• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

Heyu

ABH2 with the LRS is quite great... You could try a hegel H160 or H190 used as well as the Hegel + Maggie synergy is near perfection. I jumped right passed the LRS and went to 1.7i as I found a deal I couldn't pass up. The LRS is a fun speaker and scales with better amplification/dac.
Those Hegels are nice but I see the watts on low side. Magnepan says the amp power required varies because they have customers with lots of watts and current on their amp and others with low watts like 50 and work just fine. Idk

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It all depends upon how loudly you listen. 80 dB average is very loud to me. Take a look at http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Most people only use a few watts at normal listening levels though Magnepans are less sensitive than many speakers. They are a bit more directional above the deep bass region than conventional speakers buying you around 3 dB according to Magnepan (saving you half the power).

Power (P) in watts is the product of voltage (V) and current (I): P = V * I No matter the amp you cannot get high power without high current and vice-versa. I'd just make sure I had enough watts to meet my listening needs and that the amp is rated for 4-ohm loads.

Saturn94

they have customers with lots of watts and current on their amp and others with low watts like 50 and work just fine. Idk

Of course power needed will vary based on the customers listening habits, room, and setup. But make no mistake, the closer you get to wanting full range dynamic sound, the more power you will need. This is very apparent with Maggies.

Heyu

Of course power needed will vary based on the customers listening habits, room, and setup. But make no mistake, the closer you get to wanting full range dynamic sound, the more power you will need. This is very apparent with Maggies.
In the case of the LRS since they aren't meant to play super loud less power shouldn't matter unless you want to play super loud which in this case you can't?

Saturn94

In the case of the LRS since they aren't meant to play super loud less power shouldn't matter unless you want to play super loud which in this case you can't?

In the right setup/situation, the LRS can play plenty loud (perhaps not super loud/live rock concert levels).

I have no issues playing a wide variety of music and movies at spirited levels (I’ve never actually measured the db level; maybe I’ll do that). My LRS are about 6.5ft from the main listening position, crossed over at 80hz to a very capable sub, and powered with a beefy amp (Parasound Classic 5250, 385 wpc/4 ohms/45 peak amps). Of course, if running the LRS full range, sitting further away/larger room, that will certainly place more limits on how loud they will play at the listening position.

Certainly, the lower the volume one plays, the less power that’s required. If underpowered though for the circumstances, Maggies tend to sound a bit lifeless. Personally, I would err towards more power than I need rather than risk being underpowered.

Last edited:

Heyu

Off Subject but quick question.
Is it normal to hear separation differently from different phono preamps?
I hear guitar plucks exclusively on the right speaker with one preamp and with the other, it comes out of the left speaker.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Sounds like you have the wires crossed. Maybe they have L and R on different sides?

Saturn94

I did a quick SPL measurement (C weighted) playing at what I consider loud; average SPL was 90-91db. LRS had no problem (given my setup).

Heyu

In the right setup/situation, the LRS can play plenty loud (perhaps not super loud/live rock concert levels).

I have no issues playing a wide variety of music and movies at spirited levels (I’ve never actually measured the db level; maybe I’ll do that). My LRS are about 6.5ft from the main listening position, crossed over at 80hz to a very capable sub, and powered with a beefy amp (Parasound Classic 5250, 385 wpc/4 ohms/45 peak amps). Of course, if running the LRS full range, sitting further away/larger room, that will certainly place more limits on how loud they will play at the listening position.

Certainly, the lower the volume one plays, the less power that’s required. If underpowered though for the circumstances, Maggies tend to sound a bit lifeless. Personally, I would err towards more power than I need rather than risk being underpowered.
I may get a sub for my vinyl listening. Do you think the SVS 1000 pro series is good for Maggies? I don't need anything big or a slamming sub.

Saturn94

I may get a sub for my vinyl listening. Do you think the SVS 1000 pro series is good for Maggies? I don't need anything big or a slamming sub.
Opinions vary, but I would have no reservations recommending SVS subs to run with Maggies.

Heyu

Opinions vary, but I would have no reservations recommending SVS subs to run with Maggies.
SVS suggested their 3000 line or 2000 because in my big room the 1000 line would be too low at low to moderate volume. I could be wrong but the 1000 line is fine. I don't listen loud.

