• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MA12070 vs TPA3255 (Scientific Measurements Aside)

Fiets

What would we say are the advantages & disadvantages of both the tpa3255 and ma1270?

OP
D

DACslut

What would we say are the advantages & disadvantages of both the tpa3255 and ma1270?

My subjective opinion, whatever that's worth, has the TPA3255 amps giving a more warm, laid-back and slightly more open sound signature. The MA1270 amps seem to be a little dryer and more analytical with somewhat tighter bass rounding things out. Keep in mind there's a huge amount of variables involved, such as power and signal source, speakers and their placement, room acoustics, cables, interconnects, etc. I still haven't gotten around to auditioning either of the MA1270 amps (Sabaj A10a & S.M.S.L AO200) I have with my 80th Ann. Wharfedale Dentons. The Denton's are inherently warm and laid-back, typical British-style sounding but absolutely wonderful speakers nonetheless. Keep in mind psychoacoustic variables play a critical role in the scheme of things too.

OP
D

DACslut

Do you have a seller name for him? I could message him and let him know I'm interested. So many fakes out there, I gather...

Please let me know if/when you hear from him and what the stock replenishment status is, thanks.

Clayton_78

I was very interested in this post because it is precisely about the doubts I have.
I want to buy an amplifier based on the Infineon IC to hear its sound, but my TPA3255 sounds so good that I honestly doubt the Infineon IC will sound so good.
I read that he seems more analytical, that he has more compact bass... huuuuuum...
I like my TPA3255 so much precisely because it doesn't sound "cold", besides of course the dynamics of its sound and the feeling that it won't lack power.
I think I will abort buying the SMSL implementation and maybe buy another cheaper model that is based on the Infineon IC just to see what it sounds like.

OP
D

DACslut

I was very interested in this post because it is precisely about the doubts I have.
I want to buy an amplifier based on the Infineon IC to hear its sound, but my TPA3255 sounds so good that I honestly doubt the Infineon IC will sound so good.
I read that he seems more analytical, that he has more compact bass... huuuuuum...
I like my TPA3255 so much precisely because it doesn't sound "cold", besides of course the dynamics of its sound and the feeling that it won't lack power.
I think I will abort buying the SMSL implementation and maybe buy another cheaper model that is based on the Infineon IC just to see what it sounds like.

I like my S.M.S.L AO200 quite a bit so far and believe I'll be keeping it. I do prefer the Aiyima A07's overall sound signature. However, I haven't seen a TPA3255 amp that matches the AO200's feature set, if one even exists yet. I saw on Aliexpress some vendor was offering basic 600W TPA3255 monoblock amplifiers with internal power supplies. An ideal scenario for me if I could afford them would be to buy a pair of those and hook up a feature-laden DAC with a remote control, BT 5, EQ, etc. Forgive me, I'm fantasizing again.

Last edited:

Clayton_78

I like my S.M.S.L AO200 quite a bit so far and believe I'll be keeping it. I do prefer the Aiyima A07's overall sound signature. However. I haven't seen a TPA3255 amp that matches the AO200's feature set, if one even exists yet. I saw on Aliexpress some vendor was offering basic 600W TPA3255 monoblock amplifiers with internal power supplies. An ideal scenario for me if I could afford them would be to buy a pair of those and hook up a feature-laden DAC with a remote control, BT 5, EQ, etc. Forgive me, I'm fantasizing again.

My TPA is not a finished unit.
It was built from a 3e Audio board and I still can't hear it.
I'm thinking of building now a dual mono from two mono 3e Audio boards, each with its power supply.
The sound of this TPA is really good.

Clayton_78

lithoc

Beautiful units!
Yes, they have this switch that switches between full range / low pass.
I think a couple of these in unibody layout would be quite nice.

I tried to connect to a 2ohm speaker(to get closer to 600w) . It shutdown due to overcurrent.

By looking at the power supply (40v ) , the output inductor (too small) and design layout. At most you get is 200w @ 4 ohm.

Unless they beef up the voltage and inductor , this amp will never reach it's full potential

Clayton_78

I tried to connect to a 2ohm speaker(to get closer to 600w) . It shutdown due to overcurrent.

By looking at the power supply (40v ) , the output inductor (too small) and design layout. At most you get is 200w @ 4 ohm.

Unless they beef up the voltage and inductor , this amp will never reach it's full potential
I'm going to assemble a pair of monoblocks similar to these and in each of them I'm going to use a 48V source.
The amplifier of each monoblock will be the one in the image.
I hope to have good results.

