• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA: Best Audio DAC in the World?

4 Different devices. All of them need one. Just pointing out if you are going to use it with any of these devices these are the problems that I have found. I was initially hoping it could be fixed on the MA side but it seems that that is not the case.

Just wanted to let people know if they are planning on buying this DAC and using it outside of the Windows 10 environment with Matrix custom USB drivers, these are some of the issues I have found. All issues have been reported to Matrix Audio, but I am not sure if they are fixing them or they think that all the other products need to provide their own fix.
I have not noticed any of these issues with my Allo USBridge running latest DietPi OS and connected to MA DAC via USB. That said, I am not using Roon, so maybe it is the culprit.

Bliman

If you have for example a subscription for Tidal. Is there a way to play their content with this DAC? Or play content of a harddrive is that possible? Basically, I am looking for an option that does the same things as the Okto research Stereo dac.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
hi amir would you test the aes output 1k jitter and thd/ sinad?
AES is a digital interface so has no concept of THD or SINAD. Jitter, I can measure.

If you have for example a subscription for Tidal. Is there a way to play their content with this DAC? Or play content of a harddrive is that possible? Basically, I am looking for an option that does the same things as the Okto research Stereo dac.
Can it play MQA files from a harddrive, the answer is yes. Tidal streaming in MQA is possible but only when using MQA certified software (e.g., Roon) or hardware (a network streamer with the built-in Tidal MQA support). You cannot just use Chromecast Audio for that unfortunately, this will only stream up to Hi-Fi quality.

AES is a digital interface so has no concept of THD or SINAD. Jitter, I can measure.
there should be a way to evaluate aes3 signal quality right? since aes3 contains clock information and in cases that the input signal needs to be downsampled or dsd to pcm conversion, should the quality of these be evaluated? basically it's like evaluating the xmos interface and its peripherals i imagine?

Last edited: