• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

fabien32

So you are saying that there is "something" that cannot be measured but somehow engineers, who cannot measure it or know what it is and for the most part oblivious to it, can still use it to their advantage... somehow.

As for things unexplained:

god - an attempt to reconcile the world with our own fears and perceptions of it.
love - signals in the brain brought on by hormone-induced chemical reactions.
Maybe you should read about the Eisenberg's Uncertainty Law or Singularity

fabien32

Absolute pitch is a wonderful skill, very useful for piano tuning. For DAC interface testing or design — not so much.
I understand that scientifically testing a measuring help us to improve devices, but to think it superspeed the listening experience in audio devices, is not understanding what is music

fabien32

Great, so is the ocean. You have said nothing new or useful.
In your response to my early post me saying that not everything can be explain scientifically, you said stuff about God and love to imply that everything can be explain scientifically, so I just scientifically proven you that you don't know what you are talking about

DonR

Major Contributor
In your response to my early post me saying that not everything can be explain scientifically, you said stuff about God and love to imply that everything can be explain scientifically, so I just scientifically proven you that you don't know what you are talking about
sure...

fabien32

Great, so is the ocean. You have said nothing new or useful.
And we are measuring individual elementary particles here and you know it, that's why you edited your post! So instead of arguing for the sake of being right, maybe you could evolve and accept that sound that was proven to be quantum in nature and quantum superposition, is more than zero and one

DonR

Major Contributor
And we are measuring individual elementary particles here and you know it, that's why you edited your post! So instead of arguing for the sake of being right, maybe you could evolve and accept that sound that was proven to be quantum in nature and quantum superposition, is more than zero and one
Uncertainty only applies when measurements approach the Planck constant. We are not anywhere near that with audio.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Quantum physic is all about the behavior of waves my friend
Wave function in physics isn't analogous to sounds waves exactly... it's variable quantity that mathematically describes the wave characteristics of a particle, i.e. an equation. It's called a wave function because it takes the form of equations that usually describe waves. There is no quantum mechanical aspect of sound waves and no particle-like properties, sound waves are mechanical waves. Why the need to get so existential about a speaker moving air?

JSmith

fabien32

Uncertainty only applies when measurements approach the Planck constant. We are not anywhere near that with audio.
Quantum behavior happens everywhere all the time, not only when we measured thing near Planck constant. For example when a wave go through a hole or when the Blackbody radiation in which a material or substance completely absorbs all frequencies of light. In contradiction to the laws of thermodynamics, this body was supposed to re-emit as much light as it absorbs. this phenomenon has been seen in many different filled and places.I can write you planty more of example where quantum effects are happening regardless of Planck constant. Honestly you guys keep explaining things you know nothing about, and I'm tired trying to show you that thinking that you know everything about sound is arrogance. So you keep thinking you know everything. Cheers

JSmith

Master Contributor
I'm tired trying to show you that thinking that you know everything about sound is arrogance.
How about then you explain what you know that we don't... how that applies to me listing to music on my couch after work and how it relates to i²s.

JSmith

fabien32

How about then you explain what you know that we don't... how that applies to me listing to music on my couch after work and how it relates to i²s.

JSmith
I'll make it as easy as possible for you to understand me, if when you listen to music on R2R or/and tube, you cannot hear any improvement in the sound, than that it is not for you. saying that people who do are delusional is arrogance. The fact that you can't understand it or explain it is irrelevant. Btw, My wife is a amateur musician and can play on several instruments and yet, she cannot hear the difference between a simple DAC and very good ones. And I say the same thing to her

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
62e36fb0c1375bb7da1a12b9cab54593702cf2ba.gif

JSmith

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Just moved in a bunch more.

The fact that you can't understand it or explain it is irrelevant.

The fact that no one has done more than make claims is, however. No evidence means there is no need to find an explanation.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Quantum behavior happens everywhere all the time, not only when we measured thing near Planck constant. For example when a wave go through a hole or when the Blackbody radiation in which a material or substance completely absorbs all frequencies of light.
Eh, no. That is not black body radiation:

In contradiction to the laws of thermodynamics, this body was supposed to re-emit as much light as it absorbs. this phenomenon has been seen in many different filled and places.
Not sure what you are referring to here? Black holes? They don’t violate thermodynamics. Black holes eventually evaporate. This is in fact a quantum effect.
I can write you planty more of example where quantum effects are happening regardless of Planck constant.
Yeah, next time, make sure they are faculty correct.

Why not bring up an actual example relevant to the subject of audio?
I'll make it as easy as possible for you to understand me, if when you listen to music on R2R or/and tube, you cannot hear any improvement in the sound, than that it is not for you. saying that people who do are delusional is arrogance. The fact that you can't understand it or explain it is irrelevant.
Why change the subject? Let’s keep it to mysterious quantum effects in audio?
Btw, My wife is a amateur musician and can play on several instruments and yet, she cannot hear the difference between a simple DAC and very good ones.
She sounds like a sensible person! It’s a keeper!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Rule of thumb which has, so far, been 100% correct: as soon as quantum mechanics is mentioned in an audio discussion, you can be certain that you're dealing with a shyster or someone who truly understands no physics. Or both.

Top Bottom