• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico - 2022 interview with Alon Wolf - he's a big measurements guy

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But the Infinity IL60 is better still; in fact much better according to your list. At a fraction of the price, why would one settle for an expensive Genelec?
The IL60 spinorama is an old one from the manufacturer and quite smoothed so in reality it will be probably lower, also it has kind of integrated subwoofer which goes deep and increases the score, so you should be compare it rather to the "with sub" scores.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regardless, the results are phenomenal. Best overall highs I heard.
Never said otherwise. I'm happy to leave the subjective assessment to others.

This is a physical behavior of a pistonic dome
No, not to the extent you think. For the frequency response measured for the Magico A5, you have to intervene accordingly in the speaker design, by XO and or WG, dome form, motor design.
The axis frequency response does not correspond to the radiation behavior of a "normal" SOTA Be dome.
1664141045793.png1664141123397.png

Bliesma dome tweeters are as minimalist as possible in terms their tweeter front design and SOTA measurement wise. There is not the smallest WG (this is of course not an advantage in itself, but must fit the speaker design, but ideal for our experiment).

Let's just compare the half-space radiation of both the 25mm Be and diamond dome tweeter with the BEM simulation of an ideal 25mm dome with 4mm height.
1664142697692.png 1664142719980.png

Please ignore the frequency response below 2kHz of the ideal tweeter, because I left the tweeter motor design with default values.

In red the axis frequency responses of the two real tweeter and the simulation are shown (all on and off axis color match).
The frequency responses are without crossover and baffle influences, so please concentrate on the range above 7kHz, where the influence of the baffle is hardly present:

1664145280846.png
Half space FR source was hificompass.com.

Up to about 13kHz the simulation agrees very well with the real dome tweeter measurements. Between 7-15kHz the frequency response drop is on-axis and at 15° about 1-2dB. According to the A5 measurements shown above, the FR drop of the A5 at 15kHz is about two to three times as large.

With the usual 50dB scaling, the on-axis result would look like this:
1664146012990.png

In the old Magico A5 thread I did not succeed in convincing the "Magico followers" by facts that the FR drop of the A5 above 7kHz is not the natural behavior of a piston like BE dome - hope is the last thing to die ;) As already said the crossover (possibly in combination with the WG) is likely to result in the FR drop.

The FR drop is not in itself good or bad, but just a fact and not natural piston like behavior.

This is a physical behavior of a pistonic dome (I have seen your basic simulation on the link you sent, they are not considering materials behavior, true pistonic cone will exhibit some frq cancelation due to its shape, the exact same frq are propagating with an offset, they will not arrive at the mic in unison, creating slight phase anomalies
The BEM software used matches reality pretty well as long as the real driver shows piston-like behavior. What is missing in standard simulations are the surround influences (surround modes, exact 3-D dimensions of surround,...).
1664147898620.png 1664147917007.png
As long as the used dome material shows piston-like behavior, the material differences are negligible.

again look at the other response i provided, the frq level return after the initial roll-off, that is not following your premise)
The manufacturer's document you linked shows ungated, heavyly smoothed in-room measurements of the A3 that are not very useful.
You can see that the frequency responses differ significantly at +-15, +-30... despite the symmetrical hor layout of the drivers on the baffle:

UPDATE: I misinterpreted the measurement. So ignore the above. The measurements are gated, therefore useful.
1664144179788.png
The Klippel NFS and Stereophiles gated "kind of listening window" measurements of the A5 shown above are much more meaningful.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The fixed link for the second interview after it was removed by the uploader for some reason...

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
My gripe is lack of transparency (manufacturer's OWN measurements while charging a high price).
Once you (as a company) make engineering claims please do provide the proof of your engineering.
3rd party measurement is just as good as 1st party - some may say better

So it already shows good engineering. Regardless what they out on marketing page

HenryB

No, not to the extent you think. For the frequency response measured for the Magico A5, you have to intervene accordingly in the speaker design, by XO and or WG, dome form, motor design.
From JA review: " As with the Magico M2 that I reviewed in February 2020 and JCA reviewed in March 2021, the use of a pistonic tweeter with a high-Q ultrasonic dome response results in a lack of energy in the region below that resonance."

The axis frequency response does not correspond to the radiation behavior of a "normal" SOTA Be dome.
It is not a SOTA Be if it does not follow that pattern (i.e. not as pistonic - simple physics ). Early Magico Be tweeters were like that as well.
The manufacturer's document you linked shows ungated, heavyly smoothed in-room measurements of the A3 that are not very useful.
You can see that the frequency responses differ significantly at +-15, +-30... despite the symmetrical hor layout of the drivers on the baffle:
View attachment 233309
The Klippel NFS and Stereophiles gated "kind of listening window" measurements of the A5 shown above are much more meaningful.
This is not "manufacturer's document", but a 3rd party review and are indeed, unsmoothed (or minimal smoothing) gated measurements. Taken by no other then Martin Colloms.

