• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico - 2022 interview with Alon Wolf - he's a big measurements guy

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good eye. The cable-lifters (and amp stands) do cast supreme doubt. I am waiting for a real measurement guru to bring their gear to a show, throw it into a room with no-name cables, turn the volume up and make music. I mean, wouldn't it be authentic for your gear to sound good without all that BS?
Those cable lifters allow mice and insects to pass under the cables.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those cable lifters allow mice and insects to pass under the cables.
And the really expensive lifters allow them to pass under the cables in style.

Tim Link

Forum Donor
And the really expensive lifters allow them to pass under the cables in style.
They appreciate the difference! Seriously though, I think it'd be cool if they looked like little power wire poles and the cables actually hung on little springs under the cross pieces. You know those stubby little poles that often run along train tracks? You could include a model railway set with the whole presentation.

A friend of mine once explained those short power poles near train tracks. He said the train rumble causes the power poles to sink into the ground over time. There are special cars with a little crane on them that come by from time to time to pull them back up so they don't sink too far.

I think aesthetically their could be a place for cable lifters rather than just having them sitting there on the floor. If you're going to be seeing your cables they should look good. I'm always seeing my cables and they don't look particularly good.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Good eye. The cable-lifters (and amp stands) do cast supreme doubt. ...

Why doubt? We don't think the speakers will sound better/worse. But expecting a vendor offering fabulously expensive speakers to not offer you the full range of fashion accessories seems a bit churlish.

... I think aesthetically their could be a place for cable lifters rather than just having them sitting there on the floor. If you're going to be seeing your cables they should look good. I'm always seeing my cables and they don't look particularly good.

Yes I don't really like seeing my speaker cables slumming it on the floor, but haven't done anything about it yet. When ASR opens a merch line including some pink panther cable lifters, I'm down for a set. Hopefully weighted to not fall over and tall enough to hold the cables just so while the robot vacuum cleaner whirrs industriously around and underneath.

85101308_2660147850698987_1010943419243036672_o-2.jpg

I did peruse this photo a while back, but just noticed the subwoofer. Completes a very nice setup, aesthetically (as well as sonically I imagine).

MAB

Major Contributor
Why doubt? We don't think the speakers will sound better/worse. But expecting a vendor offering fabulously expensive speakers to not offer you the full range of fashion accessories seems a bit churlish.
Because there is a chance that some of the effort and expense Magico puts into these speakers results in better sound. But cable-lifters have zero chance of better sound, 100% chance of ripoff. So, when a supposedly serious manufacturer shows up with a carnival-prop like cable-lifters, I immediately start looking to see if the pitch is being delivered by a mentalist. I think it's more like my paranoia than my churlishness. The prices for cable-lifters seems mean-spirted.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Because there is a chance that some of the effort and expense Magico puts into these speakers results in better sound. But cable-lifters have zero chance of better sound, 100% chance of ripoff.

Well, we know that much of Magico's effort and expense benefits their sonics (leaving aside any dreary value-for-money fixations) and we've agreed cable-lifters don't influence sonics. But rip-off? If I want my speaker cables tidily organised and off the floor for practical and aesthetic reasons I'm free to select devices that do this at prices ranging from functional to fashionable. The chance of rip-off only occurs if I think I'm trading money for better sound, which in my case is 0%, and across the general population, a number <100%.

So, when a supposedly serious manufacturer shows up with a carnival-prop like cable-lifters, I immediately start looking to see if the pitch is being delivered by a mentalist. I think it's more like my paranoia than my churlishness. The prices for cable-lifters seems mean-spirted.

Yes, paranoia is a better word, if that's how you feel. Re "carnival-prop" aesthetic responses are subjective of course, but the cable lifters in @RayDunzl's photo improve the visual presentation to my eye (even if they don't make a difference to my ear).

MAB

Major Contributor
Well, we know that much of Magico's effort and expense benefits their sonics (leaving aside any dreary value-for-money fixations) and we've agreed cable-lifters don't influence sonics. But rip-off? If I want my speaker cables tidily organised and off the floor for practical and aesthetic reasons I'm free to select devices that do this at prices ranging from functional to fashionable. The chance of rip-off only occurs if I think I'm trading money for better sound, which in my case is 0%, and across the general population, a number <100%.
I am pretty sure they sound terrific, even if they are out of my price range. Almost no doubt about both! :)
Yes, paranoia is a better word, if that's how you feel. Re "carnival-prop" aesthetic responses are subjective of course, but the cable lifters in @RayDunzl's photo improve the visual presentation to my eye (even if they don't make a difference to my ear).
I don't care for the look or the cost of cable lifters. And they aren't cheap. But, the carnival-prop aspect is about what they are, not how they look.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Please, don't blaim Magico about those cable lifters. It is the vendor https://www.suncoastaudio.com/pages/brands

Axo1989

Major Contributor
... I don't care for the look or the cost of cable lifters. And they aren't cheap. But, the carnival-prop aspect is about what they are, not how they look.

No, what they are (in my application) is cable management. No carnival required. My budget doesn't really stretch to Magico (much as I like them) or Shunyata (liking not so much) but there are many other options.

Reactions: MAB

symphara

Please, don't blaim Magico about those cable lifters. It is the vendor https://www.suncoastaudio.com/pages/brands

Wow, I just saw this: "In addition to the patented energy-field neutralization…"

Had Obi-Wan had this when they fought Darth Maul, he could have joined Qui-Gon sooner, thus avoiding his master’s death, by neutralizing the energy fields. Sun Coast Audio needs to market more, across the galaxy, they can save lives!

MAB

Major Contributor
Wow, I just saw this: "In addition to the patented energy-field neutralization…"

Had Obi-Wan had this when they fought Darth Maul, he could have joined Qui-Gon sooner, thus avoiding his master’s death, by neutralizing the energy fields. Sun Coast Audio needs to market more, across the galaxy, they can save lives!
Good point. And Palpatine could have avoided getting Force-Lightning burns on his face when he battled Mace Windu. I have to think getting roasted like that messed with him and led him down an even more evil path. I dunno...

symphara

Good point. And Palpatine could have avoided getting Force-Lightning burns on his face when he battled Mace Windu. I have to think getting roasted like that messed with him and led him down an even more evil path. I dunno...
In fairness Palpatine has major issues stopping his own Force Lightning, he keeps frying himself.

Reactions: MAB

OShag

Alon is a person I respect and admire. He has pursued his dream and seen it become successful. Yes very obsessed with measurements and flat frequency response as every speaker design engineer should be.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
All 3 have bass bump at 80Hz - likely deliberate
That is a measurement error due to near-field testing. It is there on almost all of the stereophile measurements.

Top Bottom