• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

D

Deleted member 23982

Well, yeah, a sighted A/B test, what could the response possibly be?
well, do you hear difference? i dont think any of you guys with your "all is a joke" mindset would suffer of a placebo.... placebo just happens on "positive" expectations

"cable burn in is a thing"... How?
i just wrote it in the last post, thats the only explanation i have which does make remotely make sense, tho i also clearly hear it, specially with chinch/xlr cables and capacitors

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
yea mainly because of capacitors is my guess, i can also confirm that cable burn in is a thing... pretty much all electronics tho the only explanation i can give is the audiophile "molecular structure change" with electrons flowing throw it...

Cable burn-in is now scientifically confirmed. It was molecular structure change with electron flow all along. These dumb "scientists" who can't explain how power flows got it wrong again!

Back to rubbing two sticks for fire for me then.

DanielT

Major Contributor
i just wrote it in the last post, thats the only explanation i have which does make remotely make sense, tho i also clearly hear it, specially with chinch/xlr cables and capacitors
You can have ideas, but then it is important to be able to explain how it works, 1:45 into the video:

By the way, feel free to check out the entire video. It's too fu**** funny.:)

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I find that finely woven hay makes for vastly improved imaging.

Could have swore I just saw a barn

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
yea mainly because of capacitors is my guess

It's a filter.. on a USB connction. Even if the electrical characteristics changes ever so slightly after a some use, it will have zero influence on the output of the following DAC. There's just no way that line of reasoning can make any sense.

i can also confirm that cable burn in is a thing...

Confirm how? How about a verification instead?

pretty much all electronics tho the only explanation i can give is the audiophile "molecular structure change" with electrons flowing throw it...

There's one more obvious explanation, and you know it :rolleyes:

seriously?

Seriously.

you can skip the pluggin part tho...

Good point. An even better move would be to buy one of the silly things and set up an actual ABX in Foobar2000.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
its alright guys, i give up :facepalm:
giphy.gif

Reactions: SIY

DSJR

Major Contributor
its alright guys, i give up :facepalm:
I've watched a brand new amplifier circuit board being tested straight off the assembly line. Sure the caps need to 'form' but I think you'll find it's less than a minute from very first power on... Having said that my thirty odd year old pro power amp on which I just checked and tweaked the offset adjustments internally, takes around fifteen minutes for these adjustments to stabilise, after which they don't drift especially. Mind you, said amp has some 'hot spots' on the main board so an excuse could be component warm up and slight value change as they do so. I seem to remember most engineers used to only check these adjustments when the amp has had a good few minutes to idle from a 'cold start.'

You want fresh cables? Unlpug everything and then vigorously re-connect, thereby 'cleaning' the connecting pins. VOILA!!! Everything sounds 'brand new' again until the connectors settle back in again (takes as long as you do to adjust ;) ).

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Sharing experiences and/or knowledge and getting ideas and inspiration, I think is the most fun with music and Hifi.Basically every thread on ASR is about that, sharing.:)

The thread with the most posts on ASR? :

The music as the listening are a question of taste.
A taste or a preference are not an experience. I can't taste it for you.

storing

Forum Donor
well, do you hear difference?

No. If you can, would be interesting to extract the audio, cut it up, then do a blind test.

i dont think any of you guys with your "all is a joke" mindset would suffer of a placebo

This is where you're wrong. There is no such mindset amongst most here, it's only perceived by you that way. Skepticism towards certain claims because of prior experience where those claims and accompanying red flags were proven wrong time and time again: yes that is for sure present. But that doesn't mean any hypothesis gets rejected on beforehand. As in: prove 'those guys' wrong (with proper data, that is, not heresay and beliefs) and they'll accept.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sharing experiences and/or knowledge
The music as the listening are a question of taste.
A taste or a preference are not an experience. I can't taste it for you.
If you ask him, he can certainly give some tips on nice songs, in between that he describes how amplifiers work.:)

Edit:
Aha, language confusion, experiences.
In the sense, the mening, for example to have experienced music, some songs. The feeling it gave,, which created preferences, taste. English is not my native language.:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23982

Confirm how? How about a verification instead?
you know... having (apparently good) ears
No. If you can, would be interesting to extract the audio, cut it up, then do a blind test.
foo_abx 2.0.6d report
foobar2000 v1.6.8
2022-01-01 19:12:23

File A: with jitterbug.mp3
SHA1: 118ae1601a9fef7d72466aeb0abfa4f1e103b249
File B: without jitterbug.mp3
SHA1: c66ff1b52654273874115d5b827a2f35d97e974a

Output:
Default : Primary Sound Driver
Crossfading: NO

19:12:23 : Test started.
19:14:37 : 01/01
19:15:27 : 01/02
19:16:26 : 02/03
19:17:04 : 02/04
19:17:32 : 03/05
19:17:49 : 04/06
19:18:19 : 05/07
19:18:51 : 06/08
19:19:08 : 07/09
19:19:29 : 08/10
19:19:42 : 09/11
19:20:04 : 10/12
19:20:28 : 11/13
19:20:44 : 12/14
19:21:09 : 13/15
19:23:37 : 14/16
19:23:37 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 14/16
p-value: 0.0021 (0.21%)

-- signature --
79e86ac2b25f8958d36e99e30549ac4ed8060005

D

Deleted member 23982

There is actually something substantial to discuss, which I do not think you thought of, but it's a big topic: Recap when, why and will it sound audibly better after a recap?
probably, specially with the right brand/model of capacitors, specially after burn in....
when: if you feel like it or some caps went bad :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
probably, specially with the right brand/model of capacitors, specially after burn in....
when: if you feel like it or some caps went bad :)
Howdy @Ghoostknight :D Nearly all of those capacitors are not even in the signal path. They are there to shunt unwanted energy that is wayyy out of your hearing range to ground. There are also some that caps that smooth the output from voltage regulators too. Recapping is not a fix it is called shot-gunning in electronics street speak and it's a method of attempting to fix something without diagnosing the issue at hand and hoping a spray and pray effect will fix the gear.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is actually something substantial to discuss, which I do not think you thought of, but it's a big topic:
Recap: When, why and will it sound audibly better after a recap?
We could start a whole new thread on this. The technicalities might be too technical for some peeps to understand but the general idea could be conveyed.

D

Deleted member 23982

Howdy @Ghoostknight :D Nearly all of those capacitors are not even in the signal path. They are there to shunt unwanted energy that is wayyy out of your hearing range to ground. There are also some that caps that smooth the output from voltage regulators too. Recapping is not a fix it is called shot-gunning in electronics street speak and it's a method of attempting to fix something without diagnosing the issue at hand and hoping a spray and pray effect will fix the gear.
i changed all the (elecrolyte) caps on my topping D10 to Nichicon KZ and could hear a slight improvement :) tho i agree... the added bypass capacitor on the opamps (signal path...) did way more ... like 2-4 times the change of the other caps if i need to put it in words

also i switched the bypass capactor of the LPF opamp back and forth and could distingiush different models (tho no blindtesting)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just found this video about the Jitterbug FMJ and thought i will throw it in
since this dude A/B`s it on camera and there is a clear difference, even with my crappy headphones, tho i already hear the argues :)
:facepalm: Only the fact that the second position is different from the first can account for any difference. YouTube audio tests are always idiotic.

Top Bottom