• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MA12070 vs TPA3255 (Scientific Measurements Aside)

DACslut

I have an AIYIMA A07 (TPA3255) with it's stock power supply and rolled to the OPA1656 opamps. I also have an unmodified SABAJ A10a (MA12070). I really like both amps but the AIYIMA gives me a noticeably more pleasurable listening experience. I'm still trying to determine exactly why this is?

My speakers used with both amps have been the Micca RB42's and Sony SS-CS5's, both minus a subwoofer. I just purchased an S.M.S.L AO200 (DA-9's newer cousin) featuring dual MA12070 chips and haven't had a chance to power it up yet. I'm fully expecting that more sophisticated and expensive amplifier to objectively dethrone the rolled A07. I know the AIYIMA amp is an incredible overachiever, but everything has it's limits, right?

I would really enjoy hearing from any members who also own both kinds of amps and their comparatively subjective opinions and experiences. Thanks and feel free to ask me any unscientific questions concerning this subject.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Pretty simple, the TPA3255 is capable of way more output than the MA12070, meaning that at the same output level it's running further from its limits. The MA12070 example board reaches 1% THD (which is way into its clipping "hockey stick") at less than 20 watts into 8 ohms and about 30 into 4 ohms. The TPA3255, on the other hand, has been shown to do 70+ watts into 4 ohms without clipping, given the right power supply.

So, what you're hearing is the amp running cleaner.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Aiyima a04 and a07 is well constructed implementations of tpa 3251 and tpa 3255.
I have two of a04. Both with lm4562.

I have compared with much more expensive amplifiers and my a04 is sounding better.

Texas instruments have done a really good job with the tpa serie. Even the tpa 3116/3118 is really good.
I use meanwell power supply 30 V, 6 A for my a04.

Katji

Major Contributor
Texas instruments have done a really good job with the tpa serie. Even the tpa 3116/3118 is really good.
Anyone know anything about TI TPA3251 ? Searches never come up with much.

OP
D

DACslut

Pretty simple, the TPA3255 is capable of way more output than the MA12070, meaning that at the same output level it's running further from its limits. The MA12070 example board reaches 1% THD (which is way into its clipping "hockey stick") at less than 20 watts into 8 ohms and about 30 into 4 ohms. The TPA3255, on the other hand, has been shown to do 70+ watts into 4 ohms without clipping, given the right power supply.

The MA1270 can go down to 2Ω and I haven't come across any TPA3255 amps with that capability. Also, not sure what dual MA1270's accomplish in the newer amp designs but the S.M.S.L's that feature them are getting rave reviews from just about everybody.

Katji

Major Contributor
Thanks. Weird - I thought I had that, but I don't remember reading any of it, and it seems that I saved the spec sheets for the DAC, DSP, ADC, but not the amps. :rolleyes: (Edifier S3000Pro.) Maybe I only searched forums...? I was looking for what people had said about it, but there's plenty worth reading in the spec sheet.

[edit/PS:] Ohh, interesting, because this is the DAC they used:

1627193913845.png

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The MA1270 can go down to 2Ω and I haven't come across any TPA3255 amps with that capability. Also, not sure what dual MA1270's accomplish in the newer amp designs but the S.M.S.L's that feature them are getting rave reviews from just about everybody.
It's just because TPA3255 runs at higher voltages and has output filter. You can definitely design 3255 around 2ohm loads. Driving low impedance load is not an issue with class D amplifiers.

OP
D

DACslut

All that stuff kind of explains why S.M.S.L's engineers decided to incorporate a "soft clipping" setting with their new dual MA12070 designs? They seem to be overwhelmingly well received by their respective owners. I did notice a few grumblings about the DA-9's build quality and it's display locking. I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep the Sabaj A10a now that I've got the S.M.S.L AO200.

On another note, why would anyone spend more money on a budget-friendly but inferior, basic amp when an opamp upgraded AIYIMA A07 is all you need? The Volt+ D (Double) 2x60W amp comes to mind. I chose to add to my audio arsenal with the AO200 because of it's many useful features and positive vibes it's DA-9 cousin is receiving from several audiophile circles. However, I will NEVER give up my A07 unless someone threatens my life and even then I would probably hesitate.

