• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-T400ET

Radar

Forum Donor
I have a Audiophonics HPA-S400ET and a HPA-T400ET in a 5.1 system. When warm if the amplifiers are turned off and then on the HPA-T400ET trips out. If you wait about 60 seconds, the amp starts up fine. They both use a Hypex SMPS1200 power supply. You can hear the relay on the SMPS turn on then off. J4 pin 10 on the SMPS is called DC Error and J3 pin 36 on the Purifi 1ET400A, SCL/Fatal or Amplifier error/fail.
Hpex state: -
In the event of a critical failure occurring in the connected amplifier, the SMPS1200 needs to be switched off rapidly. The SMPS1200 provides a single DC Error Input designated for UcD OEM/NCore series amplifiers. The DC Error Input is latched and will not auto-recover. To reset the DC Error the module must be disconnected from mains for at least 1 minute to allow the primary capacitors to drain.
Purifi state for DC Protection (DCP) :-
In HW Mode, DCP-latch-off condition asserts /FATAL signal low. It is recommended that the /FATAL signal is used to switch off the power supplies.
However, Purifi EVAL1 and 2 systems do not use this signal and do not connect to the SMPS J4 connector.
Audiophonics do use J4 and I think they use this error signal; however, I have no circuit diagram to prove this. In operation this is not a problem, once you know what is going on. Just wait and then turn it back on. I have not asked Audiophonics and cannot see any reference to this in their information.
I am very happy with the amplifier's performance.
I would like to know if anyone has come across this issue.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I tried to understand your problem but is not clear.
Are you saying that the amp shuts off immediately after turn it on?
Reporting DC error?
Then you should check your source (s) for DC,that's not normal and can cause mayhem down the road.

OP
R

Radar

Forum Donor
If you turn off the amp and then try to turn it on again it shuts down. You have to wait about 1 minute before turning it on again.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If you turn off the amp and then try to turn it on again it shuts down. You have to wait about 1 minute before turning it on again.
Does it with everything disconnected from it too?

OP
R

Radar

Forum Donor
Yes I have seen it do that with everything disconnected. I think the Purifi 1ET400A modules need to discharge enough before turning back on, otherwise an error is generated which trips the SMPS1200. I have tried other 1ET400A modules and the system has the same behavior.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yes I have seen it do that with everything disconnected. I think the Purifi 1ET400A modules need to discharge enough before turning back on, otherwise an error is generated which trips the SMPS1200. I have tried other 1ET400A modules and the system has the same behavior.
It's not related to the Purifi modules. We do not have such a behavior.

OP
R

Radar

Forum Donor
I think my issue is, I have change over both the SMPS and the Purifi modules and still get the same behavior. The power supply is definitely being stripped out. You can hear it being tripped out. The fact that it takes about 1 minute before it turns on properly suggests the DC Error signal is being used and can and has probably been driven from the Purifi modules. I may have to ask Audiophonics about this.

ppataki

Major Contributor
Just FYI I used to have an Audiophonics amp (based on the NC250MP modules) with the same behavior

OP
R

Radar

Forum Donor
The same type of trip circuit may have been employed. It pays to read the data on the products. I suspect that some designs don't use this feature, hence don't have the same behavior. Not even Purifi's own EVAL bourds use it.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The same type of trip circuit may have been employed. It pays to read the data on the products. I suspect that some designs don't use this feature, hence don't have the same behavior. Not even Purifi's own EVAL bourds use it.
We do use this feature and have no problem.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Audiophonics HPA-S400ET and a HPA-T400ET in a 5.1 system. When warm if the amplifiers are turned off and then on the HPA-T400ET trips out. If you wait about 60 seconds, the amp starts up fine. They both use a Hypex SMPS1200 power supply. You can hear the relay on the SMPS turn on then off. J4 pin 10 on the SMPS is called DC Error and J3 pin 36 on the Purifi 1ET400A, SCL/Fatal or Amplifier error/fail.
Hpex state: -
In the event of a critical failure occurring in the connected amplifier, the SMPS1200 needs to be switched off rapidly. The SMPS1200 provides a single DC Error Input designated for UcD OEM/NCore series amplifiers. The DC Error Input is latched and will not auto-recover. To reset the DC Error the module must be disconnected from mains for at least 1 minute to allow the primary capacitors to drain.
Purifi state for DC Protection (DCP) :-
In HW Mode, DCP-latch-off condition asserts /FATAL signal low. It is recommended that the /FATAL signal is used to switch off the power supplies.
However, Purifi EVAL1 and 2 systems do not use this signal and do not connect to the SMPS J4 connector.
Audiophonics do use J4 and I think they use this error signal; however, I have no circuit diagram to prove this. In operation this is not a problem, once you know what is going on. Just wait and then turn it back on. I have not asked Audiophonics and cannot see any reference to this in their information.
I am very happy with the amplifier's performance.
I would like to know if anyone has come across this issue.
Based on the answers you have received so far, I’d contact Audiphonics and ask them.

OP
R

Radar

Forum Donor
I will again but last time had no answer. My HPA-T400ET has this problem but my HPA-S400ET does not. They use different interface boards and the HPA-S400ET may not pass on the DC Error signal to the power supply. Unless you have a HPA-T400ET you may not know about this issue.

OP
R

Radar

Forum Donor
Also there is no problem when the HPA-T400ET is cold, only when it warms up.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will again but last time had no answer. My HPA-T400ET has this problem but my HPA-S400ET does not. They use different interface boards and the HPA-S400ET may not pass on the DC Error signal to the power supply. Unless you have a HPA-T400ET you may not know about this issue.
It might be worth referring them to this thread. They are likely to pay more attention to a problem if they know it is being discussed here.

OP
R

Radar

Forum Donor
Good point, thank you. I have opened up a technical inquire with Audiophonics and am waiting on a response.

OP
R

Radar

Forum Donor
I have worked out the reason for power tip in the HPA-T400ET. Unlike the HPA-S400ET it doesn't use the Amplifier ON signal from the power supply, which provides a second delay for the buffer amplifiers to stabilize before the Purifi modules turn on. In the HPA-T400ET the Purifi modules turn on when power is supplied, meaning any DC offset in the Buffer trips the Purifi module and then the supply.

Top Bottom