• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Still a lot of hand waving and nothing concrete.

1681829434863.jpeg

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are many truly talented engineers & academicians working hard on trying to understand the relationship between circuit topology and perceived sound quality.
After trying to find some of the references you edited in to try and understand if there is any interesting information, I am realizing maybe a more pertinent question would be : anything recent, maybe less than 10 years old?

VQR

After trying to find some of the references you edited in to try and understand if there is any interesting information, I am realizing maybe a more pertinent question would be : anything recent, maybe less than 10 years old?
Given the details of what was said in these papers were scant, I doubt much of interest will be forthcoming.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the details of what was said in these papers were scant, I doubt much of interest will be forthcoming.
Massively uninteresting?

Reactions: VQR

Snr_Rvrs_Eng

So are the 19 edits you have made to your original post.

That's generally considered bad form, as it makes following the thread and responses very difficult....

Due to poor wifi connection (local Mc...) I was unable to access the content the first time so i had to keep on clicking the edit icon for each edit.
My apologies.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you know one reason the Copernican model didn't displace the Ptolemaic model is the Ptolemaic model with its various corrections was the more accurate one at predicting planetary motion. Everyone was hung up on circles in the heavens as being perfection. When Kepler showed orbits were elliptical then everything fell into place it was far more accurate and simple.
Thread drift and off topic. Results of imaging a palimpsest containing writing from Ptolemy was released a couple days after my post. Thought it might be interesting.

DrDen

It's $800 (D90LE) and doesn't sound an ounce better than a D-6 at $170.

Sure, it plays 20% louder at 5.25V, but if you really need that extra voltage, just get an SU-9 Pro at $250.
I heard that “all DACs (amps) sound the same”. This hobby costs money. You can buy used device and sell it. Have fun.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
...Our host has made this part of his life’s Work! We wear the “Bad Reputation” badge with pride and conviction. Engineering excellence is rewarded here.
bad reputation - and of course the Spartacus term... yep...

pardon an off-topic comment that follows - but anecdotally... a few years ago (pre-covid), I was very busy one month when an old friend called with a desperate request for help with a few issues regarding his consumer-audio stuff - so I set aside time to help him that afternoon...

looking for relevant info/answers after a few search-engine results I stumbled upon this place... no clue what it was or what it might be, but after reading for a few moments I came a cross a post by 'the boss' here - talking about something related to my search...

oddly, the only reason I remember that event (now, years later) was amirm's distinctive avatar pic... and after reading a few of his comments, I recall saying to myself, "this woman is going to get the snot beat out of her online by all those audiophile lunatics" - and I left the page... continued searching for whatever it was I was searching for, and that was that...

Spartacus indeed...

ribonucleic

The time-domain mystery again.. For linear systems the frequency and time domain are different representations of the same signal, and advanced math allows us to convert one view to the other https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_domain

I’ve been listening to the Darko podcast episode titled “EXPERT OPINION: Mark Jenkins goes deep on digital audio”.

The EXPERT is explaining how the timing of the 1-s and 0-s is critical. And that getting it shipshape and Bristol fashion requires a multi-stage process roughly comparable to cleaning a mud-caked ATV. First you hose blast off the worst of the encrustation. Then you can hand wash with soap. Finally a nice polish with wax…

My convictions were starting to go gooey with it all. So I came here to strengthen my mind.

I take it then that Math! demonstrates this to be a non-issue.

As Foghorn Leghorn, my spirit animal, says: You can argue with me but you can’t argue with figures!

Geert

Major Contributor

Newman

Major Contributor
:facepalm:

DrDen

I support this 100%.
I am currently using DX7 Pro and D-6 with 2xLA90D, can't tell the difference.
Also, heard the D90 with LA90(non-D), to be completely honest, also couldn't tell the diff lol.

At one point, I think you just buy a decent DAC that fits your usages (inputs, outputs, bells and whistles) and call it a day.
Any DAC is just a link in the chain. Speakers are most important. Cables also mean a lot. LA90 seems to be the perfect tool to compare up to three DACs, even hi-end ones. It’s definitely not the weakest link.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Cables also mean a lot.

I agree that they are necessary, but to me they are the very last thing on the list to be worried about. Beyond basic competence for the application, there isn't a lot to be concerned with.

DrDen

I agree that they are necessary, but to me they are the very last thing on the list to be worried about. Beyond basic competence for the application, there isn't a lot to be concerned with.
Thought the same few years ago:)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I heard that “all DACs (amps) sound the same”. This hobby costs money. You can buy used device and sell it. Have fun.

It costs much more than it needs to for those who don't bother understanding what's happening, but just buy into the story being told.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thought the same few years ago:)

So someone has told you a good story...

We try to stick to what can be backed by evidence, not claims.

DrDen

I support this 100%.
I am currently using DX7 Pro and D-6 with 2xLA90D, can't tell the difference.
Also, heard the D90 with LA90(non-D), to be completely honest, also couldn't tell the diff lol.

At one point, I think you just buy a decent DAC that fits your usages (inputs, outputs, bells and whistles) and call it a day.
I’ve owned DX7PRO about one year ago, it’s good DAC, but LA90 is much more capable. It depends on speakers and source, otherwise even the best DAC will make no difference.

DrDen

So someone has told you a good story...

We try to stick to what can be backed by evidence, not claims.
I listen music with no evidence around, sorry)
Sure, there’s no sense buying cable that is more expensive than DAC or amp, but cables do sound different. I say just what I hear, nothing more.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen music with no evidence around, sorry)
Sure, there’s no sense buying cable that is more expensive than DAC or amp, but cables do sound different. I say just what I hear, nothing more.
Nah, you say what you think you hear. And I (and most of posters in thread) would hear the difference comparing two cables, sighted.

Top Bottom