• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

Alonso28

The amp itself is as fine as any regular amplifier at the $1000-1500 price point. Room correction and streaming is worth another $1009-1500. I think it is a good deal but it is an entry-level product.

I even suspect the NAD C399 might measure better. However, as a lifestyle product, industrial design and usability are just as important. I hate BluOS. I love web-based interfaces.
I mostly agree! But measurements are not a decision making parameter for me. Important in some point...yes. But I think are other more importante things, like the way that a gear delivers and makes u feel music. (Ares Denafrips measures regular, and its one of the most popular dacs nowdays, because of its price relation and quality, and that special firmware it has of space and richness)
In case of non treated or poor treated rooms, Lyngdorf is just an amazing tool, in terms of usability and versatility with different sources too. Its weak point in some way might be delivery power.
Im planning to use it as a preamp with another robust amp, so that way ill take vantage of its features and usability. In this case that fits for me.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I mostly agree! But measurements are not a decision making parameter for me. Important in some point...yes. But I think are other more importante things, like the way that a gear delivers and makes u feel music. (Ares Denafrips measures regular, and its one of the most popular dacs nowdays, because of its price relation and quality, and that special firmware it has of space and richness)
In case of non treated or poor treated rooms, Lyngdorf is just an amazing tool, in terms of usability and versatility with different sources too. Its weak point in some way might be delivery power.
Im planning to use it as a preamp with another robust amp, so that way ill take vantage of its features and usability. In this case that fits for me.
Mine is driving a pair of LS50 Meta's without a subwoofer just fine, but I am sitting only 9 get away.

I can see that it can use more power.

Note that it has no XLR pre-outs.

Perhaps Lyngdorf should have a cheaper and more open version of the Steinway Lyngdorf SP-1 processor but with 2x XLR and 2x SE for subs.

The 1120 also relies on Chromecast/AirPlay for Qobuz/Tidal unless you use Roon like me.

Alonso28

Mine is driving a pair of LS50 Meta's without a subwoofer just fine, but I am sitting only 9 get away.

I can see that it can use more power.

Note that it has no XLR pre-outs.

Perhaps Lyngdorf should have a cheaper and more open version of the Steinway Lyngdorf SP-1 processor but with 2x XLR and 2x SE for subs.

The 1120 also relies on Chromecast/AirPlay for Qobuz/Tidal unless you use Roon like me.
Do you have the Lyngdorf already, or planning to have it to drive ur ls 50 meta. I also own the same speakers (are great), but also a svs sub. Really helps with the low end, ls 50 meta roll off at about 55 or 60 Hz. I found a good complement in a sub. And that way ther is available more piwer for the ls 50 as the svs is active. But Lyngdorf I think is one of this New species and that is making a difference.

curiouspeter

Do you have the Lyngdorf already, or planning to have it to drive ur ls 50 meta. I also own the same speakers (are great), but also a svs sub. Really helps with the low end, ls 50 meta roll off at about 55 or 60 Hz. I found a good complement in a sub. And that way ther is available more piwer for the ls 50 as the svs is active. But Lyngdorf I think is one of this New species and that is making a difference.
I have the Lyngdorf already. We do not have much space for a sub. Also, we have downstairs neighbors.

I usually listen at -15 dB. I have volume leveling on, so Roon is usually cutting another 5 db behind the scene. From where I sit, the volume level is medium but loud enough for me.

I place the speakers 6 inches from the front wall and they are getting a boost from the room. I do not use the foam plugs.

Alonso28

I have the Lyngdorf already. We do not have much space for a sub. Also, we have downstairs neighbors.

I usually listen at -15 dB. I have volume leveling on, so Roon is usually cutting another 5 db behind the scene. From where I sit, the volume level is medium but loud enough for me.

I place the speakers 6 inches from the front wall and they are getting a boost from the room. I do not use the foam plugs.
Great!!! I have mine almost coming home. How did RP work for u? I have some more room for a sub luckily. And kefs have been a good asset.

Attachments

• 1661280313799113426623884014602.jpg
    1661280313799113426623884014602.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 297

curiouspeter

Great!!! I have mine almost coming home. How did RP work for u? I have some more room for a sub luckily. And kefs have been a good asset.
RP is awesome. Do experiment with various measuring positions though. Also, you can experiment with keeping or removing some of the room treatments and see which is better.

