• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

Joppe Peelen

Unless the diaphragm actually stretches along the curve, then the whole thing is just moving back and forth perpendicular to the frame. Which then the curve would do zero for dispersion. I have always assumed this was a visual fake/cheat to give an impression of a curved wavefront launch. ?!?!?!?
in al curved panels there are horizontal strips, (often transparant) without these the whole mylar would be almost flat. you can curve mylar by putting allot of tension vertical and almost no tension horizontal (or you would make it flat again :)) and make the distance vertical where it is supported as small as possible. but it will never be perfectly curved. :(

cabs84

in order to constrain the shape of the curve, ML uses horizontal spacers that break the panel up into multiple vertical segments, right? (edit: what joppe said above, lol) seems to be much different from flat panels (although magnepan has the "buttons" - i've always wondered why they are asymmetric, and how much affect that has on the sound. i should go play with a signal generator)

cabs84

Too bad we don’t have a vote on this one.

A friend of mine loves these. I must say they are the worst speakers I’ve ever had to listen to. Though the owner enjoyed them and imagined I had the same impression. The problem was I was not in his chair. Way too small of a sweet spot for my taste.
did you not get a chance to sit in the sweet spot? i'll admit there is more variation in response than would be desired outside the sweet spot, but i don't think i personally hate the way they sound outside of it - the other aspects of what make MP special are still there (low distortion, fast transients)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MP special are still there (low distortion, fast transients)
I owned Quads ELS63's for a number of years. The MP just don't compare. "fast transients" is a made up audiofool term. Yes low distortion in high frequencies but not in the lows.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
in order to constrain the shape of the curve, ML uses horizontal spacers that break the panel up into multiple vertical segments, right? (edit: what joppe said above, lol) seems to be much different from flat panels (although magnepan has the "buttons" - i've always wondered why they are asymmetric, and how much affect that has on the sound. i should go play with a signal generator)
The "buttons" are to break up modes in the panels. Drive with the right frequency, and you get resonate waves across the panel, one of the drawbacks of large panels. Think of waves when you "flip" a sheet to put it on a bed, or ripples in a piece of paper as you flap it. Similar to break-up modes in conventional cone speakers. Magnepan places the buttons asymmetrically in a pair of speakers so each panel has different modes, making them harder to "add up" and become (more) audible.

cabs84

I owned Quads ELS63's for a number of years. The MP just don't compare. "fast transients" is a made up audiofool term. Yes low distortion in high frequencies but not in the lows.

impulse response, decay then? there has to be some legitimate, non-audiofool term to describe what i'm trying to convey.

i have multiple pairs of dynamic speakers - currently/still own: b&w matrix 3, (in storage) goldenear 3d array, some mirage omnipolars, some custom built stuff for my office based around the dayton RS100 (which i much prefer to a kit built pair of GR research desktop minis - anyone wanna buy a pair for pennies on the dollar? i even did a great job routing the edges) have previously owned energy and mission bookshelves. i've never heard quads but have heard wonderful things about them. i listen to music on all of my systems but nothing draws me in quite the same way as when i listen on the LRS. i have never noticed an issue with enough distortion in lower frequencies, then again i don't listen to them loudly at all.

Joppe Peelen

The "buttons" are to break up modes in the panels. Drive with the right frequency, and you get resonate waves across the panel, one of the drawbacks of large panels. Think of waves when you "flip" a sheet to put it on a bed, or ripples in a piece of paper as you flap it. Similar to break-up modes in conventional cone speakers. Magnepan places the buttons asymmetrically in a pair of speakers so each panel has different modes, making them harder to "add up" and become (more) audible.
Well yes and no, breakup resonance.. well yeah you make the main resonance smaller but its more about creating new ones... to fill some voids. doing them asymmetrical gives you the ability to fill in as much as possible.