Attachments

• Hce59aa8a5c5f4396a8781ad7c2e3d9afK.png
    Hce59aa8a5c5f4396a8781ad7c2e3d9afK.png
    630.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Hf6b21a0520f5454e9516fa68f80abefdP.png
    Hf6b21a0520f5454e9516fa68f80abefdP.png
    715.4 KB · Views: 197

lithoc

I'm going to assemble a pair of monoblocks similar to these and in each of them I'm going to use a 48V source.
The amplifier of each monoblock will be the one in the image.
I hope to have good results.
Careful with the decoupling capacitor max volt . I believe it's 50v . There's a regulator voltage regulator for 12v also . Check the parts for its maximum voltage it support.

48v is too close to its maximum rating

Inductor rating is another to watch out at high ampere load for speaker with lower than 3ohm

Clayton_78

Careful with the decoupling capacitor max volt . I believe it's 50v . There's a regulator voltage regulator for 12v also . Check the parts for its maximum voltage it support.

48v is too close to its maximum rating

Inductor rating is another to watch out at high ampere load for speaker with lower than 3ohm

Thanks for the comments.
I should adjust the power supply voltage to something close to 40V precisely because of the insulation voltage of the capacitors. I think the power supplies allow me to adjust from 42 to 54V
I'm going to use 6ohm speakers, in which case I shouldn't have a problem with the inductors, am I correct?

Greetings

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Unpopular opinions based on some decades of experience:

Power can matter; not always, but sometimes. The rest... not so much.

Opamp rolling is a sucker's game, at best will not actually improve anything sonic, and can very much make things worse.

Imagination is the key here, and that fuels a lot of the crap that people spew on internet forums. People love storytelling, it's wired into our brains. That's why true ears-only testing is the ONLY way to validate perceived sonic differences.

Imaginary problems are the most difficult to solve.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Opamp rolling is a sucker's game, at best will not actually improve anything sonic, and can very much make things worse.

It is of my opinion in audio that, unfortunately, “different” often translates to “better”.
Therefore “worse” occasionally translates to some as “better”.

And when it happens (often referred to as “magic/synergy”), the larger the “difference” between A & B, the greater the “improvement”.

OP
D

DACslut

Unpopular opinions based on some decades of experience:

Power can matter; not always, but sometimes. The rest... not so much.

Imagination is the key here, and that fuels a lot of the crap that people spew on internet forums. People love storytelling, it's wired into our brains. That's why true ears-only testing is the ONLY way to validate perceived sonic differences.

Imaginary problems are the most difficult to solve.

Well, try and sell that opinion to the millions of tube rollers out there, essentially the same difference isn't it? I'm surprised a so-called "Technical Expert" like you made that comment.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well, try and sell that opinion to the millions of tube rollers out there, essentially the same difference isn't it? I'm surprised a so-called "Technical Expert" like you made that comment.
Maybe try and ask yourself why and think logically rather than immediately discredit someone obviously more knowledgeable than you.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
So I'm supposed to join in the game of Make Believe? No thanks, I live in the world of data and evidence. And likely have designed, built, and serviced an order of magnitude more tube amps than the "tube rollers."

OP
D

DACslut

Maybe try and ask yourself why and think logically rather than immediately discredit someone obviously more knowledgeable than you.

I took issue with his "Opamp rolling is a sucker's game, at best will not actually improve anything sonic, and can very much make things worse." comment. You could argue pretty much the whole audiophile scene is a sucker's game if that's the case. That's kind of like saying interconnects, speaker wire and power cord preferences, etc., is a sucker's game. Oh, I almost forgot the "Burn-In" mythology, lol.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Tube rolling in hi-fi equipment is a farce. It matters in guitar amps because the clipping behavior is different sometimes. That doesn't translate to hi-fi amplifiers.

I took issue with his "Opamp rolling is a sucker's game, at best will not actually improve anything sonic, and can very much make things worse." comment. You could argue pretty much the whole audiophile scene is a sucker's game if that's the case. That's kind of like saying interconnects, speaker wire and power cord preferences, etc., is a sucker's game. Oh, I almost forgot the "Burn-In" mythology, lol.

Yes, most of it is. It's your eyes fooling your ears.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You could argue pretty much the whole audiophile scene is a sucker's game if that's the case. That's kind of like saying interconnects, speaker wire and power cord preferences, etc., is a sucker's game. Oh, I almost forgot the "Burn-In" mythology, lol.

Except for pathological cases, yes. those things are a scam.

Top Bottom