• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico - 2022 interview with Alon Wolf - he's a big measurements guy

D

Deleted member 4708

Wilson Audio and Magico provide 0 measurements. They demo their speakers with cable lifters then claim they are into engineering / measurements...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Wilson Audio and Magico provide 0 measurements. They demo their speakers with cable lifters then claim they are into engineering / measurements...
There exist Magico measurements that are very good... big difference with Wilson

D

Deleted member 4708

There exist Magico measurements that are very good... big difference with Wilson
Where on their site are the measurements? As for very good - what's their preference rating score? I have not seen any Magico in top 20.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Where on their site are the measurements? As for very good - what's their preference index? I have not seen any Magico in top 20.
Have you read this thread?

There are good 3rd party measurements shared.

3rd party better than 1st party

HenryB

And here is one by Magico, taken from this forum:
index.php

D

Deleted member 4708

M
And here is one by Magico, taken from this forum:
index.php
What I said is they (Wilson/Magico) do not offer any measurements despite claims of engineering.
Now - is the above measurement anywhere close to the top speakers today? The question was clear - what is the preference score for that?
Last, but not lastly: For the ridiculous amount they charge, they should all measure excellent. Not good, not even very good. Excellent measurements are a must when you make "engineering" claims for THAT amount of money. All of them. No exception.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
... As for very good - what's their preference rating score? I have not seen any Magico in top 20.

My first good laugh of the day, thank you.

HenryB

Last, but not lastly. For the ridiculous amount they charge, they should all measure excellent. All of them. No exception.
You are obviously not their target audience; most can care less about measurements. To each his own. However, they claim good engineering, and all facts available look like they do indeed offer that (unlike Wilson).

D

Deleted member 4708

You are obviously not their target audience; most can care less about measurements. To each his own. However, they claim good engineering, and all facts look like they do indeed offer that.

Not debating the results / existing measurements.

Magico A5 has a 6.0 rating. That is good.
My gripe is lack of transparency (manufacturer's OWN measurements while charging a high price).
Once you (as a company) make engineering claims please do provide the proof of your engineering. Be proud of it. And cut the cable lifters when demoing - it goes against the engineering claims.

HenryB

Magico A5 has a 6.0 rating. That is good.
My gripe is lack of transparency (while charging a high price).
Once you (as a company) make engineering claims please do provide the proof of your engineering. Be proud of it. And cut the cable lifters when demoing - it goes against the engineering claims.
And if they do all that, would you buy them? I don't think so ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, they are what they are. If you don't mind the price, they're a very nice speaker. I'm kinda tickled they don't have huge dips in the upper midrange and weird peaks at 4.5kHz. I began to think that was the benchmark of high-end design.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd caution against taking the preference score too seriously. Not only is it simply an average of what most people prefer, but a lot of other things like room acoustics matter a lot.

D

Deleted member 4708

I'd caution against taking the preference score too seriously. Not only is it simply an average of what most people prefer, but a lot of other things like room acoustics matter a lot.
Absolutely agreed! However, given the very high price of Magico and their engineering claims I'd expect better in terms of preference index score. And transparency in measurements... now I do sound like a broken record. Will stop here; people here are smart and I am sure my point got across :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely agreed! However, given the very high price of Magico and their engineering claims I'd expect better in terms of preference index score. And transparency in measurements... now I do sound like a broken record. Will stop here; people here are smart and I am sure my point got across :)
Dunno. I just stare at the frequency response on and off axis to get my impression. I know what I like. The preference curve is great if you're a manufacturer trying to sell products that the most people are going to like. And that's a smart goal.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
There are quite a few 6.0 or better speakers for less than 1/2 the price of A5 - https://international.kef.com/products/r3 has a 6.5 score
Genelec 8361A is 6.8 (less than half price of A5) - a way better speaker than A5

That Genelec is an exceptionally good speaker. But it also looks like a giant cartoon of itself. Many will admire the form-follows-function approach of the Finnish company on that score. Others won't and will happily pay more for something they can bear to look at. And the Magico A5 will sound excellent. As always, values are multi-faceted and "way better" is going to depend on what combination of qualities you value.

Top Bottom