Dismayed

erm ML has little to no idea how size works with frequency (im sure they know but dont care)... huge panel with slight curve that does nothing. so terible vertical but also terible horizontal. then crossed to a cheap woofer... besides that for a ESL worst distortion since they used the dumb curved idea instead of flat ! and no segmentation.. so ML might be the worst from all ESL's
besides that a magnepan is not a ESL...

istill do wonder how well the klipppel works , ever tried a CBT ? since that would be magepan like size but should rock any other speaker in terms of constant beamwidth.. i hope the klippel would do this correct to be honest. if not you can ditch all the measurements made so far. i belive amir measured a JBL version though. so actually it should work
I spent many hours listening to my cousin's Magnepan speakers, but I bought Martin Logans for myself. We had to take turns sitting in the sweet spot when listening to the Magnepans. Thanks, but I'll pass. The Logans are far superior.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I spent many hours listening to my cousin's Magnepan speakers, but I bought Martin Logans for myself. We had to take turns sitting in the sweet spot when listening to the Magnepans. Thanks, but I'll pass. The Logans are far superior.
Did you write that backward? Magnepans have a tall thin ribbon tweeter, a line source that gives even dispersion of the treble. Martin Logans reproduce the treble on a panel wider than the wavelength of treble frequencies, causing uneven / beamy dispersion.

Dismayed

Did you write that backward? Magnepans have a tall thin ribbon tweeter, a line source that gives even dispersion of the treble. Martin Logans reproduce the treble on a panel wider than the wavelength of treble frequencies, causing uneven / beamy dispersion.
No, I have it right.

Joppe Peelen

any magnepan except the Pure ribbon have not the best dispersion, a ML although curved has a bad dispersion horizontal as well :) on both you would take turns to have the best possible outcome in the sweet spot. even with normal speaker you would. since you will hear one louder in any case.

I have a set of 1.7 quasi ribbons, LRS+ also quasi and the 3.6 older pure ribbons and I used to sell Martin Logans and the LRS+ and the 3.6 are far more revealing than the Martin Logan driven with a high quality amp . The electrostatic are a bit easier to drive than the magnetic planer. So if you’re using a smaller or not a high current amplifier then you can get that result.

Dismayed

Then it must have been one of the Magnepan models that doesn't have the ribbon tweeter (like the LRS reviewed here).
It was long ago - 1980’s.

Dismayed

I have a set of 1.7 quasi ribbons, LRS+ also quasi and the 3.6 older pure ribbons and I used to sell Martin Logans and the LRS+ and the 3.6 are far more revealing than the Martin Logan driven with a high quality amp . The electrostatic are a bit easier to drive than the magnetic planer. So if you’re using a smaller or not a high current amplifier then you can get that result.
I drive my Logans with an Aragon 8008BB. Plenty of power.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I drive my Logans with an Aragon 8008BB. Plenty of power.
I listened the ELS mid model and quite liked them. They had decent dispersion so a couple people could listen at the same time.

BogdanR

I disagree electrostatics are easier to drive. They tend to present lower impedance at high frequencies along with a (sometimes high) reactive load. Usually one needs an amp with a good current reserve, capable of driving those amps into sometimes very low resulting impedances.

On the other hand magnetic planars are inefficient so they need good power in order to “come alive” but their impedance curve is mostly resistive and more … ummm… benign? There are no surprises hidden in the load they present to an amplifier.

Modern designs of electrostats have dealt somewhat with these issues, or so it is claimed by the manufacturers.

I’m however quite happy with my Rotel driving my Maggies. Plenty of power, great control.

Gwreck

any magnepan except the Pure ribbon have not the best dispersion, a ML although curved has a bad dispersion horizontal as well :) on both you would take turns to have the best possible outcome in the sweet spot. even with normal speaker you would. since you will hear one louder in any case.
Roger Sanders who invented the CLS design discusses pretty clearly why he gave up on the curved panel due to multiple reasons. http://sanderssoundsystems.com/technical-white-papers/147-dispersion-white-paper

MRC01

Major Contributor
I disagree electrostatics are easier to drive. They tend to present lower impedance at high frequencies along with a (sometimes high) reactive load. Usually one needs an amp with a good current reserve, capable of driving those amps into sometimes very low resulting impedances.
True, though this is mitigated by the fact that the low impedance is at high frequencies, where musical energy is low.

... On the other hand magnetic planars are inefficient so they need good power in order to “come alive” but their impedance curve is mostly resistive and more … ummm… benign? There are no surprises hidden in the load they present to an amplifier.
Yep. Also due to their smooth flat-ish impedance curve, planars like the 3.6/R (which go from 4.25 Ohm in bass to 3.3 in treble) consequently have relatively linear phase / flat group delay.

Your point that planar magnetics aren't hard to drive, they just need lots of power, is spot-on.

Top Bottom