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From JA review: " As with the Magico M2 that I reviewed in February 2020 and JCA reviewed in March 2021, the use of a pistonic tweeter with a high-Q ultrasonic dome response results in a lack of energy in the region below that resonance."
I can agree with that one hundred percent. This is often particularly pronounced with Al-dome tweeter, since the break-up resonance is significantly below that of Be-dome tweeter the FR below 20kHz is modified by the resonance.
As example the Seas Al-dome 27TBC/G 1'' tweeter:
1664217249888.png
Due to the pronounced break-up resonance, the frequency response drops from about 15kHz - so the effect is not very dramatic.
But this is exactly the reason why Be-domes are used, because they succeed in shifting the break-up resonance significantly above 30kHz.

As an example, a less "good" 1'' Be-dome tweeter (in terms of break-up resonance) from ScanSpeak. Break-up resonance is at 31-32kHz:
1664217747308.png

Two "better" 1'' Be tweeter from ScanSpeak (the second uses a "tweeter phase plug" to attenuate the resonance):
1664218171565.png 1664218188517.png

And the SOTA 1'' Be tweeter from Bliesma.
The break-up resonance is at an incredible 44 kHz and is hardly noticeable at all. When I refer to SOTA, I am not referring the flat FR up to 20kHz, but to the 44kHz break-up resonance.
1664218262766.png
Sources: hificompass.com
As you can easily see, there is no frequency response drop below 20kHz, just as our simulation of an ideal tweeter predicts.

Here's what your Stereophile links say:
The FuzzMeasure measurement with the QTC-40 confirmed that the M2's response rises again above 20kHz, with a small peak present at 22.5kHz and a higher-level peak close to 35kHz.
It seems that Magico have the break-up resonances of their Be tweeter less well under control than for example ScanSpeak and Bliesma.

This is also shown by the unsmoothed measurement of the Magico tweeter you linked. Had not yet taken a very close look at the frequency response of the Magico Be tweeter. There seems to be a few problems.
1664220747008.png

The break-up resonance is at 28kHz, which is in the frequency range of or is exceeded by very good 1'' Al-tweeter. For a 1'' Be-dome tweeter I would expect a break-up resonance >30kHz. The Bliesma 1.3'' Be-dome tweeter for example has a break-up resonance of 31kHz.

The V-shaped dip at 14kHz might not be caused (or only) by the 28kHz break-up resonance, but by the waveguide.

It is not a SOTA Be if it does not follow that pattern (i.e. not as pistonic - simple physics ). Early Magico Be tweeters were like that as well.
Not sure if I understand this sentence correctly. As I said above, there are possibilities to cause an early frequency response drop also by the tweeter design:
For the frequency response measured for the Magico A5, you have to intervene accordingly in the speaker design, by XO and or WG, dome form shape, motor design.
For example, the tweeter dome shape can be used to influence the radiation pattern of the tweeter. Then you would still have piston-like behavior but a frequency response drop.
With a 1'' dome tweeter you can influence the radiation by the dome height. Of course, the break-up resonance changes to lower frequencies if the optimal stiffness of the dome design is not considered.
As example a simulation of a 1'' dome tweeter with 3, 5, 7mm height:
1664224362715.png1664223097716.png 1664223119252.png1664223149324.png
However, if the best possible break-up resonance is no longer achieved with such a design, this would be a dubious design decision, since I can easily achieve similar frequency response drop via the crossover - of course I can't influence the radiation with the XO with, but to do that you use a WG.

a 3rd party review and are indeed, unsmoothed (or minimal smoothing) gated measurements. Taken by no other then Martin Colloms
You are right, I misinterpreted the measurement :facepalm: With +-15° the vertical measurement is meant (not horizontal as I meant) and these should of course differ.
Fixed it in my previous post.

Last edited:

HenryB

And the SOTA 1'' Be tweeter from Bliesma.
The break-up resonance is at an incredible 44 kHz and is hardly noticeable at all. When I refer to SOTA, I am not referring the flat FR up to 20kHz, but to the 44kHz break-up resonance.
View attachment 233410
But that's not how it works my friend, it's the other way around. The more pistonic the dome the higher the resonance Q will be (for the same mass). This Bliesma example shows a more damped (less pistonic, or heavier - not conducive for a tweeter) response (and talk about smoothing and scale, please :rolleyes:). You can't eat the cake and have it too :)

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But that's not how it works my friend, it's the other way around. The more pistonic you are the higher the resonance Q will be.
This Bliesma example shows a more damped (less pistonic) response. You can't eat the cake and have it too
I don't know much about materials science, but it makes sense that the higher the Q value of the resonance, the "stiffer" the dome material might behave near the resonance.

