• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio HPA-3B Balanced Headphone Amp Review

rocksteady

Forum Donor
@amirm I bought another one (my second) that had sparkos voltage regulators already installed. I think that was to allow certain oamps.

I did fit two opa1656's which were recommended to me by a TI engineer last year. It took a while but the sound grew on me. I have the 789 running alongside it and they are very close but the HPA-3B has a little body to it and sounds fuller. It's very marginal but might be something to do with class A vs A/B.

Admittedly I lean more to the Matrix over the 789 and it pairs excellently with my mdr-z7m2 which are also upgraded with lambskin. DBS tech talk reviewed my modded set.

It's also worth noting that while the 789 has 6 watts vs 3.8 the HPA-3B @300 and 600 ohms has about double the power of the 789 which is why I think it's a great amp to have.

I wish they would redo this amp with the 789 form factor or just re-release it as it probably didn't get the recognition it deserved.

To anyone who reads this If you ever get the chance to pick one up I highly recommend it.

@MatrixAudio I had one of these and sold it, managed to get another and love it. Amazing amplifier especially with opa1656 opamps.
"...the HPA-3B @300 and 600 ohms has about double the power of the 789 which is why I think it's a great amp to have.
I wish they would redo this amp with the 789 form factor or just re-release it as it probably didn't get the recognition it deserved."

I own this too, and absolutely agree with you on both counts. Truly a great amp, especially for High impedance Headphones. I briefly owned the Drop THX 789 and I have found it underwhelming, especially on High Z. It was quickly sold and I had no regrets.
Unfortunately, there is no sign from Matrix that they have any will to relaunch/redesign the HPA-3B...

Azzazzi

Hi. Am a relative newbie audiophile. Will this pair well with an Abyss AB 1266 TC ? Bought it a while ago on Massdrop (Drop) for around $400 way back when. Hardly used as I am still upgrading to balanced components. Thinking of going for abyss headphones so was contemplating suitable amps without breaking the bank.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Hi,

New thread here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eadphone-amp-play-nice-with-ab-1226-tc.28322/, why?

We have Amir's measurements here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-hpa-3b-balanced-headphone-amp-review.10216/ and a tear-down with some intrusive mods here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/matrix-m-stage-hpa-3b-mods.4344/.

HPA-3B has a low output impedance, has three gain levels and has quite a beefy output stage, hence it will pair with any dynamic or planar pair of headphones out there.

Azzazzi

Hi,

New thread here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eadphone-amp-play-nice-with-ab-1226-tc.28322/, why?

We have Amir's measurements here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-hpa-3b-balanced-headphone-amp-review.10216/ and a tear-down with some intrusive mods here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/matrix-m-stage-hpa-3b-mods.4344/.

HPA-3B has a low output impedance, has three gain levels and has quite a beefy output stage, hence it will pair with any dynamic or planar pair of headphones out there
Thanks for the feedback. Apologies for the double post as I was a bit impatient/unsure if this thread was still active. Although bought a while ago the HPA-3B hasn’t got much mileage as I get bad hum/noise when using the balanced inputs. The mods mentioned in the link look too complicated/dangerous for a novice like me

Daleksek

After 7 years of loyal service,

The amp takes a long time to switch on, it takes at least 30 to 60 minutes for it to start up and for the LED to light up, during which time it heats up.

Has anyone experienced this?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
You might need to visit an electronic repair shop to have it checked (PSU, output DC protection etc.). However, do let us know if you find out the issue.

Daleksek

Your Matrix Audio HPA-3B now is like this?
Yes, it seems to take longer and longer for the amp to start up.
I hear a relay when I switch the amplifier on with the button on the back
The temperature of the appliance is as high as when it is operating normally, but no sound comes out
I thought I heard another relay when the blue light and sound came on.

You might need to visit an electronic repair shop to have it checked (PSU, output DC protection etc.). However, do let us know if you find out the issue.
I knew a good one, but it's a bit far from where I live now.
I'm afraid it's going to cost me as much as the amp, between travel and repair costs.

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@Daleksek there might be issues on the internal power supply, maybe one of the two voltage regulators, but there could be one of the opams broken too and this might trigger the DC protection...hard to say. You might try to measure the voltage across transformer output and across voltage regulators, but also DC output on jack and XLR plugs, but there is a high risk of short circuiting copper traces there and completely damaging the headamp, not mentioning electroshock risks! I still think that you might need to visit someone that has some basic electronic skills.

On mine I've reduced voltage rails from +/-18V to +/-15V because it was too hot for my taste and even after so many years of service (but rather light usage) it has 10dB better SINAD than the original version (113.5dB).

Top Bottom