does this hold true for all dacs or only specific ones?

I had both plugged in to my x-sabre pro, then removed rca and listened with xlr, not sure if I can hear a difference (?)...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry for this noob question..

Just read on head-fi denafrips terminator thread; they don't recommend plugging in both xlr and rca plugs into the dac at the same time as it degrades sound quality.

I had both plugged in to my x-sabre pro, then removed rca and listened with xlr, not sure if I can hear a difference (?)...
Not with these DACs. I frequently connect both at the same time and measure that way.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
both xlr and rca plugs into the dac at the same time
What could happen is that if the XLR and RCA inputs are connected (shorted) together, and you plug two different sources into them at the same time, some or all of the output from one of your sources will flow into the output jack of your other source. Stranger things could happen if you play both of those sources.

Otherwise there's no way that could have an impact on sound quality.

Roasty

Not with these DACs. I frequently connect both at the same time and measure that way.

Thanks, Amir! Going to reconnect the rca.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I see indeed Alvin's post from here, but without actually checking the schematic nobody can be 100% sure. However, each output shoud be using it's own output buffer (op-amp or transistors), so there should be no issue.
Technically, each output has it's own buffer that is usually connected to the Low-Pass Filter, so unless the LPF op-amp has only 5...10mA of max. output current, then there should be no issue.
What could happen is that if the XLR and RCA inputs are connected (shorted) together, and you plug two different sources into them at the same time, some or all of the output from one of your sources will flow into the output jack of your other source.
Like I said above, if the two outputs are not buffered at all (which makes no sense, because it's incorrect) then the volume might decrease with 0.5...1dB, but also the freq. response and linearity and THD+D could get affected on a very small margin. This is like connecting two subs from the same RCA plug via an Y-connector. But again, each DAC output should have it's own buffer, otherwise the design is incorrect. If there is no dedicated output buffer, the switch + relay should be installed (or software & LCD + relay) to prevent both outputs to be active.

However, some designs might differ bit, see below:

es9018iv.png

Hifiduino courtesy (it's basically taken from ESS datasheet)
I see that designer of the HifiDIY ES9018 DAC choose to add AD826 op-amps as buffers for the XLR outputs, even if the I/V chips (AD797B) had already enough output current to drive both stages at once: 50mA (full schematic drawings here: https://hifiduino.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/prometheus-mb-sche.pdf).

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

I see some new measurements here for this DAC coming from Wolf: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-matrix-audio-x-sabre-pro.9965/, so about identical performance with https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...bre-pro-mqa-best-audio-dac-in-the-world.8729/, but of course, without the MQA decoding and with a tiny ESS IMD thump; however the MQA ver. has a bit worse multi-tone measurement, although definitely inaudible in an A/B test.

It's difficult to spot, but on the below pic I think that each output RCA/XLR is buffered by a dedicated op-amp:
X-Sabre-Pro-1-of-1-6.jpg

Courtesy of Soundnews
Given the above, I wouldn't be worried about leaving both RCA and XLR outputs inside this DAC. I actually do the same with my ASUS E1 that has each output buffered.

Roasty

I see some new measurements here for this DAC coming from Wolf: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-matrix-audio-x-sabre-pro.9965/, so about identical performance with https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...bre-pro-mqa-best-audio-dac-in-the-world.8729/, but of course, without the MQA decoding and with a tiny ESS IMD thump; however the MQA ver. has a bit worse multi-tone measurement, although definitely inaudible in an A/B test.

It's difficult to spot, but on the below pic I think that each output RCA/XLR is buffered by a dedicated op-amp:
X-Sabre-Pro-1-of-1-6.jpg

Courtesy of Soundnews
Given the above, I wouldn't be worried about leaving both RCA and XLR outputs inside this DAC. I actually do the same with my ASUS E1 that has each output buffered.

Wow! Thank you for the amazing replies! Very much appreciated. I was already content with Amir's reply but yours just took it to the next level! Lol it must be nice having so much smarts!

Top Bottom