But the question is how good is the piston like behavior up to 20kHz?
If the tweeter Be-dome shows "damping" behavior way above 20kHz and thus the negative influence of the break-up resonance is completely avoided, all the better. Up to 20kHz, the Bliesma tweeter shows very good agreement with an simulated "ideal tweeter" of similar dimensions - as shown in the posts above. The small deviations in the frequency response are probably caused by the tweeter surround.

What is the on-axis frequency response for an ideal 1'' tweeter? You don't believe my simulations, but maybe the simulations from a B&W 801 whitepaper. Simulation of an ideal "rigid" tweeter, Al-dome and diamond-dome tweeter (a Be-dome would be somewhere between Al and Diamond):
1664273727679.png
The ideal 1'' tweeter shows almost no frequency response drop up to 20kHz (about -1dB) and at 10kHz no drop at all.
The simulation software I use is a bit more complex and provides the simulation for the motor, tweeter surround and possible motor-dome resonances as well (don't ask me details I'm not a professional user), so there are slight deviations from the "absolute ideal" of B&W who probably only simulated the tweeter dome stiffness with an ideal surround and motor.
1664274657093.png 1664275512601.png 1664275898011.png
For the axis frequency response (orange plot) from 7-20kHz we get completely identical results.

All deviations from the shown behavior no longer correspond to an "ideal-natural" tweeter and are caused intentionally or unintentionally by the motor, dome, surround and front plate/WG.

Therefore, the frequency response drop of the Magico A5 above 7kHz (if the measurements are correct) is just not the natural or ideal behavior of a pistonic tweeter. It has been intentionally or unintentionally designed or tuned that way.

If the ideal tweeter gets a simple waveguide, we get a radiation pattern similar to the A5 (without breakup resonance):
1664280467312.png 1664280546052.png 1664282697391.png
Downward sloping axis frequency response and a possible resonance/interference spot at 14kHz caused by the WG (see last image - 14.5kHz sonogram).

If the Magico tweeter be-dome resonance at 28kHz is really responsible for the frequency response drop above 10kHz, then this is a design problem.
The marketing department can then say this is the natural radiation behavior of a "pistonic tweeter" and conceal the statement "if it has a pronounced resonance at 28kHz".

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to trash the tweeter, but if someone asks why the axial frequency response drops significantly from 7kHz and the marketing department answers that this is the natural-ideal-optimal (you name it) pistonic behavior of a 1'' tweeter, then doubts should be raised.

Update: Sorry for making the same point a hundred times - I'm old.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Here are Stereophile measurements, I think models are from most expensive to least.

These were designed before they got their Klippel 2 years ago, so it will be interesting to see future products measurements.

They all have similar drop-off after 10kHz (all have Beryllium tweeter).

All 3 have bass bump at 80Hz - likely deliberate

View attachment 232271

View attachment 232272

View attachment 232273

Isn't that bump around 80hz because of how Stereophile measures?

Anyway, good speakers. Should have a little less treble roll-off and they are crazy expensive, but at least you are getting a well designed loudspeaker.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't that bump around 80hz because of how Stereophile measures?
Yes, that appears in all their measurements to one degree or another.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The elephant in the room is that if you can afford Magicos, you're probably beyond the age where you can hear much above 12kHz. It is still interesting from an engineering standpoint.

I'll also note, even for young ears it's tough to distinguish small changes in level above 10kHz.

Last edited:

HenryB

If the Magico tweeter be-dome resonance at 28kHz is really responsible for the frequency response drop above 10kHz, then this is a design problem.
The marketing department can then say this is the natural radiation behavior of a "pistonic tweeter" and conceal the statement "if it has a pronounced resonance at 28kHz".
I don’t care about the “marketing department”, I understand physics. An actual piston dome will behave like that, period (that is the "ideal" cone tweeter, ideal does not mean perfect). When you see a “flatter” response above 10K from a 1” dome, it's mainly “not-fully” correlated energy reproduction (more noise then anything meaningful). A 1” dome tweeter can’t produce accurate information above 10K due to the inherent cancelation shape pattern, think comb filtering effect, (already explained that - I hope you are reading my posts). For "real" output over 10K at same SPL, or more, as 5K, you need a line source or a smaller dim cone, but both will have their own unique issues as well.

BTW, if you take Magico plot and scale it to the Bliesma plot, you will see that they are somewhat similar, but with a clear edge to the Magico one (Due to the ridiculous amount of smoothing and even more ridicules scale, you can't tell much about that Bliesma tweeter anyway).

1664296800147.png

I am not sure about the A3 breakup point; in other plots, it is much higher (I assume same tweeter for all A series?). https://www.magico.net/images/Reviews/A5/HFNJul21Combined.pdf

And yes, I don't care much about your simulations (you can stop these ;)) , they are not considering very critical aspects (materials, BK point, surrounds etc.) and are giving you fictional results.

