• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Luxman L-509X

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
After thinking about it I think he just put a meter on it and measured in //.

To measure actually output Z you need to drive the amp over known loads and measure V and I, that will give you an equivalent R, and back calculate output Z.
Maybe do the same with a short.

The actual is the amp output Z (mine is ~0.03 Ohm) in // with the 800 Ohm.
Which is ~0.03 Ohm, same as for the speakers.

If in series and headphones are 50 Ohm at full out 31 V, I = 36 mA, so P = 0.26 uW
Will drive a headphone?
Take a look at my math for your example of 50 ohm headphones.
800 ohm example
50/(800+50) X 31=1.82 volts RMS across 50 ohms at max volume. Power = (1.82 x1.82)/50=0.067 watts or 67 milliwatts
80 ohm example
50/(80+50) X 31=11.92 volts RMS across 50 ohms at max volume. Power = (11.92x11.92)/50=2.84 watts

Double check me

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Take a look at my math for your example of 50 ohm headphones.
800 ohm example
50/(800+50) X 31=1.82 volts RMS across 50 ohms at max volume. Power = (1.82 x1.82)/50=0.067 watts or 67 milliwatts
80 ohm example
50/(80+50) X 31=11.92 volts RMS across 50 ohms at max volume. Power = (11.92x11.92)/50=2.84 watts

Double check me
That would be the V if in series, a V divider
At full volume, so the numbers look good.

31V is the max rated into 8 Ohm.
Into 4 Ohm 29 V
So fairly consistent V source
Assume 30 V across the load

30/(800+50) = 35 mA ~ 62 mW

If in //
30/50 ~ 0.6 A ~ 18 W
At normal levels of 5 V, 3 W

I have no idea how much power headphones take.

Ingenieur

Looked at some headphone sensitivity specs, dB / 1 mW
So it is likely in series after all
Assume a very high 600 Ohm phone
At 31 V, P = 300 mW, you only need a few

It looks like it could drive anything

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Looked at some headphone sensitivity specs, dB / 1 mW
So it is likely in series after all
Assume a very high 600 Ohm phone
At 31 V, P = 300 mW, you only need a few

It looks like it could drive anything

And yet, some reviews complain that the headphone jack is lackluster.

AGAINST​

• Headphone output could be better
"We’re less taken with the headphone output. The tonal character of this output is consistent with that we hear through speakers, but using a range of headphones from Grado’s RS-1s and PS500s, as well as the Beyerdynamics’s T1s, we feel the sound is less lively and expressive than we’d like.

If you’re an occasional headphones user, the circuit in the Luxman is fine. However, if you’ve got high-end headphones and want to hear them at their best, a good dedicated outboard amp will do the job better."

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
And yet, some reviews complain that the headphone jack is lackluster.

AGAINST​

• Headphone output could be better
"We’re less taken with the headphone output. The tonal character of this output is consistent with that we hear through speakers, but using a range of headphones from Grado’s RS-1s and PS500s, as well as the Beyerdynamics’s T1s, we feel the sound is less lively and expressive than we’d like.

If you’re an occasional headphones user, the circuit in the Luxman is fine. However, if you’ve got high-end headphones and want to hear them at their best, a good dedicated outboard amp will do the job better."

I have an ifi DSD Signature DAC/Headphone amp and I am hard pressed to hear much difference from the Luxman. That reviewer also said he heard a difference when the meter lamps were turned off. Really???

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have an ifi DSD Signature DAC/Headphone amp and I am hard pressed to hear much difference from the Luxman. That reviewer also said he heard a difference when the meter lamps were turned off. Really???

Mine should arrive on Monday.

I'm curious to see how the headphone jack does with my notoriously hard to drive / inefficient HE6SE.

Ingenieur

Mine should arrive on Monday.

I'm curious to see how the headphone jack does with my notoriously hard to drive / inefficient HE6SE.