Saturn94

SVS suggested their 3000 line or 2000 because in my big room the 1000 line would be too low at low to moderate volume. I could be wrong but the 1000 line is fine. I don't listen loud.
I believe SVS has a good return policy, so you could easily go up the line if needed.

Newman

Major Contributor
Just remember post #1: these are not good speakers, even at the price, so if you are going to tart them up with subs, don’t go overboard.

ie if you are going to put lipstick on a pig, make sure it’s cheap lipstick.

Saturn94

Just remember post #1: these are not good speakers, even at the price, so if you are going to tart them up with subs, don’t go overboard.

ie if you are going to put lipstick on a pig, make sure it’s cheap lipstick.
An opinion.

Many here jumped on the “these speakers aren’t good” bandwagon without ever hearing them in a proper setup.

My experience, and many others, does not match the review. When I read the review it was as if I was reading about a completely different speaker (and I’m a fan of Amir’s reviews). Of course, this is also an opinion. ;)

With Magepan’s return policy on the LRS, there’s very little risk for those who want to try them and form their own opinion.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I thought @amirm 's review was pretty accurate, and I have owned Maggies since around 1979 (and heard them before that), though they are not my main speakers now. I love them for what they do, but their problems are well-documented and align with the review. Amir was very clear about his bias for the subjective listening test.

I do prefer the larger models and the true ribbon tweeters as they have better frequency dispersion, and much prefer using them with a sub as distortion gets very high (10's of %) in the low bass. They are very finicky with regard to placement, and I treat the wall behind them (unless they are in a very large room and well out from the wall) to reduce comb filtering as I hate the way that messes with the image and frequency response. They do not interact with side walls and floor/ceiling as much as conventional speakers, a plus or minus depending on your taste. They can be enveloping due to the large driver area and sound impressive with that huge "wall of sound" hitting you but are not to everyone's taste.

AudioTodd

Basically the ABH2 has such low distortion that it doesn't matter if it has less watts and current that the lrs needs?
I understand clean sound but how about when it's lacking the current?
I don't think the AHB2 lacks the power and current for the LRS, but maybe somebody that can measure what the speaker needs or calculate it from impedance plots can correct me. I do know an AHB2 will drive my 1.7is louder than I really care to listen with the only distress being caused in my ears. I would suspect the smaller panels might compress the sound at a lower sound pressure level, but power can only help so much with that.

I've run .7s and 1.7is with both a single AHB2 and a mono pair and the only time the clipping lights came on was with a single amp with the 1.7is playing the famous Telarc 1812 Overture cannons!

But, as always, YMMV!!!

Newman

Major Contributor
An opinion.
Actually i didn’t state an opinion. You misread.
Many here jumped on the “these speakers aren’t good” bandwagon without ever hearing them in a proper setup.
Haha, a classic fan comeback. A favourite among cable afficionados.
My experience, and many others, does not match the review. When I read the review it was as if I was reading about a completely different speaker (and I’m a fan of Amir’s reviews). Of course, this is also an opinion. ;)

With Magepan’s return policy on the LRS, there’s very little risk for those who want to try them and form their own opinion.
Especially since they are cheap! My point.

Also get a whole bunch of better speakers at the same price point and with good return policies, and very little risk of picking the bad one… if you do blind listening trials. ;)

Saturn94

Actually i didn’t state an opinion. You misread.

Haha, a classic fan comeback. A favourite among cable afficionados.

Especially since they are cheap! My point.

Also get a whole bunch of better speakers at the same price point and with good return policies, and very little risk of picking the bad one… if you do blind listening trials. ;)
“these are not good speakers” is certainly an opinion. “Good” is in the ear of the beholder.

Then there’s the question if the test conditions were appropriate for the speaker type.

Insinuating I‘m a “cable afficionado”? You don’t know me at all.

Speaker preference is such a personal thing. Each user will have to decide for themselves whether a particular speaker is “good” or not.

Don’t misunderstand me. Amir’s reviews are a valuable tool that can greatly help when researching options. But when it comes to speakers, one’s personal preference rules in the end. That‘s why I always tell people auditioning speakers is a must (ideally at home).

Top Bottom