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t care about the “marketing department” I understand physics. An actual piston dome will behave like that, period (that is the "ideal" cone tweeter, ideal does not mean perfect). When you see a “flatter” response above 10K from a 1” dome, it's mainly “not-fully” correlated energy reproduction (more noise then anything meaningful). A 1” dome tweeter can’t produce accurate information above 10K due to the inherent cancelation shape pattern. Think comb filtering effect, but from one surface (already explain that - I hope you are reading my posts). For that, you need a line source or a smaller dim cone, both have their issues as well.
I read your posts, but you don't write in much detail, which sometimes makes it hard for me to follow - some simulations or diagrams or links to detailed information would help.

In addition, you confuse some concepts. For example, you cite the axial frequency response of the Accuton tweeters as confirmation of the Magico tweeter frequency response.
You write about this:
This is a physical behavior of a pistonic dome (I have seen your basic simulation on the link you sent, they are not considering materials behavior, true pistonic cone will exhibit some frq cancelation due to its shape, the exact same frq are propagating with an offset, they will not arrive at the mic in unison, creating slight phase anomalies - again look at the other response i provided, the frq level return after the initial roll-off, that is not following your premise) . Have a look at another pistonic case; diamond tweeter response, note a similar pattern (https://accuton.com/en-home/produkte/lautsprecher/diamant/Diamant-BD25-6-258-CELL).
Accuton tweeter have a concave dome, not a convex like the Magico.
This is a completely different concept and leads to different radiation behavior. You are right that the on-axis frequency response of the Accuton tweeter is kind of similar to that of the Magico A5, but the reason for the unusual FR is the convex dome of the Accuton tweeter.

This can also be shown quite easily by doing one of these simulations that don't interest you at all.
Accuton tweeter:
1664303870057.png
I don't know the exact dimensions of the Accuton tweeter, so this is just a rough simulation.
Sketch of the concave dome 1'' tweeter, comparison of frequency response simulation of convex and concave tweeter with Accuton 1'' tweeter measurement:
1664307018355.png 1664307344874.png
Up to 20kHz the agreement of the concave dome tweeter simulation with the real tweeter measurement is very good. Above that, the break-up resonance of the tweeter affects the frequency response significantly, which the ideal tweeter does not have.

A 1” dome tweeter can’t produce accurate information above 10K due to the inherent cancelation shape pattern, think comb filtering effect, but from one surface (already explain that - I hope you are reading my posts).
Can you elaborate on that a little bit. I know the cancellation due to path length differences in ideal tweeter in the range 50-70kHz. As in this example of a simulated 1'' tweeter at 55kHz.
1664309140027.png
What do you mean exactly? Maybe a link to it?

BTW, if you take Magico plot and scale it to the Bliesma plot, you will see that they are somewhat similar, but with a clear edge to the Magico one (Due to the ridiculous amount of smoothing and even more ridicules scale, you can't tell much about that Bliesma tweeter anyway).
No one had any questions about the A3's on-axis frequency response (you brought the A3 in). It was always about the early frequency response drop (above 7kHz) of the A5. As your link shows again.
1664309013733.png
According to your argumentation, the tweeter of the A3 should be "worse" than that of the A5, since the tweeter follows the "bad" on-axis FR of the Bliesma dome ;)

HenryB

I read your posts, but you don't write in much detail, which sometimes makes it hard for me to follow
Looks like my ability, and time it takes, to convey concepts is rather limited. You win, Magico is crap and Bliesma is amazing, congratulations!

Last edited:

Soundstage

The IL60 spinorama is an old one from the manufacturer and quite smoothed so in reality it will be probably lower, also it has kind of integrated subwoofer which goes deep and increases the score, so you should be compare it rather to the "with sub" scores.
I look at the score without sub because this is what your get for the money. Integrating the subwoofer costs money and time and ultimately produces a different speaker altogether.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The early pricing of the A-series, especially the A3 and A5, was actually quite reasonable for the materials and manufacturing involved. Chiefly by outsourcing machining to a specialist firm in the US with economies of scale, slightly simpler bracing and less dramatic roundovers/chamfering. The A5 started out priced for a relatively small premium over the Revel 328Be and Salon 2s, but have gradually risen since.

The M and Q-series stuff is just overkill, though at least well-engineered with a subtle refined aesthetic.
Yes, the A3 was very reasonably priced when first launched. And I wish I had jumped on the nice used set that were priced at $7,000 a few months ago.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I look at the score without sub because this is what your get for the money. Integrating the subwoofer costs money and time and ultimately produces a different speaker altogether.
This is neither simple though as loudspeakers with linear deep bass which gets awarded with a higher score also need significant "integration effort" in typical living rooms and placements in form of room correction.

Top Bottom