KEF is great. One other option I considered was getting the MH3's with two BW3's. If I hang the speakers, I will have space for the subs. That would cost more though.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not confused, I already know that my friend. You didnt understand what I said...the digital signal in PCM, is converted by a filter to PWM. PWM emulates the analog signal, to achieve that its necesary to send more pulsations to emulate an analog signal. Leave you a link so you can read about PWM. https://digilent.com/blog/whats-the-point-of-a-dac-and-why-do-i-care/
You absolutely are confused. You claimed there is no D-to-A conversion within the device, and there absolutely is. Passive speakers require an analog signal in order to produce sound, regardless of the mechanism by which the analog signal is generated. PWM is simply a specific flavor of DAC.

This shouldn't be read as a criticism of the Lyngdorf, by the way. I'm sure the produced sound is quite good.

dougi

Yes it is disappointing they do not any more. They used to, with the original DPA-1, which I still have.

Alonso28

You absolutely are confused. You claimed there is no D-to-A conversion within the device, and there absolutely is. Passive speakers require an analog signal in order to produce sound, regardless of the mechanism by which the analog signal is generated. PWM is simply a specific flavor of DAC.

This shouldn't be read as a criticism of the Lyngdorf, by the way. I'm sure the produced sound is quite good.
Well, if u are sond engeneer or similar, i might be wrong. For what I was explanada by aún audio expert, its not really an analog signal. But saying im absolutely confused sounds superb. Anywaay Lyngorf is a great device, thats the thing. Regards

curiouspeter

Yes it is disappointing they do not any more. They used to, with the original DPA-1, which I still have.
It is understandable. How will they price it though.

That and the SDA-2400 should cost more than a TDAI-3400. Will anyone buy it for $5000?

I think people will be more interest in something like a new TDAI-2250 for $4000-5000.

curiouspeter

BTW, is it safe to turn off ICC? I don't like the fact that it is introducing inconsistent volume levels. I use volume leveling and I try to use the same volume setting for the situation (e.g. -18 dB for daytime and -30 dB at night).

I think ICC addresses digital clipping in upsampling and not output clipping.

Nxt0206

Hi,

I am new to this forum seeking for several questions about my hifi setup that im currently making.

I have purchased a pair of wharfedale linton heritage 85th. Im currently living in an apartment where the room is quite unforgiving. Hardfloor, banks of windows, flutter echo when clapping in hands, no treatments in room beside fornitures. The livingroom/kitchen is +-36m2.

Im on the edge of buying the tdai 1120, mainly because of the benefits of RP for my room. Where many recommended bw2 as subs since it integrated seemlessly with rp.

Unfortunately those subs are out of my budget range, so im considering a pair of Bk P12-300SB-PR subs.

The 1120, will it drive the linton sufficiently? I dont need the loudest spl since im living in an apartment with neibours, the speakers could dip to 3.2 ohm.

Will the subs intergrate well with rp? Both could be place in front corners of the wall..

Alternative options and advice are very welcome,

Thanks

Tassin

The 1120 will have no trouble at all driving your Wharfedales. Especially when you add a pair of subs, which the 1120 will integrate very well. The 1120 can also easily cope with loads down to 3 Ohms.

Regarding your room, I would consider adding a carpet or some acoustic panels (you can order them with very nice pictures printed on them) on your walls and/or ceiling.

dougi

The 1120 will have no trouble at all driving your Wharfedales. Especially when you add a pair of subs, which the 1120 will integrate very well. The 1120 can also easily cope with loads down to 3 Ohms.

Regarding your room, I would consider adding a carpet or some acoustic panels (you can order them with very nice pictures printed on them) on your walls and/or ceiling.
You may not need subs with the lintons and rp. I didn't in a very large room. Try them by themselves first and see how you go.

curiouspeter

1120 now has tidal connect. This is awesome
MQA support as well! I wonder how they will display the MQA status.

This is awesome. Not that I use Tidal or MQA but it is nice to get new features for free. Just like in a Tesla.

Silly question... does the selected Voicing affect RoomPerfect measurements? Or will I have to use the Neutral voicing for such measurements?

If I were writing the software, I would never use any post-processing EQ for room correction measurements. But who knows...

Last edited:

Tassin

RP measurements don't take a voicing into account, it measures the speakers in your room 'as is' with no voicing applied.

Neutral voicing applies RP EQ as was measured. Other voicings apply a small EQ change to the neutral voicing and thus to RP measurement. Voicings don't alter RP, they allow you to fine tune EQ to your liking.

curiouspeter

RP measurements don't take a voicing into account, it measures the speakers in your room 'as is' with no voicing applied.

Neutral voicing applies RP EQ as was measured. Other voicings apply a small EQ change to the neutral voicing and thus to RP measurement. Voicings don't alter RP, they allow you to fine tune EQ to your liking.
Thanks! That makes sense.

I use a highly modified voicing that cuts out the bass for TV watching. Otherwise, I use Neutral.

Top Bottom