Last edited:

Fiets

All that stuff kind of explains why S.M.S.L's engineers decided to incorporate a "soft clipping" setting with their new dual MA12070 designs? They seem to be overwhelmingly well received by their respective owners. I did notice a few grumblings about the DA-9's build quality and it's display locking. I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep the Sabaj A10a now that I've got the S.M.S.L AO200.

On another note, why would anyone spend more money on a budget-friendly but inferior, basic amp when an opamp upgraded AIYIMA A07 is all you need? The Volt+ D (Double) 2x60W amp comes to mind. I chose to add to my audio arsenal with the AO200 because of it's many useful features and positive vibes it's DA-9 cousin is receiving from several audiophile circles. However, I will NEVER give up my A07 unless someone threatens my life and even then I would probably hesitate.
I’ve been so curious about the Volt. How would you say it compares and contrasts with the a07? And the a07 versus the newer chips in the Sabaj a10? They are all in a similar price setting but with seemingly different followings. As one of the few whose had all three it would be cool to hear your likes and dislikes about them.

OP
D

DACslut

I’ve been so curious about the Volt. How would you say it compares and contrasts with the a07? And the a07 versus the newer chips in the Sabaj a10? They are all in a similar price setting but with seemingly different followings. As one of the few whose had all three it would be cool to hear your likes and dislikes about them.

Sorry, I never owned or listened to the Volt amp. You should be just fine with the A10a if you need remote controlling, EQ options and a SW line out. Otherwise, go with an A07 (which also has a 3.5mm aux in/out that can be used for an active SW) and upgrade the 2 opamps. I pasted below my review of the A07 from earlier this month. I wasn't compensated by anybody in any way.

***** !!! ROLL THE OPAMPS !!!
Reviewed in the United States on July 6, 2021
Size: A07+DC 32V Power AdapterVerified Purchase

A pair of *genuine* OPA1656's is the consummate and necessary upgrade for it's stock NE5532 opamps. No regrets with this amp whatsoever after rolling. The A07 now gives a very pleasing, laid back and an analog, almost vinyl-like sound quality to the music! Bass performance is also quite noticeably improved as well. Budget Class D amplification is now refined AND redefined Ladies and Germs!

Unfortunately for them, most if not all reviewers criticizing the amp's tonality shortcomings, lack of soundstage, etc., have not upgraded the A07's opamps. They're invariably denying themselves a dramatically improved and truly immersive listening experience. The physical effort and monetary investment required to upgrade is extremely miniscule when the process' end result (your listening experience) is taken into consideration.

I'm currently feeding the A07 music from a Khadas Tone Board (Generic) DAC via USB C connection. Unless your speakers are woefully inefficient or you like damaging your hearing, the included power supply should provide more than ample decibel levels. My Sony SS-CS5 bookshelf speakers absolutely LOVE this little beast! I didn't even like listening to the Sony's much until hooking them up to the rolled Aiyima. After a couple hours of listening at decently (and occasionally indecently) loud levels, the amp and it's power supply felt no worse than lukewarm. The volume control slightly rubs on the chassis when rotating it, but in no way does this affect the sound quality or it's functionality.

I fully realize this somewhat rambling review might seem slightly hyperbolic, but I can assure you it actually isn't. Don't hesitate if you're thinking about buying AND upgrading it. The cost of rolling is less than a Jackson if you already have an IC puller tool. It only took me about a total of 10 minutes to upgrade. Don't bother thanking me for the advice. You'll thank yourself after experiencing that warm, fuzzy feeling you get when a simple accomplishment yields such an overwhelmingly gratifying result.

Last edited:

Fiets

Sorry, I never owned or listened to the Volt amp. You should be just fine with the A10a if you need remote controlling and a SW line out, otherwise go with an A07 (which also has a 3.5mm aux out that can be used for an active SW) and upgrade opamps. I pasted below my review of the A07 from earlier this month. I wasn't compensated by anybody in any way.:

***** !!! ROLL THE OPAMPS !!!
Reviewed in the United States on July 6, 2021
Size: A07+DC 32V Power AdapterVerified Purchase

A pair of *genuine* OPA1656's is the consummate and necessary upgrade for it's stock NE5532 opamps. No regrets with this amp whatsoever after rolling. The A07 now gives a very pleasing, laid back and an analog, almost vinyl-like sound quality to the music! Bass performance is also quite noticeably improved as well. Budget Class D amplification is now refined AND redefined Ladies and Germs!

