• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 AVR Review

Lorenzo74

So the Onkyo RZ50 includes DIRAC for no additional cost and it's working today. Or you can buy the Denon X3800H/Marantz C50 for $1,000 more then spend another $350 in March to get DIRAC. Ooh, and maybe another $500 in 2024 to get multisub support.

Martin
Unfortunately Onkyo has only one sub channel (replicated) while cinema 50 has 4 independent sub output. Making the right Candidate for DiracLive bass management.
now in Europe they have the same cost. Around 1800€.

Ongii

Hello!
When you connect the AVR to a PC, what channel configurations are available? Only 7.1? Or also for example 9.4? thx

18000rpm

Hello!
When you connect the AVR to a PC, what channel configurations are available? Only 7.1? Or also for example 9.4? thx
Are you referring to the Cinema 50? If so these are available, plus Stereo which scrolled offscreen:

1682137251823.png

And bitrates:

1682137294076.png

Ongii

Thank you @18000rpm !
I am asking because I would like to understand if I can create a 5.2 signal on the PC and send it "as is" over HDMI to the Cinema 50, put in direct mode (I think this is the name of the mode in which the signal is not further processed by the AVR).
This procedure would be, in my expectations, an alternative to the missing analog multichannel input.

18000rpm

Thank you @18000rpm !
I am asking because I would like to understand if I can create a 5.2 signal on the PC and send it "as is" over HDMI to the Cinema 50, put in direct mode (I think this is the name of the mode in which the signal is not further processed by the AVR).
This procedure would be, in my expectations, an alternative to the missing analog multichannel input.
I assume you want to create surround PCM sound from the PC to send to the Cinema 50. I believe you can send 5.1 or 7.1 PCM via HDMI, but PC does not support 5.2 since there is no way to address 2 subwoofers in PCM.

There is also no way to send height channels via PCM.

RS200

Is the Dirac license linked to the Cinema 50 AVR? Reason why I'm asking it that I would like to purchase Dirac for my Cinema 50. However, it came out of the box with a scratch so my dealer will swap the device in the near future. Will I lose my license when swapping the AVR?

ArturoKiwi

You'll loose your license because it is binded to the MAC addresses of the avr. The "serial number" of its ethernet port.

RS200

Not so fast... I seem to remember @Flak had mentioned that in such cases you could let Dirac know and they could transfer the license for you. To be sure, you should contact Dirac, or pm flak for confirmation.
Ah thanks @peng! Will do!

Flak

Industry Insider
Ah thanks @peng! Will do!

Hi,

I'm posting the answer here as well as it can be of interest to others:
If your Cinema 50 will be replaced by another Cinema 50 there is no problem, just email us at [email protected] and we'll reset your license so that you'll be able to use it with the replacement AVR.
Please take into account that the license is intended for a specific device... if you'll sell your Cinema 50 you can sell the license with it and we'll assist you with the account and email for your buyer but you cannot use that license for another model.

ArturoKiwi

Hi,

I'm posting the answer here as well as it can be of interest to others:
If your Cinema 50 will be replaced by another Cinema 50 there is no problem, just email us at [email protected] and we'll reset your license so that you'll be able to use it with the replacement AVR.
Please take into account that the license is intended for a specific device... if you'll sell your Cinema 50 you can sell the license with it and we'll assist you with the account and email for your buyer but you cannot use that license for another model.
That is good news in case of a default unit.
But if someone sell the unit, the license is lost.
At least this is what I understand

Flak

Industry Insider
That is good news in case of a default unit.
But if someone sell the unit, the license is lost.
At least this is what I understand
No, the license isn't lost... it's the same as with Onkyo or Pioneer, the license is associated with the AVR and follows it.
It's the owner that changes (on approval by the seller) when the AVR is sold.

ArturoKiwi

No, the license isn't lost... it's the same as with Onkyo or Pioneer, the license is associated with the AVR and follows it.
It's the owner that changes (on approval by the seller) when the AVR is sold.
Exactly, so you lost the license.
Or you have charge the cost of the license on the value of the avr. So you could buy another one for your new avr

Flak

Industry Insider
Exactly, so you lost the license.
Or you have charge the cost of the license on the value of the avr. So you could buy another one for your new avr
I'd choose the second option...

ArturoKiwi

I'd choose the second option...
I hope you find someone who appreciates the license. But I guess it will be easier than trying to get a discounted avr+ license

slacki

@Flak just read you work for dirac. maybe you can report them my opinion: its a joke when people that buy early (like i did) have the disadvantage that they pay more in the end, when a full license + full bass management is bought, because in the end of the year when bass management is available, the full license is cheapter. this is fckd up marketing.
maybe you can give this information to someone. i also wrote to dirac, but their communication just sucks. no response whatsoever. no answer to any of my question(s).

ivo.f.doma

I have a question for those who had TX-RZ50/VSX-LX505 and also Denon3800, 4800/Marantz Cinema50,40.
Which of these receivers is a better, more intuitive and sonically/technically better streamer? I'm mainly interested in Spotify, Amazon Music HD, internet radios and a home archive of recordings on a NAS server or USB stick.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a question for those who had TX-RZ50/VSX-LX505 and also Denon3800, 4800/Marantz Cinema50,40.
Which of these receivers is a better, more intuitive and sonically/technically better streamer? I'm mainly interested in Spotify, Amazon Music HD, internet radios and a home archive of recordings on a NAS server or USB stick.
If you want a high quality streaming solution, then I would say none of those listed. For a solid streaming experience, I recommend investing in a Roon server and/or a BluOS enabled streamer like the Bluesound Node.

Top Bottom