• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico M9 on the Klippel NFS

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
tenor.gif

:D

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
8260 is the best;)

I'm not sure. Someone pointed out the power response of some of The Ones is smoother and might be more important than the on and off axis measurements, and the wide dispersion may only be an advantage in mono testing as there isn't really data to back it up.

Unfortunately just shipping boxes to me from Genelec USA is ~$150 and then even more I imagine sending them to Amir.... Though the Genelec rep did mention something about the price being by volume for their carrier whether it had much weight or not.

Curious with how well that Barefoot did. Maybe the bass extension would help the 8260 a lot.

In any case... Where are the measurements of the Magico? Silly to show something and then not release the data.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

This is encouraging. This is progress. This is the influence of ASR and others (@hardisj Erin, @napilopez, et al...).
Truth to be told, Magico and to some extent YGA , have always straddled objective measurements and the High End pseudo-scientific subjectivity babble .. There may be some others but these two have espoused , rigid metal construction and decent measurements, perhaps better than the usual high end speaker manufacturer.
Change seems to be coming albeit slowly. My optimist takes on this development.
As for this being as good as an M2, a Genelec or a Neumann.. Let's wait for independent measurements.
If I were them I would punish both Amir and Erin with a review sample :p

Last edited:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In any case... Where are the measurements of the Magico? Silly to show something and then not release the data.
To be fair though, even our highly esteemed Revel/Harman is horrible at this! Example: Can you show me where on Revel's (or JBL's) website they post their CEA2034 plots for all their products? I don't think it exists.

We hear endlessly about how Revel/Harman pioneered the CEA2034 and the science etc. etc., and yet the only place I can find them is by digging through the internet to fish out images from some slide etc. (or some fan-made compilation thereof). Of course, some credit is due to Revel for at least having published them somewhere, even if it's really hard to find them.

But I think even Dr. Toole commented on this and said it was an uphill battle with marketing/sales just to get them to publish measurements at all, let alone have them available officially on the product specs. I certainly hope movements like ASR can help change this though, and help those people realize how huge a differentiation such measurements can be for a product :)

Last edited:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't suppose they'd be publishing the results. Not that most of the people buying these speakers would care
I'd actually love to see a Klippel measurement of a Magico, perhaps one of their "cheaper" products like their $65K Magico M2 :)

I've heard the Magico M2 in a showroom before, and it sounded great. The room was very different acoustically from my own though, so I can't really say how it would compare to e.g. a Revel Salon2 or F328Be, but it certainly did not sound bad. Aside from maybe a subtle upper midrange recession (which could have been due to the room), I didn't notice any flaws stand out (which is something I've now come to expect from most expensive "audiophile" speakers, after being familiar with well-engineered neutral speakers).

Last edited:
Top Bottom