• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen music with no evidence around, sorry)
Sure, there’s no sense buying cable that is more expensive than DAC or amp, but cables do sound different. I say just what I hear, nothing more.
Your hearing fools you (bias). When making such an universal statement like you, yes we want evidence, otherwise it never happened. Plenty of cable threads here which explain it. Have a look.

DrDen

Your hearing fools you (bias). When making such a universal statement like you, yes we want evidence, otherwise it never happened. Plenty of cable threads here which explain it. Have a look.
Well, are speakers also the same? Some of them are just more bulky and expensive, I suppose? Speakers are first. Any doubts?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Well, are speakers also the same? Some of them are just more bulky and expensive, I suppose? Speakers are first. Any doubts?

Transducers are in a different category than solid state electronics.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Okay. Why do I prefer Analysis plus Silver Apex to AQ Earth? Both cost the same.

Because you heard differences. Whether they exist anywhere but your mind is the question.

The physics of it suggests, assuming one or both of those two cables aren't somehow audiophiled to incompetence, that there isn't going to be an audible difference once that signal gets to the speaker.

There are lots of claims to the contrary from well known names so lots of people believe. Supporting evidence from controlled testing hasn't been provided for support. Ever. Most do what you do, which is to just argue rather than put yourself to the test, or fall back on all that anecdotal support, since so many couldn't be so wrong, could they?

A little bit of understanding can go a long way to avoid being ripped off.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
AQ is obviously more known and advertised, but sounds more restrained.

So, why not just make more claims I suppose.

But every link means. Real music is not that simple to be reproduced flawlessly. But not everyone cares. That’s the matter.

How well do you understand the technical side?

I'm going to give you a little time out from this thread in the hopes that you will do more reading.

scruffy1

well, i'm back, and measurably better equipped with a topping e70, which recorded a better sinad than the khadas tone 1 it replaced

and at risk of chastisement, sounds better :)

anyway, having just read the comments of the cable guy, i wonder if i am doing my current chain a disservice by having to swap the hefty pair of canare 4n rca connectors (too short for the situation) for a pair of rca's on a thinner set of wires terminating in a 3.5mm stereo plug?

from prior advice here, i expect i should just shut up and enjoy the music, but is there any likely benefit in having separate shielded left and right connections versus the Y connection described?

no, this isn't trolling, but my profound lack of understanding of the differences in routing of those 2 options once they get to an amplifier (in this case a nad d2030), and indeed, intertwined or physically separate en route

thanks for any learned comment, or please bounce the question to a more relevant thread if that's appropriate

solderdude

Grand Contributor
i wonder if i am doing my current chain a disservice by having to swap the hefty pair of canare 4n rca connectors (too short for the situation) for a pair of rca's on a thinner set of wires terminating in a 3.5mm stereo plug?

Not from a sound quality p.o.v.
However, 3.5mm TRS jacks are prone to make intermittent contact, much more so than RCA connectors (which also come in varying quality)

scruffy1

makes sense re the actual connection

the 3.5mm termination is pretty chunky, and it is a bit squeezy where it has to go, tight up against a similar connector from an adjacent port that feeds the signal to an active sub-woofer

thankfully the system is unlikely to get much movement of the relative parts where it is situated

solderdude

Grand Contributor
As long as the connection is solid, so no scratchy sounds when rotating/wiggeling the TRS jacks it is all O.K.
I use 3.5mm TRS myself a lot also and almost always have a good connection.

scruffy1

wherever there is more than one option there will be conflicting opinions

thanks for making me uncertain

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For DIY or when one has a choice of connections then there XLR's (do not even have to be Neutrik) are the best choice.
That said... when one only has a choice between RCA and 3.5 or 2.5mm TR(R)S jacks the RCA is less problematic.
When one only has 3.5mm or 2.5mm then you are stuck with it. In my experience this mostly works fine. Sometimes a problem is in the plug, sometimes it is in the socket or a combination of them.

When the connection is good (no scratching/intermittent sound when rotating/wiggeling) the connection is good and just as usable as any other connection.
But yes... it is one of the worst audio connectors out there but not unusable as millions of devices use these connectors.

Last edited:

susigoodness

Yeah “almost” :). In my experience, it is a terrible connector and I use Neutrik XLRs even for single-ended signals. Non standard, I know, but the components are built by myself so I can do it this way.
This is nice, not long ago I found a person who made me RCA cables, now the sound is much better, because the ones bought from the factory are bad and often break or start making various noises.

egellings

Major Contributor
Not really - people will still hear what they want to hear, and when things are equal they *still* establish a preference.

I tested the Benchmark AHB2 and the NAD M22 side by side, volume matched. I didn't hear a difference until I had to convince myself I *had* to make a choice since I could not keep both. And so I decided to hear a difference, and picked one because it seems to sound more "fun". :)

I know the counter argument will be that double blind testing will show the supposed preference is pretty much 50-50 statistically... but people still make "excuses" to justify their choice.
I don't understand how a person could establish a preference for one piece over another if the two have way subaudible sound differences at matched volume listening levels and the listener can't see which piece is in play. If the person can see which piece is playing, then I can see how perceived sound could vary, since it has to go through and be modified by the listener's belief filters about the equipment.

Top Bottom