• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major confusion over Motu M2 - a lot of conflicting reviews

Trell

Major Contributor
I have the 2x2HR in one of my systems, very sturdy yes, also one of the interfaces with the most noise free mic inputs out there. It uses Cirrus CS4272 as DAC-chip, which is never used in "HiFi" DAC:s but often used by Focusrite etc in this category of home studio interfaces. Again, subjective, as I haven't done any scientific comparison it sounds very good and I haven't found any shortcoming compared to this threads M.2 except no flashy meters and headphone out is a bit weaker but which is a no problem with easy to drive modern cans. Windows driver is excellent and has caused exactly zero problems.

You mean this one?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I have the 2x2HR in one of my systems, very sturdy yes, also one of the interfaces with the most noise free mic inputs out there. It uses Cirrus CS4272 as DAC-chip, which is never used in "HiFi" DAC:s but often used by Focusrite etc in this category of home studio interfaces. Again, subjective, as I haven't done any scientific comparison it sounds very good and I haven't found any shortcoming compared to this threads M.2 except no flashy meters and headphone out is a bit weaker but which is a no problem with easy to drive modern cans. Windows driver is excellent and has caused exactly zero problems.
Thanks for the confirmation. I did not know what kind of DAC chip is in it. Apparently I can use it for listening in a hi-fi system without any problems as long as I do not want very high resolutions or DSD-Playback. I didn't really expect that because I have some other DACs that have much better specs.

Trell

Major Contributor
Thanks for the confirmation. I did not know what kind of DAC chip is in it. Apparently I can use it for listening in a hi-fi system without any problems as long as I do not want very high resolutions or DSD-Playback. I didn't really expect that because I have some other DACs that have much better specs.
I've over 140 SACD and almost all of them are multi-channel, and I bought them for the multi-channel part.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is funny, for $200 I think it seems very nice. I like the feel of the volume control, and all of the connections feel robust.
I guess it's all relative. I find the volume knob feel to be "too light" for my taste. I agree it's pretty good for the price.

OP
D

DTNT

OK let's put a stop to this.

I actually bought M2 months ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. It's amazing how it sounds, like I really didn't expect to hear that much of an audible difference to my previous interface (Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen).

Bass sounds so tight, controlled and separated. High end sounds really controlled too. The depth of sound is also great.

When it comes to headphone amp, it's second to none. It can feed almost any headphones. I have some pretty hungry ones, and it drives them with ease. The L+R balance is exceptional, there is no imbalance on the headphone output, the thing that many interfaces struggle with, which is really, really important to me.

The option to record from your device back to your interface is a phenomenal addition too.

All in all, I can only say that I absolutely love it. It's an absolute steal to buy it for that price.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
It's nice when there are such good results with the M2. So far, with me, every USB audio device that was powered via USB and not with an external power supply had weaknesses in headphone operation.
When it comes to me, I therefore use a separate headphone amplifier from Topping.

malp

OK let's put a stop to this.

I actually bought M2 months ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. It's amazing how it sounds, like I really didn't expect to hear that much of an audible difference to my previous interface (Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen).

Bass sounds so tight, controlled and separated. High end sounds really controlled too. The depth of sound is also great.

When it comes to headphone amp, it's second to none. It can feed almost any headphones. I have some pretty hungry ones, and it drives them with ease. The L+R balance is exceptional, there is no imbalance on the headphone output, the thing that many interfaces struggle with, which is really, really important to me.

The option to record from your device back to your interface is a phenomenal addition too.

All in all, I can only say that I absolutely love it. It's an absolute steal to buy it for that price.
M2 is great, really.
But the Audient imo is one step ahead regards preamps and output signal.

malp

Ok. I have to update my opinion between ID14 and M2:

After listening both all this days, on my monitores, headphones and comparing, on a mix and some cds being played thru them, and also with headphones, I have come to this conclusion:

M2: is more focused on the mids, the bass and the high freq are a tiny bit rolled off.
ID14 mkII: less mid focused, more bass and high freq (a tiny bit)

I´ve found that the output signal of the ID14 sounds the closest to per ex. my headphones plugged to my CD player or a mix mastered to my hifi home system... if this makes any sense.

it´s a bit difficult for me to express myself in english, it´s not my mother language.

Hope it helps my conclusions.

Cheers!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
After listening both all this days, on my monitores, headphones and comparing, on a mix and some cds being played thru them, and also with headphones, I have come to this conclusion:

Let me guess... No controls were used in these comparisons? Might be more useful if some basic things like levels being matched and being unable to see which is playing are employed.

Maybe this video our host put together will help.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quick question: can I use the M2/4 as a desktop DAC and headphone amp using just a smartphone as source? Or, do these devices need a pc/Mac running software?

malp

Quick question: can I use the M2/4 as a desktop DAC and headphone amp using just a smartphone as source? Or, do these devices need a pc/Mac running software?
The M2 is iOS compatible. The ID14 not sure, need to check.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Let me guess... No controls were used in these comparisons? Might be more useful if some basic things like levels being matched and being unable to see which is playing are employed.

Maybe this video our host put together will help.

Of course not.

The video was linked for him already some 6 days ago plus numerous posters including yourself pointed out the flaw, but he prefers to ignore it and wasting his time with invalid tests and turning in circles.

Post in thread 'Major confusion over Motu M2 - a lot of conflicting reviews'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...lot-of-conflicting-reviews.37570/post-1458545

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The M2 is iOS compatible. The ID14 not sure, need to check.
Thanks - do they work with Android? (I have looked, just can't seem to find a clear answer)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
You know, just because you´ve seen a video of a guy telling you how to test properly something and how it should be made, it doesn´t mean that you are and you will be right about this matter.

I´ve seen the video already, a few days ago and it´s nothing new to me.

Audio will always be subjective, even if you get consistent scientific test results. We all hear a bit differently than the next one. So what might be valid for you, might not be for me. It´s should be common sense when you hear or read an opinion about something to know that it might work or not work for yourself. That´s why we came here, to seek and share, results and opinions.

When I´ve made my tests and comparisons, they are useful and valid for me, I just shared my opinion. Plus, they were made in a valid way. And by the way the multimeter measurements are only valid for loudness only, not audio quality.

I think it´s far worst to assume that someone is an idiot... which is what is just happened here.
So no, thanks.
Paragraph 4 alone makes my point. Sorry you just don’t have the slightest clue what you are talking about and not knowing is ok, but being ignorant is a different matter. @BDWoody and others gave you plenty of friendly hints. Nevermind I am out.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
One Question: (Sorry if this was already answered)

Which DAC Chip is inside the Motu M2 and in the Audient ID14?

Top Bottom