If I'm looking at the right ones:
83.5 dB, low efficiency
50 Ohm
~65 mW at 100% volume
That should drive them to ~ 100 dB

Ingenieur

That's below the 114 dB amir tests at.
114 dBA SPL?
Wow
With phones I would think ambient background level would be lower, so a listening level of 75-80 dBA with peaks of 100 would be sufficient.

1639668205404.jpeg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Headphone jack definitely ran out of gas on the HE6SE. I turned the volume to max and it still wasn't loud. Using the speaker outs or external headphone amp was much better.

The Senn HD6XX's (300 ohm) got plenty loud enough, but the tonality sounded a bit off vs headphone amp. Given impedance mismatches can affect FR, this might make sense.

Ingenieur

Stereophile just reviewed the new Luxman M-10x. Not sure if online yet. The review and the cut sheet are the first time I've seen a reputable source and Luxman state A to AB operation. This amp is A up to 12 W.
Per measurements and the block diagram the 509 is similar. Obviously the 10x has a bigger xfmr and additional stages for more power. Based on this it would seem to confirm the 509 is biased A up to 7-8 W as I've read anecdotally stated by Luxman.

Jake Cushing

Judgments? Nah. Observations based on my experience. It is, after all, a US$10k amplifier and deserves some scrutiny. It's an adequate, nicely designed Accuphase power stage. But telling us how good relays are, when they are the source of most distortion, degradation and failure in high powered amplifiers is a joke. Use Mosfets like Accuphase- they are inexpensive and way better. But sure, I love Accuphase and have a few pieces myself (vintage ones).

You want me to get in my time machine De-Lorean to give you "proof" something will fail? I stated the volume control is a likely point of failure "down the track". Electronic volume controls of any type or topology, along with electronic (soft) input switching/selection are susceptible to failure due to spikes, transients and simple component failure. I've dealt with them for decades. Consider that board is a solution looking for a problem- something the Japanese are very good at. They have always loved to create incredibly complicated ways of doing things, just because they can. Rube Goldbergesque.

I mean, look at the PCB. It's just a precision 4 gang volume control (balanced, 2 channels). A motorized four gang, tight tolerance Alps blue could have done the same thing and is also immune to voltage limitations that electronic volume controls are (ie they are easy to overload) And, we know conventional pots last for many decades without trouble. I have plenty that are over 30 years old working perfectly. And, they won't cost you an absolute fortune to replace like an entire PCB will.

Sure, a really nice amplifier and very nicely constructed in order to press all the right audiophile buttons.
The above quote makes eminent sense, and it worries me. I have been considering getting the Luxman L-507uxii... as @restorer-john says, it presses the right buttons (it's simply the best looking classic-style amplifier chassis I have seen). The specs seem decent, but it's AUD $10k...

Are there any new thoughts on this model? Have any of the Luxman integrateds been actually measured properly? I can't find anywhere that has done so.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Have any of the Luxman integrateds been actually measured properly?
“Measured properly” in case of power amplifiers means to be measured with a variety of complex loads, to me. This is necessary with regard to amplifier stability and output stage stress. From my point of view, none of the amplifiers has been measured properly at ASR.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Comparing the Aiyima a07 with this amplifier measured 19+20 KHz IMD might be interesting .
The Luxman (above) is better , and the price is 100 times higher.

EC5C598C-6C2A-4C89-ABF4-3E1EBB8A860A.jpeg
30739B53-71AF-4901-8B0D-5CBB86254EB2.png

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
[Polish] https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacniacze-stereo/3122-luxman-l-509x

To English

luxman-l509x-audiocompl-lab1.png

luxman-l509x-audiocompl-lab2.png

luxman-l509x-audiocompl-lab3.png

LUXMAN L-509X

Rated power (1% THD + N, 1kHz) [W] 8 Ω, 2x 153
Rated power (1% THD + N, 1kHz) [W] 4 Ω, 2x 252
Sensitivity (for maximum power) [V] 1x 0.22
Signal / noise ratio (A-weighted filter, referred to 1W) [dB] 88
Dynamics [dB] 110
Damping factor (referred to 4 Ω) 113

Top Bottom