Unfortunately for them, most if not all reviewers criticizing the amp's tonality shortcomings, lack of soundstage, etc., have not upgraded the A07's opamps. They're invariably denying themselves a dramatically improved and truly immersive listening experience. The physical effort and monetary investment required to upgrade is extremely miniscule when the process' end result (your listening experience) is taken into consideration.

I'm currently feeding the A07 music from a Khadas Tone Board (Generic) DAC via USB C connection. Unless your speakers are woefully inefficient or you like damaging your hearing, the included power supply should provide more than ample decibel levels. My Sony SS-CS5 bookshelf speakers absolutely LOVE this little beast! I didn't even like listening to the Sony's much until hooking them up to the rolled Aiyima. After a couple hours of listening at decently (and occasionally indecently) loud levels, the amp and it's power supply felt no worse than lukewarm. The volume control slightly rubs on the chassis when rotating it, but in no way does this affect the sound quality or it's functionality.

I fully realize this somewhat rambling review might seem slightly hyperbolic, but I can assure you it actually isn't. Don't hesitate if you're thinking about buying AND upgrading it. The cost of rolling is less than a Jackson if you already have an IC puller tool. It only took me about a total of 10 minutes to upgrade. Don't bother thanking me for the advice. You'll thank yourself after experiencing that warm, fuzzy feeling you get when a simple accomplishment yields such an overwhelmingly gratifying result.
Correct me if I’m wrong here, but you are saying the Aiyima a07 and the Sabaj a10a are pretty equal, as far as performance is concerned…? The Sabaj hasn’t been reviewed here yet, so I’m curious about the differences from a real user of the equipment.

OP
D

DACslut

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but you are saying the Aiyima a07 and the Sabaj a10a are pretty equal, as far as performance is concerned…? The Sabaj hasn’t been reviewed here yet, so I’m curious about the differences from a real user of the equipment.

The A07 has a higher wattage output, but the Sabaj is much more feature laden. If you don't need the features, your best bet is the A07 hands down.

OP
D

DACslut

Which amp would have the higher power efficiency at equally moderate volume levels, the S.M.S.L AO200 with dual MA1270's or the AIYIMA A07's single TPA3255 driving identical speaker loads and using RCA inputs only? Thanks and please forgive my ignorance!

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Which amp would have the higher power efficiency at equally moderate volume levels, the S.M.S.L AO200 with dual MA1270's or the AIYIMA A07's single TPA3255 driving identical speaker loads and using RCA inputs only? Thanks and please forgive my ignorance!

Why you care about power efficiency specifically? All class D amps are fairly efficient and run relatively cool.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I have an AIYIMA A07 (TPA3255) with its stock power supply and rolled to the OPA1656 opamps.

DACslut, do you have a good North American source for dip 8 OPA1656 amps? I have the A07 and love it, but am intrigued by your praise of the substitution...

Reactions: buz
OP
D

DACslut

Why you care about power efficiency specifically? All class D amps are fairly efficient and run relatively cool.

I have a generic Jackery-style power station I like to use remotely sometimes and just wondered which one would last the longest by itself. I've got a Xudoo X3 that would be feeding them.

Last edited:
OP
D

DACslut

DACslut, do you have a good North American source for dip 8 OPA1656 amps? I have the A07 and love it, but am intrigued by your praise of the substitution...

The U.S. eBay seller I got them from sold out a few weeks ago. He's been selling them for quite a while now, so he'll probably have them back in stock hopefully sometime soon.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
The U.S. eBay seller I got them from sold out a few weeks ago. He's been selling them for quite a while now, so he'll probably have them back in stock hopefully sometime soon.
Do you have a seller name for him? I could message him and let him know I'm interested. So many fakes out there, I gather...

Top Bottom