• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico - 2022 interview with Alon Wolf - he's a big measurements guy

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's pretty good, other than the characteristic 10kHz drop-off.

Seems to be deliberate since it shows up in multiple products
At first I thought I was having deja vu, but we really have had this discussion before - see 'Magico A5 spinorama (CEA2034)' ;)

In the frequency range above 7kHz, the radiation of a tweeter can be influenced very easily by the smallest waveguide or just by a small "step" in the tweeter front panel.
1664054897087.png
Source: German forum
Agree, with the A5 it looks like the downward slope above 10kHz has been implemented deliberately or to reduce crossover components.
You can find more details about how the smallest changes in the tweeter front panel affect the radiation in the previous thread.

HenryB

There is no "step". Waveguide on A5/A3 tweeters is smooth. I linked to another frq. response, so one can see the whole picture.

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Sure there's a big markup but for those complaining at the price, look at the machining (and man/woman hours they mention) that goes into these things.

This also shows the Klippel system setup for R&D

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no "step". Waveguide on A5/A3 tweeters is smooth. I linked to another frq. response, so one can see the whole picture.
Please take a look at the posts I linked before your post.

Here you can find details about what this first "step" does.
Here is the answer to the same question from the linked old Magico A5 thread.

1664116609675.png

sectional view of the tweeter (simplified illustration):
1664117167372.png

There are very few dome tweeters that do not have this control of the radiation of the frequency range above about 7kHz in one way or another.

Last edited:

nerdoldnerdith

Well, everyone here will express little to no difference to 8361 against the $700,000 overprice speaker.
I got to hear them at AXPONA. They sounded great but not significantly better than my Salon2's. I thought the best speakers at the show were actually from Vivid Audio. Nothing I heard was comparable to state-of-the-art active monitors like the Dutch&Dutch 8C or Genelec.

HenryB

Please take a look at the posts I linked before your post.

Here you can find details about what this first "step" does.
Here is the answer to the same question from the linked old Magico A5 thread.

View attachment 233187

sectional view of the tweeter (simplified illustration):
View attachment 233189

There are very few dome tweeters that do not have this control of the radiation of the frequency range above about 7kHz in one way or another.
There is no "parallel" section, not one that I can see (I own the A5, I am looking at it). It is a smooth spline (you can see it is smooth in the photo you attached). Again, please look at MC frq response, it does not comply with your example. (https://www.magico.net/images/Reviews/A3/HFC.pdf).

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no "parallel" section, not one that I can see (I own the A5, I am looking at it!). It is a smooth spline (you can see it is smooth in the photo you attached). Again, please look at MC frq response (https://www.magico.net/images/Reviews/A3/HFC.pdf).
It's more about the general principle than the nitty gritty details - it is only a basic drawing. Whether the sectional view of the tweeter shows a "none, partially or completely rounded first step" is not so crucial. What is important is that this "first steep step" is very important for radiation control above 7kHz.

1664124985209.png
233176-020f550ccc9cbf40542f88b8a38f5a1e.jpg

I could of course have misinterpreted the photo, for it looks as if directly after the tweeter surround comes a 2-4mm steeper rise of the WG.
It would be really unusual if the WG, directly following the surround, would show a flat rise.
1664126147776.png

For example, here a WG for a compression driver where a "big first step" of 4mm is used, before the WG gets more and more flat.
1664125745702.png

HenryB

We will have to agree to disagree on this particular case (I understand that a waveguide will tailor the response - no argument there). This is a physical behavior of a pistonic dome (I have seen your basic simulation on the link you sent, they are not considering materials behavior, true pistonic cone will exhibit some frq cancelation due to its shape, the exact same frq are propagating with an offset, they will not arrive at the mic in unison, creating slight phase anomalies - again look at the other response i provided, the frq level return after the initial roll-off, that is not following your premise) . Have a look at another pistonic case; diamond tweeter response, note a similar pattern (https://accuton.com/en-home/produkte/lautsprecher/diamant/Diamant-BD25-6-258-CELL). Regardless, the results are phenomenal. Best overall highs I heard.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But likely expected by potential customers....
And perhaps, placed there as paid advertising by the snake oil consortium who makes them.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to get worked up about Magico. Yeah, they are very expensive, but at least you get a very competent product. Not every high-end speaker manufacturer can honestly say that.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, companies have to do what they need to so that they can move their products.
Yup. Put their useless crap by a Magico, and they probably sell themselves to the unwary.

HenryB

Yup. Put their useless crap by a Magico, and they probably sell themselves to the unwary.
I am using cable lifters, I think it sounds better (it can just be a placebo, so what), and my wife thinks it looks better. What's the problem??

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using cable lifters, I think it sounds better (it can just be a placebo, so?), and my wife thinks it looks better. What's the problem??
Lol have fun. I'll give you credit for guts mentioning that on ASR, if you're serious.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using cable lifters, I think it sounds better (it can just be a placebo, so what), and my wife thinks it looks better. What's the problem??
The issue is that some unscrupulous sellers are offering cable lifters made of materials claimed to change the sound for the better and they expense those at a very very high amount to the end user. ASR is anti-snake oil and cable lifters are snake oil. Cable lifers are there with crystals and adhesive devices that have no explanation for what is claimed but again the expense for this snake oil is very high.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am having fun, not sure why would it bother anyone.
I'm cool, since I didn't pay for them. You may get static if you claim they have sonic virtues here. I have my popcorn.

Top Bottom