• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MA12070 vs TPA3255 (Scientific Measurements Aside)

AudioArchitech

inaccurate level matching? like i said, the differences are quite noticeable. try it yourself

(fyi, my speakers are fairly high end, quite resolving, high end crossovers... 89db sensitivity 4 ohm )

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
inaccurate level matching? like i said, the differences are quite noticeable.
Yes. An SPL meter is a poor way to do it. Electrical measurements at the speaker terminals are far more precise.

If the differences are quite noticeable, then surely you can demonstrate them using basic controls. Until you do, this is presumably imaginary.

AudioArchitech

If they were 100% level matched, using a switcher, yes I would surely still hear the differences, but even more. Like I said, it's quite obvious. Not taking away that this little A08 is excellent for the price. Without question my 6000A sounds better. At really low volume, the difference is harder to tell apart. At higher volumes, the 6000A kicks the A08's ass by a fair margin. Funny that you find it so hard to believe. I have had quite a few different amps in my system and they all sound slightly different. Maybe the Denon and Marantz AVR's sounded similar, except the Marantz SR7200. I think partly the Toroidal transformers.. made a difference there. The Denon PMA-800ne was good too but sold that and kept the Audiolab 6000A. Really liked the ATI amps I've had too. Again, I think which speakers you are using makes a big difference. My $5K speakers are really good, extremely revealing. If powering some decent $100-1000 8 ohm speaker, the differences are less noticeable. I have tried that too, have a set of Boston Acoustics Soundware for outside, Audiolab is still better on those but I am perfectly happy with the A08 on them.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If they were 100% level matched, using a switcher, yes I would surely still hear the differences, but even more. Like I said, it's quite obvious.
Famous last words.

So still presumably imaginary. I'm being serious here- I was stunned at how many obvious differences I knew I could hear clearly went away when I finally tried doing actual controls for ears-only. It's something you need to try, and you'll get much help here.

AudioArchitech

I have been trying to convince myself to sell the Audiolab and buy another cheap ClassD like this Aiyima. It's how I ended up here, searching for comparisons between SMSL AO200 and Aiyima A07/08... Hoping to free up some funds to try some other gear, replace my dead subwoofer amplifier... As much as I miss my subwoofer, I'm not willing to switch from Audiolab to A08 on my main system.

AudioArchitech

also, hifi tip. don’t plug amp into a power bar, plug straight into the wall. that made a big difference on the A08 TPA3255

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If they were 100% level matched, using a switcher, yes I would surely still hear the differences, but even more. Like I said, it's quite obvious. Not taking away that this little A08 is excellent for the price. Without question my 6000A sounds better. At really low volume, the difference is harder to tell apart. At higher volumes, the 6000A kicks the A08's ass by a fair margin. Funny that you find it so hard to believe. I have had quite a few different amps in my system and they all sound slightly different. Maybe the Denon and Marantz AVR's sounded similar, except the Marantz SR7200. I think partly the Toroidal transformers.. made a difference there. The Denon PMA-800ne was good too but sold that and kept the Audiolab 6000A. Really liked the ATI amps I've had too. Again, I think which speakers you are using makes a big difference. My $5K speakers are really good, extremely revealing. If powering some decent $100-1000 8 ohm speaker, the differences are less noticeable. I have tried that too, have a set of Boston Acoustics Soundware for outside, Audiolab is still better on those but I am perfectly happy with the A08 on them.

Uh huh...

Like I said, funny

Uh huh...

AudioArchitech

uh huh.... no difference between 6000A and A08 ....uh huh... : )

just a bunch of placebo scams...

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
uh huh.... no difference between 6000A and A08 ....uh huh... : )

just a bunch of placebo scams...
I don't think anyone here is saying that. The TPA3255 is a heck of a bargain but it does not have a very smooth distortion curve as frequency or power changes, so I would not be surprised if the Audiolab sounds better. It is just that without either measurements or a well controlled blind AB test, we are not willing to accept that your subjective opinion is valid for most other listeners. That doesn't mean they aren't, just that we have no way of knowing.

Amplifier dude

The best TPA3255 amp is probably the Icepower 200AS1 or 200AS2. Beautiful boards

94C3561C-6FB5-4F5C-963B-D097566C6B93.jpeg

204C3761-E567-468A-B325-195F0E2857C6.jpeg

Walter

Yes, but not sure what that has to do with which one is "best." I personally have no idea, but if I were to buy either, I'd get the JLE simply because we have measurements on it showing excellent performance. The one tested employed PFFB, I believe, but I'm not sure to what extent that improved performance. Has anyone done similar tests on the 200AS2? I'd be truly interested to see them. I've toyed with the idea of building an amp using the JLE, but realistically I am unlikely to find the time to do so, and I have soldered maybe 3 times in the last 30 years. Maybe if I was still traveling to the Philippines on a regular basis and could pick one up in person.

Amplifier dude

Icepower has a comprehensive datasheet with more measurements than Amir even runs in the link I shared.

Walter

Icepower has a comprehensive datasheet with more measurements than Amir even runs in the link I shared.
I take manufacturer ratings with several grains of salt, but those do look good.

Amplifier dude

I take manufacturer ratings with several grains of salt, but those do look good.
They're accurate. I've measured them myself. Icepower doesn't mess around with measurements. They sell to OEM's who have the gear to measure them. There not a boutique audiophile market brand.

Top Bottom